Tell me about your favorite aftershave and why you like it.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

I'm back to R and D on AS Splashes so asking y'all to talk to me about your favorite aftershave and why you like it! Talk about things... is it alcohol based? witch hazel based? and any other goodies in it you like. How about the packaging...glass or sturdy plastic...amount like 4 oz 8 oz etc. TIA guys!

Carbide Mike, BigMike, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I like a good alcohol based splash. I have had good ones that are very simple, just alcohol, water, menthol and fragrance. I have also had others that include somethings like witch hazel, glycerin, and a few other similar ingredients. I like them both, but I do feel the ones that include a few extras leave my skin feeling better.

Carbide Mike, BigMike, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

This sums up my thoughts, too. I like the Fine aftershaves, which simply include water, alcohol, menthol, and fragrance. But, for nice, silky skin feel I would reach for something else. However, I use balm after my shaves and can use any type of aftershave formulation due to that. I use the splashes sparingly and enjoy the ones that include some menthol cooling.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I prefer balms vs splashes, but my go-to splashes all tend to be alcohol-based, preferably with a dash of menthol.
    The extreme example of this is Fine's 'Snake bite'— just alcohol & menthol, no fragrance— which is the epitome of 'burn & chill' I find peculiarly refreshing, post-shave. Because it has no fragrance, I can add any cologne or balm afterwards.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I prefer splashes to balms, but use balms in the winter time when my skin tends to be exceedingly dry.

My favorites tend to be alcohol based, but don't have to be. I like splashes that have conditioning properties. Witch hazel, aloe, glycerine etc.... If a splash is only water, alcohol and fragrance... Pass.

I like scents that are mellow enough I can use enough to cover my face without people being able to smell me from across the room. Scents that can combine that quality with some staying power, are winners in my book.

From your soap scents that I have tried so far, if you came out with splashes that matched them and had skin care??? Sign me up!

Edited to add that I very much prefer glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Carbide Mike, Marc D, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Old Spice. Love the scent.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I tend to go with the alcohol based aftershaves and like a touch of menthol. I like the price of the larger bottles as they're more economical. However, the 4 ounce bottles are nice as I don't have to keep it around for decades! Plastic is the way to go. Broken glass in a bathroom is not good!

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don't know or dabble a whole with soaps, balms , aftershaves and colognes but I know that I use my aftershaves as colognes and would like long lasting scents. I only use colognes when I go out and way after I shaved.

Carbide Mike, Spyder and Salty Belle like this.
  9. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I try to buy a matching splash with most of the soaps I buy.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lucky Tiger tonic. Soothes the worst burn instantly, no sting, not greasy or noticeable, mildly fragranced, and a little goes a long way. It's the one shaving consumable I am never without. Everything else could go but not the Tiger.

11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Alcohol based with menthol. A few favorite formulas are Chiseled Face, Reef Point, and Stirling (w/menthol added).

Only glass.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Alcohol based, menthol hum a plus.
    Scented to last and match my soap selection.
    I like plastic bottles instead of glass, a sprayer is a plus as well.

13. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Good point...you don't see anyone offering AS with a sprayer.

14. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I like Myrsol. If you could get that formula with your scents (to last)...you would have a winner in my book.

Packaging is a factor and matching sets is a big deal right now. Make it happen...and good luck.

15. emkeane

emkeane Member

RazoRock American Barber After Shaving Splash: it's excellent.

16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

My top aftershaves are mostly alcohol based as well. Balms are better for cold, drying air in the winter.

Menthol and unscented options are nice to offer as well.

I like very strong scents for aftershaves as well

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I guess that if I could only choose one, it would be Floïd Blue.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Alcohol. Healing properties. Glass~~flask type

19. matteob

matteob Active Member

Well I actually use pure distilled witch hazel most of the time as it really settles the skin down. For scent I tend to use an eau de cologne vaporizer as alcohol on my face does not agree.

20. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Such great input everyone:) I so appreciate it!