Tasty Temptations

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

OK.
    I'd like to introduce this sticky as a place to post our favorite recipes.
    Figure it may be easier to find goodies here, in one place. :D

2. rick

KFC Cole Slaw

.....courtesy of Fergie.
    Thanks.

1/2 Cup mayo (I use regular, not lo-fat)
    1/3 Cup granulated sugar
    1/4 Cup milk
    1/4 Cup buttermilk
    2 ½ Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 ½ Tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    8 Cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
    1/4 Cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
    2 Tablespoons minced onion

Chop cabbage and carrots very finely (about the size of rice). I just run 'em through a food processor.
    Combine everything except cabbage, carrots and onions in a large bowl and beat til smooth
    Add the cabbage, carrots and onions and mix well
    Cover and refrigerate a couple of hours

Serves 10-12. (I usually cut the recipe in half as this makes a LOT of cole slaw! ...1/16 T of pepper?! )

You will be amazed at how faithful this is to the original - brought some to a fellow aficionado in the office one day and she accused me of buying it from the Colonel! One last thing...tried this with Miracle Whip once - it is not the same!!!

Enjoy!

3. rick

Easy Chicken Marinade

1 can Beer.......... Cheaper the better
    handful of your favorite seasoning.... I like Paul Prudhommes line of spices or Old Bay
    Chicken pieces.

Throw all ingredients into a big old Ziploc bag and let soak a cuppa hours in the fridge.
    Chicken turns out moist and tasty

4. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Fruit Dip

Equal parts marshmallow fluff and philly cream cheese with vanilla to taste.. or smell... depending on your age..

Gravy...

whole tomatoes.. squeeze them puppies, add a bunch of browned loose italian sausage, Italian seasonings, (garlic and onion if you like... browned... ) red wine.. not that cooking wine shit but merlot or cab... some au jus.. and did I say Italian seasonings? and wine?

Mushrooms and green peppers optional for those who aren't Italian.... ;)

5. rick

Thanks to Fergie for this one

Pan-Seared Tuna with Avocado, Soy, Ginger, and Lime

Leaves from 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 jalapenos, sliced
    4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    4 garlic cloves, grated
    4 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/8 teaspoon sugar
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 (6 ounce) blocks sushi-quality tuna

In a mixing bowl, combine the cilantro, jalapeno, ginger, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Stir the ingredients together until well incorporated.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the tuna pieces generously with salt and pepper. Lay the tuna in the hot oil and sear for 1 minute to form a slight crust; flip and sear the other side 1 minute. Pour half of the cilantro mixture into the pan to coat the fish. Transfer the seared tuna to plates and serve with the remaining cilantro sauce drizzled over the whole plate.

Courtesy of Tyler Florence (he just doesn't know it)

I like this over a bed of rice and maybe some asparagus sautéed with garlic (assuming you can find any garlic )

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Our daughter Elizabeth’s CREOLE PORK CHOPS

Ingredients and Directions:
    1/4 cup Butter
    8 pork chops
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1 large clove garlic minced
    2 cups crumbled corn bread
    1 egg beaten
    1 can (8 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    1 bay leaf
    Preheat oven to 350ºF. In large skillet melt 2 tablespoons Butter. Add 4 chops. Brown both sides over medium heat. Repeat with remaining chops. Remove from skillet and set aside.
    In large skillet combine remaining 2 tablespoons Butter, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Remove from heat.
    In medium mixing bowl combine coin bread. egg and half of the onion mixture. Set aside.
    To remaining mixture in skillet add tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and bay leaf. Simmer. Uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf.
    In 3-quart casserole place 4 pork chops. Spread corn bread mixture over chops. Arrange remaining chops on top. Pour sauce over. Cover. Bake at 350ºF for 45 to 55 minutes or until chops are tender.

7. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Pollo alla Romana: Roman style chicken

This is a hybrid recipe of Mario Batali's and Giada De Laurentiis

4 skinless chicken breast halves, with ribs
    2 skinless chicken thighs, with bones
    OR
    1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1 teaspoon
    1/4 cup olive oil

1 red bell pepper, sliced
    1 yellow bell pepper, sliced

3 ounces prosciutto, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes and juice
    1/2 cup white wine (Frascati or other dry white)
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    2 tablespoons capers
    1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Brown the chicken
    Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and prosciutto and cook until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

If serving immediately, add the capers and the parsley. Stir to combine and serve. If making ahead of time, transfer the chicken and sauce to a storage container, cool, and refrigerate. The next day, reheat the chicken to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the capers and the parsley and serve.

