Talk some scents into me (or garanimals for shaving)

Discussion in 'Scents' started by John Beeman, Mar 18, 2014.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Having purchased a multitude of shaving samples in the past year I now find myself simultaneously running out of them while adding full size portions of things I like to my den. I'm toying with the idea of developing some sort of rotation schedule as opposed to whatever happens to strike my fancy on a particular day. To that end I've started thinking about how to mix and match products in a way that makes scents [sic].

I've got no problem whatsoever when it comes to complete sets such as my complete set of Old Spice items (deodorant, shave cream, shower gel, aftershave) or my complete set of Cavendish scented items as shown here.

cav.jpg

I don't have a tobacco scented pre shave oil but I have unscented that I can begin with and then everything else from shower to shave to deodorant is the same wonderful Cavendish scent.

I also have no problem mixing brands of the same or similar scent such as shown here with various Limes, Sandalwoods, and Lavenders.

lime.jpg swood.jpg lav.jpg

I realize (for example) that some Sandalwoods can smell quite a bit different than others but I'm still capable of putting together complementary products that work well together as long as they're all fairly close.

Here's where I need somebody to talk some scents into me. I've got some products I like that I don't know what to mix and match them with and I fear creating a scent train wreck. For example, I bought some Avocado shave cream after trying it and really liking it. Okay, so I don't have any Avocado aftershave and I'm not sure I want to smell like Avocados so what pre shave oil, shower soap, deodorant, aftershave, etc. goes well with Avocado shave cream? Here's another one; I really like Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar and I've got the bath soap and the aftershave but I've yet to purchase the shave cream. What shave cream/soap works well with this distinctive scent without clashing?

And yes, I do have unscented creams, soaps, pre shave oils, and even bath soap but what I'd like to be able to do is successfully mix and match products in pleasing combinations when I don't have the full set of same scent products or they just don't exist. Here's a few more; D R Harris, I've got their Windsor scent in the shave cream and the deodorant but that's it. What aftershave to use? Or this; musk deodorant, musk aftershave, and now (after adding some aftershave to unscented shower gel) musk shower gel but no shave soap/cream. What scents of shave soap/cream should I choose?

Tell me about the combinations you've put together that work well and tell me about some scent train wrecks to avoid. I like nothing better than just opening the cabinets in my shave den and drinking in the aromas and it really makes a great start to the day to awaken the senses with an olfactory scentsation [sic] that takes me from prep to finish and then for a little while into my day... but I need a little help putting together some winning combinations of products.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I like to layer Speick from top to bottom and also MWF bar soap and shaving soap. For Lavender and Sandalwood, AOS gets the nod.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Makes perfectly good scents.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't worry about matching scents, mainly because I can't afford it!

My shampoo has one scent.
    My shower soap has another.
    My PSO has another.
    My shave soap has another.
    My aftershave or cologne has another.
    My deodorant has another.

I come down stairs after getting dressed and my wife still tells me I smell good. That's all that matters :)

John Beeman likes this.
  5. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

With so many products used, it's difficult to determine the best.
    Maybe fragrance-free for everything, except the finishing splash/balm/edt?