tabac, mitchell vs proraso

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by haroldwashington, Nov 9, 2019.

1. someone told me that tabac and mitchell might be better than proraso, how true would their statement be? can someone share their opinion here............

RyX and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

what does better mean to you.all three build lathers differently but the results are similar..fine slick lathers .

RyX and johnnyflake like this.
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Try it and find out! All of this stuff and most of your questions, have answers that are all very Subjective!

I may love a particular shave cream and you may not, it's that simple.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Everybody has an opinion. They all work. Of the 3, I've never used Tabac and prefer Proraso cream to MWF.

b1hart, RyX and brit like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Prorazo tends to leave soap scum on everything...brush, razor, blades, etc. The other two don't. Other than that, they all perform similarly.

b1hart, Linuxguile, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

All three a good soaps. Better? All preference. I use all three happily.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, RyX and brit like this.
  7. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Never tried MWF, but i like both Tabac and Proraso. There are a lot of soaps and creams worth trying. Try different ones and enjoy the journey

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They are all good soaps to me. I replace them when I finish them.

9. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Out of the 3 it would be mwf first, then tabac, then prorasso...but I am currently using Signature Soaps in several scents and like many others on here find them very good and value for money, there is a signature soap thread somewhere, and the owner is also a member...the website is easy to work out if you add a .com, I dont know if links are allowed. Anyway well worth a look, and imo better than many top brands.

RyX and brit like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

This isn't B&B, so links are allowed. As a User of any particular product you are free to express your opinion, and you may share links to make it easier for others to view web pages. TSD is all about the discussion of Wet Shaving!
    The tricky part is separating opinions and advice from actual information. Your own personal chemistry may affect how a soap performs. Skin acid level, oils, beard texture vary. So do water for mineral content. Types of brush fiber and choice of lathering method contribute to your final outcome. That's why we often refer to this as a "shave journey" rather than a destination. Rare are those that find the right stuff on their first purchase. When you choose a product sample sizes may be available.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.
    "

J.R.R. Tolkien

brit and MrDaniel's like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Schick Hydro shaving cream from CVS? It is very good, too. I think that it is as good as any I have ever tried.

From your various posts, it looks like you are in the Los Angeles, California area and do not buy things online. If that is correct, here are two resources that you might find helpful:

Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving - The Double-Edge Way
    by Michael Ham
    ISBN-10: 151151583X
    ISBN-13: 978-1511515832
    Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/151151583X/?tag=thshde-20

This book is a comprehensive guide to traditional shaving, and describes the tools, technique and some recommended razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. If you have any questions after reading it, the best place to ask would be here at The Shave Den.

If you don't order online, you can go to a local bookstore and ask them to order it for you. They will need the ISBN-10 or ISBN-13 number to do so. The book costs $12 online, as the cost from the bookstore should be in that ballpark. It is an excellent reference, and well worth the money.

Not ordering online will severely restrict your product selection, and products sold in stores often cost more than those sold online. I recommend that you forget about the brick-and-mortar stores and order from Maggard Razors, Italian Barber, Connaught Shaving, or one of the other great online stores. It will make life a lot easier.

brit, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Is this the Signature Soap to which you are referring?

https://signaturesoaps.co.uk/product-category/shaving-soaps-and-creams/

And I am still here. ;)

brit likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Of the three...
    Best Soap Base: Tabac
    Best Scent: Proraso Green in tube
    Best all around soap: MWF.

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That is correct.

brit likes this.
  15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

For my world....it’s Proraso, MWF, then Tabac.

Proraso Red is a top 3 favorite aroma. Proraso Single Blade is a top 3 smooth slick easy quick full lather. I have versions of Red, Green, and White in tubs (croap). I have Blue and Green also in tubes (soft cream), and use the Red in a can for travel.

Proraso and MWF leave residue with my water (hard). But, we have the water heater set towards the higher marks (tap temps at 125 closest to the heater). Shaving bathroom is about 120, and Proraso residue washes off most of the time, takes extra hand soap to wash it off with MWF. Hadn’t used Tabac in a awhile, don’t remember.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

good book..thoroughly enjoyed it..

Shaver X likes this.