Super-Max Super Stainless blades...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bookworm, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've been working my way through some various blades that I purchased for trial, even though I've found several that are solid performers that I'm quite happy with.

What I've found, in general, is that after 30 years of shaving with safety razors, I can shave with just about any blade without 'training' damage. (slices, weepers, etc). The exceptions were a vintage carbon steel I didn't strop, and Voskhod (no cuts, but it hurt to use). Derby, Dorco, and dollar store Personna aren't stellar performers, but they don't cause damage.

I now have a new blade that I don't want to use again :) (but I will take another blade from an unopened tuck and try it later to see if it's just a single manufacturing defect) (I may have used these before without commenting about them or doing more than dropping them in the recycling)

That's the Super-Max Super Stainless blade from the Yellow and Green box. (The wrapper said "New And Improved", which makes me wonder about the 'original' that it was apparently 'old and terrible')

My first use of the blade was with several days growth, so I wasn't expecting a wonderful experience, even with Arko. I was right. However, usually the second pass is smooth, even with the dollar store blades. In this case, the second pass didn't cut me, but it wasn't pleasant. No afterburn or anything else, just that I could feel this blade digging into the hair and pulling.

So, I assumed this could be because of the coatings, because many people have mentioned that the _second_ shave is better than the first. It wasn't. It was exactly the same. Before anyone mentions 'technique', it's the same technique I use with every blade, and has worked for me for years - and I'm using the same razor with which I developed the technique. If if works for Astra, Rapira PL, Cloud, Dorco, Derby, etc, it _should_ work with Voskhod and Super-Max - but apparently it doesn't.

So, right now, Super-Max is on my list of blades to not bother buying any more. I'll try this next tuck and see if it performs any better. If not, I may have some blades to PIF out. (Same with the Voskhod. I have more, and I'll try at least one more, but I don't have high hopes)

I'll update after I've used at least one more to give my personal opinion. Again, this is a -personal- opinion, as there are lots of different faces, razors and people out there. It wouldn't be as regularly sold if some people didn't find it a fine shaving implement.

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm guessing those are the less then premium offering from Super Max. Super Platinum and Diamond Edge have gotten some good reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. Bookworm

Possibly - they're the most common ones you can find. Apparently there's a Super-Max in a blue package that's just "Stainless" rather than "Super Stainless", and they're seen as slightly lower quality than these. Maybe that's the 'new and improved' part. "It's no longer STAINLESS, it's SUPER STAINLESS!"

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have a few blades in a blue package marked Super Max Super Stainless Blue Plus. If I remember correctly, they were ok. Gonna have to re-visit them sometime soon.

5. Bookworm

Let me (us?) know how it goes.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

I'll do it tomorrow, didn't shave today, so I'll know better on how they work.

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Thanks for the review. I've seen those and wondered about them but never bought any.
    I get decent shaves from their Super Platinum and terrific shaves from their Super Platinum Tiger.
    I've just never tried the less expensive blades they offer so now I don't have to.

8. Bookworm

I'm not trying to tell people to stay away from them. I'm just saying what experience I've had with the blade. I'll give more of an opinion after opening a totally different tuck and trying a new blade, but that'll be a week or so. I'm going to go back to the Astra for a few shaves, as I want to switch razor handles around a bit. It's always better to keep some predictability if you're going to test anything out.

Again - they must be good for a lot of people, or they wouldn't sell them. (Dorco and Derby seem to get most of their sales from the hair trimming market, however. That's based on talking with the owner of a beauty product supply store.)

John Beeman likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

Today I used a Super Max Super Stainless Blue Plus blade today in my Fatboy on #6 with two days worth of growth. In two passes with some touch up I got a very smooth BBS shave........

Gillette Fatboy (G3) Razor
    Super Max Super Stainless Blue Plus Blade
    Frank Shaving Boar Brush
    Love My Skin Tobacco & Bay Leaf Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Tabac After Shave

[​IMG]

Norcalnewb likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Thanks for the update. It'll probably be a week before I have any new experiences. (Shaving tonight with Astra, and possibly a Krona)

jimjo1031 and BigMark83 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

Had my second shave with the Super Max and Fatboy yesterday. Seemed smoother than the first and BBS shave with two passes with some touch up.