technique for lower neckline?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by nsomnac, Feb 20, 2014.

1. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

No this isn't a question on how to shave around the Adam's apple.

However it is about that lower 1.5" section of neckline.

I'm getting some bumps / razor burn in this zone. My challenge is the whiskers down there don't really have a directional quadrant. They just grow in all sorts of directions.

Currently the best WTG / XTG seems to be an "X" pattern starting from the chin headed downwards toward the ear for WTG, and mirroring that going from ear to Adam's apple for XTG. ATG as an upward appears to be the least problematic. However no matter how delicate I am, than bottom most part of the neck still hangs onto about 8% of those hairs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My pre-shave prep is:

Shower, and then mid way face/neck washing with Nivea sensitive face wash (nice menthol).

After I've dried off and out of the shower, I bowl lather then re wet face with warm h20, then apply with a badger brush.

I do a 2 to 3 pass shave, then warm rinse, cold rinse.

Apply wet alum block, let face air dry, then apply Nivea post-shave balm then air dry again.

If anyone has any technique ideas to try, product suggestion, modification to the daily ritual, please let me know.

Thanks,

- JK

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I.M.O. the bumps and burn are occuring because your trying too hard to get a BBS and those last PIA hairs..Honestly since it seems "EVERYONE" has a spot or two that just doesn't want to go BBS. I'd leave it alone once you've hit DFS...A comfortable DFS with a few hairs left over, beats an uncomfortable razor bump/burn BBS everytime...:happy088:

Tdmsu, vwp528, jeraldgordon and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

4. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

That's my problem area too. It's goes in at least five different main directions with a few hairs really going all over the place. If I'm going to get razor burn then it's there. I have managed to get it pretty good on the last few shaves with out irritation or without much anyway. I mapped it out the best I can. Then I found a good razor/blade combo. I use a pre-shave oil while in the shower to help soften the whiskers. I prep pretty much the same as you after that. I then do a three pass shave WTG XTG ATG. My passes on my neck are very light and I just go in the directions I mapped out. So far this is working pretty good for me. I get a BBS or near one at least. Sometimes there may be a little stubble but not that you can notice. But like 178-bplatoon said a DFS with leftover hairs beats all that irritation any old day. I'm still new at this but I have really been able to master my technique. With some practice and leading your face I think you can get it. Good luck and happy shaving.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Tdmsu likes this.
  5. Star

Star Active Member

This sounds right. I think
    Agreed. It sounds like you're making too many passes over the same area and your skin doesn't care much for that. I'd just try focusing on one good pass and be happy with it. It won't be perfect at first but over time you will get BBS or awfully close. I can't do more than two passes on that area without regretting it. I just do one WTG pass and then go back for a very light touch-up XTG. Never three.

Badger-Face likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yup x2.:signs011:

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My lower neck is problematic as well. Whiskers grow away from the adams apple toward the ears. I've been trying a new "stretching" technique. Instead of lifting my chin and trying to pull the skin tight across the neck, I push my chin slightly down and push out with my adam's apple while sort of pulling my head/neck down into my shoulders. I almost feel like I am making myself shorter for a bit. I then make an ATG pass from my ear direction to my adam's apple. Seems like this helps get those last few whiskers that rub on my collar all day.

Bristle Me and Badger-Face like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG]
    :p:D

9. Badger-Face

LOL!!

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My lower 1.5" I leave for last in the pass so I can see a 1.5" lather remaining. This gives the lather the most time to soften it. Then I go N-S on the first pass, then an angle NE-SW on the 2nd pass, and stop at 2 passes in that region. With my more aggressive razors coupled with sharper blades, this is adequate. With lesser rigs there is more stubble there, which is tempting to hit them with more passes-but I try to resist doing that.

Bristle Me, Tdmsu and Badger-Face like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What razor do you use? When I shave with the R41. I tend to get a little razor burn on my lower neck. Using a Progress I get none. It could be blade/razor. Just a thought..

Badger-Face likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Other possibilities;
    1)If you are new to using a DE, you may be applying too much pressure.
    2)Just do one pass over the area that is sensitive.
    3)Add a pre-shave balm or oil to your prep routine.

Badger-Face likes this.
  13. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

HollyRollah,

LOL!

I'd melt in something like that. I'm Californian - not Canadian. No offense to Canadians.

HolyRollah likes this.
  14. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

RaZorBurn123, using an Edwin Jagger L89L.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Instead of a 3 pass shave on my neck, I do one pass from my jawline down towards my collar. Then on my second pass I do J-hooks, and lastly on my third pass I just buff any areas that I may miss. This keeps me from doing a full 3 passes on my neck and gets me BBS nearly every time. I do my cheek and mouth area as your would normally while doing this, WTG, XTG, & ATG. I use a Gillette 'New' English Long Comb as my daily shaver.
    Also, if you have never tried Proraso Pre Shave, it is wonderful stuff and would fit in your routine while you are making your bowl lather. Put it on a wet face directly after your shower and let it sit while you lather. Rinse w/ warm water prior to lathering.

Badger-Face likes this.
  16. Badger-Face

A lot of solid advice from a lot of very knowledgeable people. I really do think a pre-shave oil or balm would help. You can put the oil on toward the end of your shower so it has time to condition well. Take everybody's advice here but in the end find what works best for you. And then report back. What works for me doesn't work on others so it's just up to you in my opinion.

17. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

That is why I shoot for Darn Fine Shave and stop. If I go any further I end up with burn, bumps and ingrown hairs. BBS is not worth all of that.

18. shmuel

shmuel Member

If you aren't rinsing the alum off before your post shave app, this could cause a problem. I always cold water rinse the alum off after a couple minutes.

Chuck F likes this.
  19. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I tend to have leftover hairs around there too, I make more of an effort to stretch the skin upwards towards my jaw which allows the WTG/XTG pass to get a little closer but keep it from getting irritated. If that doesn't work for me, I leave it alone and move on with my day comfortably ;)

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Live in Paso, no doubt you'd melt. That place does get hot!
    :angry021: