Terrible Shaves at the Health Club-help.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dslazar9, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I shave every Wednesday at the health club. I enjoy the ritual of picking out my gear on Tuesday evenings and packing the gym bag. The problem is that I keep getting terrible shaves there.
    Sometimes it's irritation, sometimes it's weepers, sometimes it's a blood donation to the health club sink. At home my shaves have been smooth, sweet, and close. Anybody else have that experience?
    I have a great variety of razors, blades, creams, soaps, and sticks but do not think my choices are that different for my health club shaves. In fact sometimes the gear that bites me will give me great shaves at home the next day. I have gotten a few good shaves there, but typically not.

The only reason I can come up with is the noise at the club. Can that auditory feedback be that important?

One obvious solution is to just shave at home before I leave and I'm starting to consider that, but
    I'd rather try to figure this one out and continue my health club shave ritual.:(

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Would it be safe for me to presume you are shaving after a shower after a work-out?

Do you toss the blades you're using at the gym after they've nicked you, or keep them and get good shaves at home with them later?

Besides the noise, the water may be different at the gym.

3. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

You might be distracted from the noise. It takes a sort of relaxed concentration to shave ones face. I get distracted even if my wife comes back to talk to me, so she doesn't anymore. It's my time, so just leave me be.

One solution might be to use a mild razor. When I first began blade shaving I'd see blood even with a mild razor, but now it's like the blade isn't even in the thing. I can do almost anything with it now and not see blood.

FacialCarnage and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I think Nairb is right its the distractions of an environment you are not normally in so you are not relaxed its throwing you off your shaving game.

What might help also is to use the steam room at the gym to prep your beard. Corey Greenberg wrote how after using the steam room he would shave and his shaves were outstanding. Like the barber shop hot towel its softening skin and beard making them easier to shave. When I prep with a hot towel I notice my shaves are better and the auditory feedback is not really there.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. Dslazar9

All helpful thoughts. I never toss the blades at the gym. Yes, it's after a workout and shower. Sometimes the blade/razor will be fine when I shave at home. There was one time I discovered that the Sheraton and the Lord are a bad combo for me-that proved the be the case at home as well. The water at the health club does seem what I think is softer-the soap doesn't come off of my body as easily. The lather though, doesn't seem different than at home. I'm definitely going to try the steamer today. Usually I'm too hot after a work out to want to do that, but if it's for the sake of my shave, a man's gotta do..... I will also try a mellow razor-another great thought. I've got the Tech packed for today, I haven't used the Tech in a long time. I've got a new Voshkod as well.

I haven't asked a question on Shave school for over a year, it's great to know it still brings rapid and intelligent answers. Thanks everybody! I'll keep you posted
    on my progress.
    :thanks:

6. Dslazar9

Ok, I paid closer attention today, there's also a mirror/lighting issue. The mirror is farther away and it's darker than my den. My response to this, for some reason, was to take full face strokes instead of the shorter ones I typically do.

Today I hit the steam, used a British Gillette SS Flair (with a Voshkod blade) and got a better shave with no damage done. It's not as close as home but I think I can salvage this.

Thanks for the suggestions. I doubt I'll ever bring a straight razor to the health club. One, I'd rather not draw attention to myself and two, I'll hit a carotid artery.;)

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:

8. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Lighting and mirror were my initial thoughts but I see you've already noticed that. Grats on a better shave today!

9. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Depending on your workout, heavy exercise can effect small motor skills temporarily.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That, and getting popped in the butt with a rolled up towel will throw you off too.

Dridecker, swarden43 and Hanzo like this.
  11. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Can you imagine doing this to someone while they're shaving with a straight razor? This may have been the subject of the educational film "Locker Room Towel Fight: The Blinding of Larry Driscoll" starring Troy McClure.

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hi! I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from....."
    [​IMG]

Nick A likes this.
  13. Dslazar9

Wow, that's true and may be a contributing factor.

14. Dslazar9

This thought will give me bad dreams tonight.

15. nicolegriff

nicolegriff New Member

People go to fitness centers to get healthy, but too often they may also be getting swindled. According to the Better Business Bureau, around 9,400 complaints were filed last year against fitness professionals, fitness centers and health clubs. That is 15 percent higher than in the last year.

16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Good ideas above. I've definitely noticed the reduced fine motor control issue. Here's one more that I've noticed. Sweat on my face ruins my lather so I have to wait until I'm not sweating any more and wash my face well.