Technique For Sensitive Neck??

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Vee, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Vee

Vee New Member

The hair on both sides of my bottom neck grows east/west and lays very flat against the skin. My skin is sensitive normally but the lower neck is extremely irritable/sensitive and shaving often produces ingrown hairs in the days to follow.

The trick for this area seems to be getting the hair that lies flat to stick up straight and OFF the neck. I have never been able to get it far enough off the neck to try ATG as ATG often produces a pulling effect, leaving the area bloody and red.

Prep work
    : I let hot water hit my neck in the shower for 3-5 minutes, it seems to soften the hair and help a lot.

Shaving cream: My skin reacts very badly to fragrance and is less bothered by natural stuff. What do you guys recommend to get the hair off my neck?

Shaving: My skin doesn't like too many passes over the same spot. ATG must be performed surgically and everything I do must be done very gently. I apply as little pressure as possible with the razor. I currently use a sensor excel and have to change the blade every 3 shaves. Anything you guys with sensitive skin prefer?

Post shave: I apply a combination of unscented oatmeal based lotion and neosporin for the following 3 days. Without the lotion on the first 2 days the hair on my neck grows back irritated and leaves ingrown hairs. The neosporin seems to minimize the ingrown hairs and I apply it for up to 5 days after. I cannot over emphasize how gentle I have to be whenever I touch my neck after shaving. Whether I'm applying lotion, showering, sleeping, or breathing, I have to be gentle. If clothing is rubbing against my neck I am sure to get ingrown hairs. Any lotions/post shave methods you guys can suggest?

Thank you so much for the wonderful site and community. Just reading the reviews has been illuminating and helpful. I have loathed shaving for the longest time, it has been uncomfortable and injured my confidence in social situations. All the help has been deeply appreciated.

2. spooky

spooky New Member

Howdy, I think you need some pre-shave oil. Rub a little on your beard, then apply the shaving cream. It kinda softens the beard getting you ready for the blades. Sort of a layer of protection. I got some at the Art of Shaving and I love it. Thats the only brand I know but if you check the pre-shave reviews it sounds like there's some good ones. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. I hope I could help.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would suggest that you try a brush. For a cheapo to start with it you may want to try the body shop synthetic, as you have sensitive skin and it would be softer than a boar brush. If you purchase a badger brush I would suggest a silver tip or some of the higher grades as they are softer. I have a sensitive neck as well and no longer have any problems. You may want to try a DE razor, there are plenty of resources on this website for you to pick one out. I believe there is currently a free razor giveaway for newbys in the BST section. While in the shower you may want to try rubbing some preshave oil onto your beard and letting it sit for the remainder of your shower. You should pick up some GFT or C&E creams, as they are absolutely wonderful. The GFT Coconut is extremely lightly fragrenced and amazing. As for the shaving it self, I do one pass from my ear to my adams apple on my neck holding the absolute end of the razor and using as light of a touch as possible. I than do a second pass from my jaw bone down my neck for the final touch up. Read around the forum, its full of information.

4. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

The Sensor Excel might be my favorite cartridge razor, but I would also suggest trying a DE razor. Personally I prefer an old Gillette Fat Boy and a quality blade (Crystals, Red Personnas, Derbys for starters). I have almost the same problem with my neck, but the problem is virtually eliminated by using a DE and good blades. Prep does wonders as well. Good quality shave cream or soap and a brush to build the lather (for an intro and to keep the cost down, I think I would also second the body shop brush - while you are at it, you might stop by Bath & Body Works and pick up some C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream with Eucalyptus Oil - same stuff as Proraso or check in the store here at The Shave Den). Personally I do not like preshave oil, with good prep providing more than enough potection from irritation. The shower and hot water are great prep, but you might also try an initial application of lather and then a hot towel treatment before the actual lather and shave. (I find conditioner softens my beard, but I have heard others disagree.)

A DE does not rely on the same principle as the multiblade cartidges and works so much better that I do not think I can possibly explain the difference that it makes. The first blade on a multiblade cartridge pulls the hair a little so that the next blade can then finish the job, effectively cutting the hair below the skin. A DE simply cuts the hair, no pulling, tugging, etc. For me, this equates to very little if any irritation.

As with everything else, YMMV, but this is what works for me and my copper-wire beard and sensitive skin.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Vee!

Don't miss the Newbie Give-Away!

Can't add much, the guys seem to have it all covered.

I will recommend Taylor Avocado shaving cream though.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Welcome. I too have the same problem. Just keep it simple. Use a good brush, Body works has a synthetic to avoid the oils in the badger hair. Use a good soap not cream as it could clog pores etc. See the Queen for a good assortment. When I go south to north on my neck it is always on the second pass. The trick I have found is to "load" the razor with a little soap from a different area of the face. This gives the razor more glide. I have less irritation by doing this. YMMV.

Welcome.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Pore clogging? From a shaving cream? :confused:

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Just saying that if he has real sensitive skin to avoid creams that may contain things that soaps do not. I am not a soapanification expert so may be I am just talking out me a**e.

Straighten me out.

I have been waiting to use that long word in a sentence for more than a week now.:D

9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I have to shave with the grain and across the grain before I can shave against the grain on the sides of my lower neck. Because of the difficult angle that my hair grows, I don't usually try to shave perfectly against the grain on my neck.

On each pass I stretch my skin away from the direction of the razor and it has reduced irritation for me

Different and better hardware is great advice but won't make up for poor technique so in my own experience I always like to check that part of my shave first

10. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I seem to be allergic to proraso so be wary of products you may be allergic to.
    For my neck I only do two light passes. In my adams apple region both passes are with the grain. I only do against the grain at the sides of my neck. Another important thing is plenty of hot water in this region. If you shower you should be fine. Using this technique I seem to have avoided blood, rash, bumps etc for some time.
    When you finish splash on plenty of cold water. Using lots of cold water I no longer use moisturiser although everyone is different.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Oils in badger brushes causing problems? loading razors with shave cream? cream clogging pores? Where is this thread going? People use synthetic badger brushes for starters because they either dont want to use an animal product, dont want to spend the money on badger, or just dont know if they really want to get into wet shaving. Loading a razor with cream shouldnt make any difference as long as you have a nice lather built up on your neck before you go for it. Never go back and fix something on your neck without lather. It may be okay on your cheek, but it will cause neck irritation. The difference between soap and creams is a matter of preference, neither with clog your pores more than the other. I could draw out the saponification mechanism for you if you'd like.