Synthetic Hater Finds A Synthetic That Works!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jeraldgordon, Feb 13, 2018.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Maggards 24mm “Black and White” Synthetic:

I have always wanted a decent synthetic shaving brush! It would be great to have one for every day, but I especially wanted one for travel. I’ve tried this one, and that one, and then another... and they have all been, to my mind, somewhat inferior to just rubbing the soap between my hands and smearing it on my face...

Now, I know many of you LOVE your synths. I just never could understand how? Water retention and lather flow characteristics, face feel, etc., synthetics have always seemed grossly inferior to even entry level real hair brushes, in my mind....

Enter the Maggards “Black and White” brush, in 24mm. I’ve finally found my brush! It certainly doesn’t come close to a nice Silvertip or Finest, but it DOES work acceptably, and I find myself reaching for it from time to time, just because! Somehow this mix of the two fibers has provided an adequate solution to my complaints. So long as I add water slowly, this brush incorporates it into the lather nicely, and doesnt cause a soapy mess to run down all over my hand. And, it has actual lather capacity! The lather doesn’t just squish right out of it!

As I have been an outspoken critic of synthetics in the past, I thought it only fair to post this positive review. If, like me, you’ve just never been able to understand the synthetic craze - give this brush a try! No, it will never replace your nice 2 band... but it is a decent brush, with certain advantages. You just might find you like it!

ACF4E732-9F60-4C25-BCF6-83FCE09F39FD.jpeg

Enrico, TobyC, Primotenore and 6 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love my Maggards tuxedo...it is in a refurbed handle. Glad it works good for you!

TobyC, RyX, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I installed one in my Halloween brush and I like it. It has the right amount of backbone for a synthetic, while being soft to the feel.

JJ 7.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Pix?

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

But this is a synthetic thread! ;)

jeraldgordon and Primotenore like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Exactly, send it right away.

TobyC and jeraldgordon like this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Um,.. no! :p

That's a 26mm badger from Maggard that I did for my son, it's a very nice brush. :D The one on the left is a 27mm boar, super brush also! :happy088:

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Probably a nice change from all that goat hair. Glad it's working for you..:p

jeraldgordon likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

[​IMG]
    I love this handle style