Tested and proven, Proraso pre-shave is a worthwhile addition...

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Allen_B, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

I have to admit, I have never been a consistent user of pre-shave cremes or balms. I have used a number of different soaps and cremes over the years but never really saw the value of pre-shave stuff.

I recently shifted from straights to safety razors and to traditional cremes for traveling and noted that they seemed to need a little "extra" for slickness. Never connected the dots but opted to try the Proraso red pre-shave just out of curiosity.

After a bit of trial and error using different cremes and soap combinations, I can honestly say that the Proraso pre-shave balm does make a huge difference for me. I tried various soaps and such without the pre-shave but none offered the same end results.

Not trying to sell the pre-shave stuff but for me, adding it to the routine has eliminated hints of razor burn and irritation regardless of the blade or lather choice.

As always, YMMV but offering unbiased personal observations. Have to send links to SWMBO to stock up!

Allen

2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I have used Pre-Shave Oils and Creams since the beginning and I can say; It is a very enjoyable part of my shaving ritual. Even if you don't account for the additional slickness and post shave feel. The Scent and the early (or late night) facial massage you get when applying it, is enjoyment enough to warrant its use.
    I too have started using Proraso Red and have enjoyed it so much, I just got a delivery of the White and Green versions as well.

Easy Going and Keithmax like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do the pre-shave products have the same scents as the soaps? I have and enjoy Red, Green, and White soaps, Green & Blue AS lotion.
    I did a month's worth of shaves with Shave Secret pre-shave oil. Can't say it made much difference for me. Not being a fan of the clove component in Bay Rum made it easy to quit.

Kokak likes this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Very similar.

RyX likes this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great post. I’ve use pso for the past year, and found it beneficial: not necessarily for beard prep or slickness, but for aiding in keeping the skin hydrated. I feel the oil “ locks” moisture in the skin.
    I’ve been thinking about trying the Proraso Pre Shave cream.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Proraso preshave cream is part of my daily ritual. Can't imagine a shave without it! I use white and green most frequently, but I do use the red preshave cream on occasion.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use Proraso pre or Nivea.

Spyder likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I use the Nivea, post shave.

9. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I also like the preshave. I assume they don’t make a big jar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk