Talcum powder, cornstarch powder

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by PolieCat, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PolieCat

PolieCat New Member

When I've gone to some of the wetshaving vendors' websites, I've seen talcum powder offered (Clubman, in particular). How is talc part of a shaving routine? :confused: Why do some people use cornstarch powder?

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Put it on a brush and wipe your neck, face, and whatnot. Just like when you get a haircut.

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Barbers will use talc to dull the shine that skin can get after shaving. I use Clubman from time to time after a shave as it helps sooth irritation from a poor shave. I don't know about cornstarch.

4. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Talc adds a feeling of smoothness you can't get any other way. Some barbers use it to try to mask a poor shave.

For some years I've used a cornstarch-base baby powder with aloe that, in theory, is healthier. Talcum powder has been associated with cancer and especially with nose and lung disorders if breathed. It's very irritating if it gets in the eyes. However, someone gave me a large bottle of flesh-colored Clubman talc so I've been using that occasionally.

I keep the cornstarch in an antique barbers powder can and apply it with a very old wooden handle horsehair brush. I use a modern nylon bristle dusting brush with a push-button powder dispenser for the Clubman. Talc should be the very last thing applied after all aftershaves, etc.

Richard

5. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I prefer cornstarch over talcum due to negative talcum warnings.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    While no where near severe as the warnings of talc, wouldn't corn starch be a great food source for bacteria when mixed with perspiration?

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Starch isnt a very healthy diet.

8. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Yes.

My wife and I used cornstarch as a baby powder on the kids from the first day they were born. Although perspiration was unlikely it's quite possible their diapers and their bottoms powdered with cornstarch did get wet. I didn't notice many colonies of bacteria but no doubt some were there. You know what you get when common bacteria grow in wet cornstarch? Alcohol. Corn liquor. Almost every possible combination of cornstarch and live bacteria is edible.

On the other hand talcum powder is a mineral. Once it gets in the pores it's there until it gets abraded away. And when it gets in the lungs it's still there when they lower the coffin in the grave. Silicosis.

Some shaving soaps provide fertile ground for bacteria and bacteria that grow in oils aren't nearly as nice as those that grow in cornstarch. Leaving traces of an oil-based soap or balm on your skin can give you some really nasty bacterial colonies.

Normal skin has layers of bacteria that act as cleansing and protective membranes. A specific bacterium, Staphylococcus epidermidis, is found almost exclusively growing on human skin. It's a good thing fighting off the strain of Staph that's a major cause of acne. There are more good bacteria than there are bad bacteria.

Richard (Retired M.D.)

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Some great information there... thank you. I had always wondered about bacteria growth and corn starch.

10. Reformation Student

I've heard the warnings on talc as well. Can anyone point to credible research that confirms the warnings? I'd like to read it if possible.

11. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

The most documented risk of cancer is in women who shave the pubic area and apply talc. There's a known connection between talc and ovarian cancer (although perhaps not cause-and-effect). Talc on condoms more than doubles the risk of ovarian cancer. There are numerous published studies in these two areas.

No link between talc and lung cancer in humans has been established. However, especially in babies talc has caused coughing, vomiting, pneumonia and bronchial inflammation and there have been a few deaths reported from babies breathing talc during a diaper change. There's at least one report of cornstarch dust causing respiratory failure in a one-month old infant.

Generally I ignore most carcinogenic publicity. About anything under the sun can be shown to have some connection with cancer. The reason we used cornstarch on our kids is because our firstborn was allergic to talc, something she later outgrew. Cornstarch seemed to work better than baking soda that was another alternative.

I had a couple of sneezing fits when a barber was overzealous filling the air with dust after a haircut. A couple of times when I accidently got some talc in my eyes I had irritation, burning and redness that lasted several hours even after a good eyewash.

I think any risk from using talc is very minor. Generally I use cornstarch after most shaves when I know I'm not going out (and being retired that's most days) and I use Clubman talc for social occasions. It's mostly my imagination I'm sure but I've got a feeling cornstarch makes me look like my elderly grandmother who used lots of face powder. At least flesh-colored Clubman is invisible. To me talc feels smoother than cornstarch.

Richard

12. Reformation Student

Thanks for the information, Dr. It's much appreciated.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

And the sun too. :happy102

Like I always say to pleople when they tell me "that stuff will kill you" I always ask them.

What is the number one cause of death?

A: Life

14. ColbyPants

ColbyPants New Member

Darn you for beating me to it.:cool:

I would find it ironic, after all the cigars I smoke, and all the bourbon I have drank, that the Talc Powder I used is what did me in.

15. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

And I have just happened across a genuine vintage barber's talcum brush. What do you know. Any interest? :D

[​IMG]

16. Churchill

Churchill New Member

I've heard that talc can also be used like styptic.Just a very small dab on your finger and onto the nick.Haven't tried it yet,waiting for a nick.:D

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I cannot use any talc at all--it chokes me.