Texas Newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Thatdonkey, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

About a week ago I decided I wanted to change up my "routine". I've been shaving now for 16 years and over half of that time was with Uncle Sam's "encouragement". That said it's always been with some cheap disposable razor or maybe a Mach 3 if I really felt like splurging. But I wanted to try something new and a straight razor shave is something I had thought about in the past but never very seriously.

So out to a local store I went in search of a SR, a wouldn't you know they don't just sell these things at your local corner store. Finally, after searching though I managed to find a cheap shavette, first use cost me 10 cuts and a pint of blood. Maybe I'm a sadist or perhaps just stubborn, I'm sure my wife would say the latter, but a few shaves later no cuts no nicks and I'm loving it.

Been yacking to the wife after every shave, telling her how this is the best shave I've ever had. I'm sure she's gotten tired of hearing about it which is why I decided to sign up here. Figure there's got to be more gents as enthusiastic about something as simple as a shave. Well, to wrap this up I think I've managed to get through to the wife, and with my B-day right around the corner, if she listened I'm hoping a nice Dovo will be arriving for me. I'll let yall know.

You fellas have a great New Year and be safe

2. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Welcome and I'm with you. I love SR shaving. I'm sure my wife is sick of hearing about it too. :p

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

You'll find plenty of gents enthusiastic about shaving here, and even a few ladies. ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome and if your wife realized the products that are for traditional shaving apply to both men and women, then she may be procuring your soap and brush ... many other men have reported that.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Tsalagi44 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den! I'm in the same boat, my wifey rolls her eyes at the mention of my shave. I'm sure she could tell you about every piece of software/hardware I own.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Well I'm hoping that she has learned through the years that the quickest way to shut me up is to indulge whatever it is that I am currently interested in. Now I did ask to practice on her legs on day 1, since I had no more beard left. Which in retrospect I should've applied a field dressing to my face and stemmed the flow of blood before asking her, but hey...... Hind sight is 20/20.

And thank y'all for the welcome!

7. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Welcome! Glad you found us.

8. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to The shave Den!

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Howdy, Tex. Welcome to the Den.

[​IMG]

BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

HA HA

Thanks Fellas

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

12. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Welcome....My family think I am crazy. ...and make fun!! That's ok....best shaves I have ever had. ...DE that is. Have not gotten a SR yet

GDCarrington and Thatdonkey like this.
  13. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! I'm not a SR user but there are many members here that are and will enjoy helping you.

GDCarrington and Thatdonkey like this.
  14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here.

I'm an hour north of Houston.

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Thatdonkey"..........I hope you enjoy it here........:)

We'll listen to your SR stories, hell we like hearing them, as well as telling our own..:happy088: While my face has never really found any love with SR's(I'm a DE/SE guy), I very much appreciate them(I've got 10 or 11 vintage straights, as well as some Durham Duplex Safety straight razors and shavettes)..I'm glad to see you never let a little thing like cuts and blood loss disuade you from continuing...We have many members here who use and love SR's..Happy Birthday and good luck on getting your Dovo...:D

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Donkey and welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

18. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

19. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Thanks all,

Yeah I'll keep ya posted and look forward to sharing as well as increasing my knowledge in the uses of SR's and even DE's. The way I hear people on hear talk about DE's might even be worth looking into. Be nice to start thinking of shaving as more of a hobby than a chore. I hear this can become like tattoo's once you buy one you're hooked and the next one ain't too far away...

God Bless and and a Happy New Year!

20. ewaynedodson

ewaynedodson Well-Known Member

Welcome fellow Texan!