Super Speeds

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If my history of super speeds vs cartridge razors is correct the final super speed model was made in the early 70s. That was about the time that Gillette released its first terrible cartridge razor. This implies to me that there was a period of time that Gillette was pushing both the wonderful super speeds and those terrible cartridge razors. Do I have my history correct? What was Gillette thinking by pushing two different types of razors at the same time? Was Gillette pushing two different types of razors at the same time? I am thinking that Gillette was trying to ease the gullible(like my pop :mad:) into the terrible cartridge razors. This is my opinion of what Gillette was thinking at the time, would anyone care to take on this issue? Can any forum members recall that time period, and enlighten me as to what Gillette's strategy was at the time. I know I am dating myself somewhat but I was approximately seven at the time and as such was more interested in grade school at the time and unfortunately was not paying attention.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

There have always been multiple choice in razors, many brands and styles. When a company such as Gillette decides to go in a new direction, the advertising money goes for the "new idea". Producion equipment if it can't be reworked is often sold overseas. There had to be countless SS's on the shelves all over America as well as other countries, took a while for that stock to dwindle down. Gillette owned factories in other countries as well, the change over did not happen everywhere at the same time. English production of this model stopped sometime later. I don't think they were "pushing" two type of razors, just waiting for things to level out. After all, these new razors were cheaper to produce and Gillette certainly was not shy about profit.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

what were they thinking hmmmm...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The late 70's and early 80's are kinda fuzzy with spotty memory lapses
    Raf

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Makes a lot of sense that one product was going end of life while the company was ramping up production of a different type of razor. A company as big as Gillette can not turn on a dime and takes a while for the company to depelete the stock of the wonderful design so that they can push the newer and worse quality design. I guess the 70s were sort of a transition decade for the company while it was waiting for the stock of the good razors to go away so that they could market the bad razors. When that they happened they could enslave there customers to a proprietary design.

:whacky084

I guess this is one of the things that makes me a wet shaver. On my job proprietary is a curse word and open design is a good thing. I guess this is why a lot of men I work with are wet shavers as well.

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I think they continue to do the same thing with cartridges today but maybe not as fast as they did in the 70s with the Super Speeds.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What was the Golden Era of the Super Speed? In my opinion it was the 60's flair tip Super Speed. I don't think Gillette had started to cheapen things in the super speed as yet, that all started with the 70s models.

7. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I have a 1979 SuperSpeed and I believe that Gillette continued to manufacture them into the 80s.

8. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

That it does Alfred, I have seen a few from the 80's but I've never seen one from the 90's. Perhaps these were going to places like South America, etc...
    Hopefully if anyone has seen one they'll let us know.

Regards,

10. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I have a 1992 Slim Twist that I bought new at an Osco drugstore. Shaved with it this morning as a matter of fact while testing my new Simpson brush.

Richard

11. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Slim Twist, I had forgotten about those. Not exactly a SS to a purist but a similar design and that would explain the DE listings through the 90's.
    By the way,
    Welcome to The Shave Den Richard and thanks for pitching in! We are glad to have you aboard!

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Pics, please.

13. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I knew it wasn't a SS but it is a 90's Gillette DE. The end cap fell off years ago. It's the only one of my razors that I haven't cleaned. The Slim Twist is about on a par with a Schick Krona or the average SuperSpeed, a bit on the mild side but still giving above average shaves. Made in England. It was the only DE the drug store had so I really didn't choose it. By choice, probably I would have bought a SuperSpeed but I definitely wouldn't have bought an adjustable. I tried to photograph the date code several times but got only reflected flash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Richard

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

First, I am no expert on digital photography but this is my opinion of what might make the date code photo work. Turn the razor parallel to the camera and put it on some nutral color back ground like brown. I think the light is reflecting off the white.

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    How about turning off the flash?

Changing the background's color won't make the razor any less reflective of a flash.

But I don't need to see the date code.

16. MaxP

MaxP Member

Hi all-

New member here. Can someone tell me where to find the date code on a SS? I have one that I think I want to help find a new owner. It would be helpful to know what vintage it is?

Your help will be appreciated.

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Early SS did not have date codes. If your razor has a date code it will be located under the silo door assembly. The date code will appear as a letter in one corner and a number in the other coner such as J 4 for example. Just turn the razor upside down and look under. Sometimes you may have to do a little cleaning with a toothbrush too be able to the date code.

Raf

18. MaxP

MaxP Member

Raf-

Thanks. I found a K and 2. A little Goggle work lead me to a site that says this translates to 1965, 2nd quarter. So, now that I know that I think I'm going to list it on eBay and try sometime else.

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If you have one that does not have a date code (I have two) you have a 40s vintage. In the days, I am told, that Gillette did not think that they were going to go with the Super Speed design so they did not date code the razors. When the design caught on they figured that they had it all wrong and started to mass produce them for years and date coded them.

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent