Talcum powder for AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by 1969Fatboy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Yeah I know it sounds weird. It has come up quite a few times about the benefits of powder as an AS. I kind of found out my mistake that it was a really nice addition to my shave regimen. I have Caswell & Massey Lavender and Sandalwood powder as well as Gold Bold. Basically what I started doing as patting a little bit on my face after the AS balm or splash. It really makes your face feel very smooth and silky:D The gold bond adds a bit of menthol kick as well which is nice especially after AI, skin bracer, osage rub, etc. I dont smell the gold bond but the lavender and sandalwood do linger for a bit.

Like I said.....it has come up before than this isnt anything new and amazing. Just try it though. Baby powder would work but of course you will smell like a baby's ass. Ask the SWMBO if they have any non baby powder and give it a shot. I am sure the cornstarch would work as well. I am really thinking about getting the Clubman powder for this reason:D

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

The Clubmans smells nice but doesn't have the menthol. I took an old pipe humidor, and mixed the Club and Gold Bond Medicated and use an old boar brush to apply it. I do it everyday and sometimes 2-3 times a day because it seems to help my face better than anything else out there...

(here's my little set-up: [​IMG]

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

That sounds like a damn good combo! I know my barber use to apply to my neck with that big ol brush and it smelled so good....even when i was a kid.

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I have the Clubman for home use and Gold Bond for the gym. I don't use it on the face however. It's for another area a little further south. Nuff said. Works like a charm. ;)

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Agreed. It has a ton of uses. :D Back to shaving, though, I don't even use a styptic pencil when I cut myself- a dab of GB works just as well without the burn.

6. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Not exactly the same as using talc as an AS, but…

I use Caswell & Massey’s Sandalwood talc as cologne. It’s a little more subdued than the actual cologne, which is the way I prefer it. A little on my chest and the back of my neck and I get that pleasant whiff of sandalwood throughout the day; and, it’s a lot cheaper than the real thing too!

7. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I think some corn starch might work as well. I've read somewhere that it's not a good thing if you accidentally inhale some talc into your lungs.

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Cornstarch would probably be good and I know that it doesnt hurt lungs. I heard they used to cut a popular drug that was usually inhaled with it. Talcum powder supposedly burned like hell. But of course this is what i heard;)

9. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

A little trick learned from BroJohn:

Unfold a hanky, sprinkle in some powder (I use Clubman), then refold hanky. After your shave regiment just pat the hanky on your face. It takes the shine out of your face and smells lovely. I reload the hanky every couple of weeks.

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

When I was a baby. My mom had a duck with a brush on top. The duck apparently had holes in its head and when you shook it, the powder would get in the brush and you could apply the powder through the brush. No I dont have it anymore but a masculine version would be pretty cool to have. Kind of live a very large shave brush but using the cosmetic grade hair with a handle that held the powder?

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I bet brushes that have a cavity for mineral make-up powder would work well. Like this:
    [​IMG]

12. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I did talk to my mom and the brush which was a duck with a screw top on it which resembled the current baby powder tops. Then the yellow cosmetic brush fit over that....you squeeze the duck and it shot powder up into the brush and then applied to little Shawn's butt:D It was produced my Avon and she might even still have it being that she held onto everything from my childhood:confused: No I am not going to use it either:rolleyes: She was just amazed that her 34 year old son remember that thing from that long ago? Weird things I remember:confused:

13. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Try Gold Bond Blue on a cold wet face :cool:

I remember I used to use this on my nether regions in HS. Tried it again for nostalgia. I don't know what I was thinking.

Yellow and Green suffice.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

This is interesting. Can't say I ever tried it. Now I think I am going to have to. :)

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I simply cannot use talc, because I think I may be allergic to it. I am afraid I might choke if I do. I had a haircut a few years ago, and the barber threw powder all over my face, and neck, and chest, and I started to cough so badly, and my throat seemed to close, and I thought I would pass out. After, I had trouble to breathe, and to speak for a few hours. :sick007

16. blyth spirit

blyth spirit New Member

Hi, I've just found this thread. How did the experimenting go? This has me fascinated - how sad is that?

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Actually there exists something called Shave Talc, its finer than regular talc and was made to work as a after shave. Its also a Pinaud Clubman product, it was available at Appleton Barber Supply for $2.50.

18. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I saw this thread yesterday afternoon when it was brought back to life. So of course I had to try after my nightly shave, seeing as I use goldbond daily. Holysmokes it works beautifully after the a.s. splash has dried, just a light dusting and your neck and face feel fantastic.

19. Griz

Griz Member

Old Spice used to make an after shave talc. Not a bad idea to try a little to see if I like it.

Will N.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmmm...... :think002