I like to serve this with either a fettuccine or rigatoni pasta

8. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Simple Chicken Tetrazini

9 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 cup dry white wine

2 cups whole milk, room temperature
    1 jar pre-made alfredo sauce

1 cup chicken broth
    12 ounces linguine
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 cup grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.

Brown the chicken, same as the above recipe. About 4 minutes per side. No worries if its not cooked through. Coarsely shred chicken into bite size pieces and put in a large bowl

Add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to the same pan. Add the mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become pale golden, about 12 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until it evaporates, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the bowl with the chicken.

If you want to make your own alfredo type sauce for this, here is the recipe:

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups whole milk, room temperature
    1 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
    1 cup chicken broth
    Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, cream, broth, nutmeg, remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat to high. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 10 minutes.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Cook linguine until al dente. Add the linguine, Alfredo sauce, and parsley to the chicken mixture. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.

Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pasta. Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes.

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You realize of course, my waistline grew another size just reading this stuff. :D

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Corn Chowder
    (Yields 2 1/2 quarts)

4 tablespoons butter or margarine 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
    6 tablespoons onion, chopped 2 tablespoons sugar
    3/4 cup celery, large dice 2 teaspoons salt
    2 1/2 cups hot water 1 pinch white pepper
    2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes 3 tablespoons flour
    1 quart Half & Half

Method

On medium heat, melt butter, then simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.

Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.

Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the Half & Half, and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of Half & Half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency.

Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. In order to correct the consistency or the soup you may add a little milk to make it thinner. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes.

Bon Appetite!

11. Will

Will Nevermind

I love being fat.:D

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I always liked the term "Winter insulation"..............wait a minute........I forgot.........I live in Florida. :ashamed001

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Did Florida lose December 21 - March 20 off the calendar when I wasn't looking? :D

14. rick

I like to carry around an extra 20 pounds
    in case I get stuck on a Desert Island with just my SS & Feather to keep me company .....:D

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Whew! Thanks....I'm safe, calander wise anyway.:D

16. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Now that I feel better.......

My wife's Coconut Shrimp
    "These crispy shrimp are rolled in a coconut beer batter before frying. For dipping sauce, I use orange marmalade, mustard and horseradish mixed to taste."
    INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 2/3 cup beer
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 2 cups flaked coconut
    • 24 shrimp
    • 3 cups oil for frying
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
    2. Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer.
    3. Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.

17. rick

Nice !

Steve,
    what cocktails do you like with those shrimps?
    You have a lot of different flavors goin on and
    I have to know what to drink when I make em this weekend ....:o

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You just gave me my next cooking project. And since no one else in my house eats shellfish, YUMMM!

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Anything with a citrus flavor base would be good. Sometimes we have Night Lights before the shrimp dinner.
    Ingredients : - 1 oz rum (white)
    - 1/2 oz orange curacao liqueur
    - 1 egg
    Shake in a shaker half full of ice and strain into glass.
    Sort of an appe-teaser! :D
    Sometimes we have Margaritas.

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

OK, another one from my wife.
    Crab Crusted Grouper
    "A crispy baked fish topped with a cheesy crab and pepper mixture. Easy to make, and nice to look at. This topping can also be used to stuff mushrooms. You may use any type of cheese that you like in this recipe - Italian cheeses work especially well."
    Original recipe yield: 4 Servings
    INGREDIENTS:
    • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese flavored bread crumbs
    • 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
    • 2 tablespoons chopped yellow bell pepper
    • 2 green onions, chopped
    • 1/4 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained and flaked
    • 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
    • 4 (6 ounce) fillets grouper
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. In a medium bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, red pepper, yellow pepper, green onions, jalapeno, butter, crabmeat, and mozzarella cheese. Arrange grouper fillets in a single layer in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread the crumb topping evenly over the fish.
    3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork. If you have thin fillets, you may broil for 10 minutes instead of baking.