Suggestions for a restore

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Drygulch, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

This is my Great Great Grandfather's shave brush.
    IMG_5546.JPG IMG_5547.JPG
    I would like to make it serviceable, and preserve it, without removing all the age. Any suggestions? Is this paint probably lead based? He passed away in the 20s.

mrchick, Keithmax, TitanTTB and 2 others like this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

The way it's cracking it sure looks lead based. Id sand the handle down and smooth it out best you can. Buff the plastic orange part. Paint the wood cream again and the lettering.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I made a paperweight out of my mothers pinkie toe 20 years ago. I used a two part resin kit from a hobby store. Maybe you can make the resin up and paint it on the handle to preserve the handle as is?

The resin is clear and would encapsulate the handle forever.

Did a dog chew on it?

4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Wait! Whaaaat?!?!

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm thinking that's quite a story, but I'm not sure I'd want the details.
    Does it start with," Does this look infected...?"
    Not being insensitive, mind you. Never seen a preserved body part.

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bring a chip of the paint to a paint store. They can match the color, either the outside oxidized faded, or the underside that may be original unfaded.

Drygulch likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nitrocellulose lacquer paint was big back then and used on most anything. It's a very brittle paint and is prone to cracking especially over wood which expands and contracts.

You could use some wood filler where the bare wood shows, sand it smooth and then paint it with a urethane. That might get it too "new" compared to what you're looking for and be more of a restoration, but would preserve the brush for another 100 years.

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pinkie toe? Really? Or were you making fun...

RyX, Drygulch and Jim99 like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My thoughts exactly!

:eek::shocked003:

RyX and Drygulch like this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Whatever you do it's going to be some work.

Drygulch likes this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

What about dipping the handle in poly or a clear plasti-coat, if you want to keep it just as your grandfather used it? It would seal the handle without taking away the aged appearance. Anyone try this?

Sent via mobile - Chris

RyX and Drygulch like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I think this was met the idea of what I was wanting. I don't mind the age on it at all.

RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend talking to someone who has done it, since it was your grandfather's. I have done many woodworking projects with polyurethane, but a mistake wouldn't have been a big deal since they didn't have sentimental value. The few things that I have from my grandfather are relatively worthless in terms of monetary value, but are priceless to me.

Sent via mobile - Chris

dustmite, RyX and Drygulch like this.
  14. stingraysrock

Not to derail the OP, but since there are questions about the toe...
    I was a truck driver 20+ years ago. I saw some paperweight looking things in a truck stop somewhere in Arizona. These paperweight looking things had spiders and scorpions and stuff imbedded in them.

Meanwhile, my mother had broken her pinkie toe so many times that a doctor told her the only way to fix it would be to cast her foot and she would need to be off her foot for several weeks. My mother told the doctor that she needed to work, so how about just cutting off the toe.

When I learned of her plan, it reminded me of the paperweights, so I asked her to bring her toe home with her. Then I grabbed a paperweight kit from the hobby store and put it together.

I wanted to put her birth year penny in the bottom but could not find one, so I used my birth year penny instead.

Anyway, the project has stood up to time, and I think a similar process would work for the brush.

But instead of a paperweight, just paint the resin mixture on the handle.

IMG_20170118_195058-1024x1005.jpg

mrchick and Drygulch like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Use semigloss or flat finishes to avoid that New Brush look.

Drygulch and lightcs1776 like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Learn something new every day. Thank you for sharing.

Drygulch likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Adam, that brush is quite a family heirloom! If it were mine, I'd leave it in its original condition and display it proudly with the rest of my brushes. I'd be concerned that I might destroy it trying to preserve or revive it.

Drygulch likes this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I don't have any kind of displays for my shave gear. I have had his straight restored already, cleaned up his barber's hone, and have refreshed his old strop. I really want to use all of this for one shave, because I think that would be an awesome connection. Right now the brush is on my dresser, because I need to keep it out of small hands. If I can't find a way to do it right, I will probably figure out a way to display it.

19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm thinking your Custom Title needs to be amended.

I've been drinking so forgive me if I misunderstood:
    Are you saying your mother's pinky toe is in a block of resin?

RyX, barbersurgeon and Drygulch like this.
  20. stingraysrock

Yalppa, pic shows it all.

Drygulch likes this.