Tell me about the Rockwell 6S...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would like to solicit your opinions regarding the Rockwell 6S safety razor. My future son-in-law has expressed interest. He has an extremely thick beard; a "two-times a day" shaver. As a firefighter, he needs to be shaved (not necessarily clean-shaven, but no real growth). I have given him two razors: a Gillette Red-Tip and the Gillette LE (basically the Mühle R89).
    I know nothing about this particular razor except that it comes with multiple base-plates.
    Who has one and what are your thoughts?
    Thank you.

brit, cliffb599, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I have the 6s and 6c. 6s is one of my favorites for a mindless shave. I use the 5 Plate as my daily when in rotation. It NEVER disappoints with a mindless and EXTREMELY comfortable shave. It has an industrial look but does the job (Mine was Highly Polished by a forum member at DFS) The 6c is the same but chromed zamak head for less money if you want shiny. My 6c is on loan to a friend. Don't see how you could go wrong with either.

brit, cliffb599, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You know a Micro Matic would be perfect for a beard like that. Just throwing that out there.

brit, PanChango and Primotenore like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll start off by saying I don't currently own a Rockwell, but it's always been on my radar. That said I recently receive the Karve with the multiple base plates and enjoy it very much. This isn't to confuse the question at hand, but to lend credence to the idea of multiple plated razors. Not knowing your future son-in-law's experience with DE shaving, but if he enjoying DE shaving, I'd say he'll really like the Rockwell 6S.

:eatdrink013:

brit, Edison Carter and cliffb599 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have the 6C in gunmetal. I keep mine on 5 and it's a great shaver. I'd suggest getting one.

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Just purchased the 6S in matte black. I think he'll love it.

Lancre, jimjo1031, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  7. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I think it is a fine gift and a wise choice, Joseph.
    With you not knowing exactly what he likes as far as blade feel, etc., the various plates will offer him the chance to fine tune it to his preference.

I have the 6C and get great shaves from it.

Lancre, Primotenore and brit like this.
  8. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I have a 6C and have had nothing but issues with it in the form of Razor Burn. I have a light beard and have never experienced razor burn except with the 6C. After giving the issue some thought I concluded that with my Astra Platinum I was putting on too much pressure. I put in a Poly Silver and reduced the burn.
    My point is if I need a Poly for my light beard your SIL may need something very efficient to cut his beard.

brit likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    Razor burn can be had with a Feather AS-D2. It's all about technique and angle.

brit likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So to expand a bit on this. Why is a new fangled thingie with changeable plates better then a vintage adjustable?
    Beat me to it. As long as no defects.

Primotenore and brit like this.
  11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Lovely after polishing.
    [​IMG]

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Update:
    My son-in-law hates the Rockwell...:(

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see this the first time around. I would have mentioned that I sold mine...

Any details on what he hated about it?

For me it was mainly the base plates. Two-sided = too thick, giving it a clumsy feel. And I tend to prefer a smaller, solid handle over bigger hollow ones.

Primotenore likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Not sure. He prefers his Gillette Red Tip.

Frijolero likes this.