Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ob1page, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm looking for a new brush with a synthetic knot. I've tried badger and boar but prefer synthetics. My current brush is a RazoRock Tri-color, it works great I'm just looking for something new. I really like the looks of a resin handle. Any suggestions on knots, handles or finished brushes are appreciated. I'd like to keep this under $100.

Bama Samurai and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There are a lot of good and inexpensive synthetics out there, and I'm sure you will get many ideas from members here on the Den. Italian Barber and Maggard are two that sell them in all price ranges. Plus you can get knots from places in China of varying sizes and prices. I have gotten knots from Vigshaving, Frank Shaving and Ace Shaving at great prices. Plus they also have handles in many sizes, shapes and materials to make a unique brush of one you would prefer.

ob1page and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Have you looked on Etsy? "LoveYourShave" has some really nice looking brushes all under $100.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Carbide Mike and ob1page like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Great advice ! :) , if you don't have a Jayaruh brush, he has many options available for synthetic bristles, and made me a fantastic brush that outperforms my Dreadnought Vanguard . JR-CM1_18[1]-1.jpg

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

And I hope @Jayaruh forgives me, yes I did forget. Great brushes and prices from Jim.

6. ob1page

I was just looking at that shop. There are a lot of artisans out there, it's hard to tell who does good work though.

PickledNorthern and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

If you seen @jimjo1031 entries in the $ 2 dollar challenge, he makes some really nice brushes from flashlights ! Check em out !

crackstar and ob1page like this.
  8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Are you set on a certain size ? Or have a idea what size you like or want to try ?

crackstar and ob1page like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I was looking over his reviews and they seem all very happy. I know that may not mean much, but the more I look at his work, the more I'm impressed and I'm not in the market for a brush.

10. ob1page

I like the size of my current brush
    Weight: ~3.4 oz

Total Height: ~120 mm

Handle Height: ~63 mm

Knot Size: ~24 mm x 57 mm

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I only have one synthetic brush - its the Omega Hi-Brush shown below. It goes for $20. I wanted to try a synthetic and have found this one to be a very nice brush for not much money. Very soft on the face but firm enough to whip up a good lather. I use it often in the rotation. You can get it with a black handle as well.
    Dec 26, 2016.jpg

AGHisBBS, ob1page and Carbide Mike like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I suggest Whipped Dog. They have great brushes and there is a synthetic available. Maggard also has a line of inexpensive synthetics with really nice looking handles.

HERM

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think any of the Plisson type (Stirling, Maggard, Razorock) brushes are good, and you can't really go wrong considering the price. I prefer a brush with either an Ubersoft II or a Tuxedo knot. If you asked, I am sure Jayaruh would make an awesome one for you when his shoulder heals up a bit. IN MY EXPERIENCE the tuxedo is easily the softest overall I have ever used, and the Ubersoft has a good backbone but a more natural feeling splay because of the fan shape.

If you are willing to step up closer to that $100, I cannot recommend the Simpson synthetics highly enough. They are sort of in a different category as far as performance and feel; not necessarily better even, just different. I kind of think of them as the synthetic for people who prefer natural hair. I also think you are paying some extra for the name, but one cannot deny the quality, and they aren't any more than having a top artisan craft one for you. The Duke 3 would fall right into your size requirements. It is a really great brush.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Plisson or similar, Jared got it right. Synthetics will kill BAD.

15. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

My two recommendations have already been made, WhippedDog and @Jayaruh are the ones that make me drool.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

After seeing how Simpson brushes are made, I feel confident in their quality and (if necessary) their resale value stay secure.

17. PickledNorthern

If I was going to get ANYWHERE near $100 for a brush on Etsy, I would want a lot of feedback from forum guys. You would be talking about a really high end brush for a synthetic at that price. If a guy wants to go that high I would be thinking along the lines of:

Doug Korn
    Nathan Clark
    Rudy Vey
    Elite Razor
    Wolf Whiskers

18. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Were can I get one of those?

Carbide Mike, crackstar and ob1page like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The only synthetic I have is a Plissoft 26mm Monster. I love it.