Superior 70, Your opinions please

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by bittermormon, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I picked up a bottle of this at Walgreens last week. It was buried in the back corner with no seal or anything but for $2.50 I guess I could chance it. It seems to be pure clove to me. if I smell this or a tin of cloves in our spice rack, it's literally identical. (Good luck explaining to the wife why you have aftershave in the kitchen and her not thinking you're bonkers though) The only thing I can compare it to is Stephan's Bay Rum but I have a hard time wearing it.

I get YMMV but I read online people saying they love it because there's no clove in it. I'm a little confused. Could it be that I got a mutant bottle, or perhaps the internet is mistaken??

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I use Superior 70, it has been a staple in my rotation since the beginning.

My sense smell is not always dead on it does have a slight clove smell. I find it mild and non stinging.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I now know which two bay rums to avoid in the future...
    :)

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never had the chance to try Superior 70. I have used and enjoyed Stephans and Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rums however. How would you compare those to Superior 70?...:)

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Please don't judge it too harshly. If you want to experience REAL clove reek (which you probably don't), Superior 70 is not it. Clubman, Master and others are far more clove-y. Superior has a true if mild bay scent, as PanChango rightly knows...somewhat similar to clove but far more agreeable. I only wish they sold it in my area but they won't. I've asked at several stores (Stephan is my personal fav, though, but that I can get around here).

PanChango likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you haven't tried Superior 70, you should. It is a nice mild scent, that dissipates fairly quickly.

The best part is that it is available in the corner store across the street from work for just over $2 a bottle.

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use Superior as an after shower splash. It's very mild and the scent doesn't hang out for more than an hour or two. I don't get any clove scent at all but, Ogallala is my favorite Bay Rum scent.

9. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Well I ended up mixing it 50/50 with WH and adding about 20 drops of Lime EO. I used it today and like it ok. I guess I got my $2 worth ;)

10. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I bought a little sample of it and thought it rather plain. I don't recall any clove in it. It seem to perform well enough, but if I'm going to use bay rum, I'd much rather have Ogallala Bay Rum AS. Then again, if I found it for $2.50, I'd probably pick up a bottle.

11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Bought 70 first when I was in Florida a few years back. Stocked up with a number of bottles. Nice, very reasonably priced product.