Texas Q

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Michael, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ok. Since half the membership of TSD seem to be from Texas, it's time for you guys to offer some advice. I've tried several times to do brisket and, if what mine tastes like is what it's SUPPOSED to taste like, I just won't bother any more.

However, too many people say too many good things about Texas Q for me to give up that easily. All I know is, you have to cook it low and slow (I DO know how to do that). I assume it's typically done with mesquite, but I don't know that.

Looking for any and all suggestions...meat selection, wood choices, dry rub (or not), sauces, basting, side dishes...anything.

I do a mean Carolina-style pork butt - but Texas-style beef has eluded me. HELP!!

(When we're done with this one, perhaps we'll try some Tex-Mex recipes, hmmm? :drool)

Thanks to one and all!!

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Non BBQ..but nice for a quick fix so to speak.

My mom use to take brisket....and dump a bottle or 2 of BBQ sauce.....and put the whole thing in a Croc Pot. Of course..its not BBQ at ALL..but....it was good stuff.....especially to food process and put on Tortillas :)

3. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hmmm...another place to try on my next trip. I have been here, though. Sure, it may not help you with a recipe, but the brisket there was the stuff!

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

there is a reason why it is called Texas BBQ...only in Texas:D

Raf

6. msandoval858

Rudy's isn't bad. Pretty much same stuff as Smokey Mo's. What I consider the "fast food BBQ"

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Po-ke-jo's falls in this category also.

There's a chain that actually has excellent BBQ called Bill Miller's BBQ. Not Bad.
    But if you want to get some real BBQ you need to join us for the Central Texas Meet. :D

Raf

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks, guys...but I'm not asking where to go for good Q. If I ever make it to Texas, I'll for sure ask THAT question. What I'm looking for is info on how to prepare the stuff myself.

Somehow, it just seems unnatural to attempt authentic Texas barbecue from a Rachel Ray FoodNetwork recipe! :rofl

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

and what we are trying to say is that those are very guarded secrets. Folks use secret marinades, rubs and sauces to give it that special taste. It also depends on the meat itself. I doubt people are going to part with those secrets. You might get some basic recipes from some guys on the food network.

Raf

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well then...that's what PMs are for! :D

11. dmikel

dmikel New Member

Bar-B-Que is like sex and pizza: It's all good, some is just better than others.

12. msandoval858

Use the foodnetwork link above as your guide. With brisket, there's no exact recipes. Most guys here in Texas that experienced with cooking good meat just do everything by feel.

Use a dry rub, sear the outside over the fire to carmelize and lock in the rub, then slow smoke it until done. I highly recommend you order some of the Salt Lick's bottled sauce... or maybe you can can trade Raf or myself something good enough to have us run the local HEB (grocery store) and grab you a couple of bottles :D

That stuff rocks!

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, you got one out of three right. As for pizza and barbecue, I definitely beg to differ! :D

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks, Mike. I suspect I'll have a problem finding a good cut of meat in the first place. 8-10 lbs is probably not gonna happen. Connecticut isn't exactly brisket central!

Wonder if my pork dry rub would be suitable for beef...salt, sugar, brown sugar, ground cumin, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika?

I'll check out Salt Lick.

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

That rub sounds great for any meat.
    Does the "quality" of the brisket matter or does a cheaper cut work just as well?
    .......................................................never tried this but I am very interested

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Let the bribes.....errr trading begin:D

Raf

18. JimH

JimH New Member

The Cook's Illustrated recipe probably makes a very good brisket. They tend to have good recipes.

It will not make it Texas Style. The advice "It is best to avoid mesquite, which turns bitter" will get you nowhere in my part of TX. Around here mesquite smoked is great BBQ. There is a joint four miles down the road that turns out mesquite smoked that is so good, I gave up trying to match it. Just buy take out. Mesquite smoked is probably an acquired taste. Pecan & oak would suit more people.

The regional variations within TX are quite great. Rubs vary, wood for smoke varies, & sauce varies. It can vary within a town such as Lockhart which has more than one place I like. Lockhart is worth a side trip if you are in the area just to sample the variations.

It's time for take out,
    Jim

19. GeNn

GeNn Member

To make good Brisket, it needs to be cooked with indirect
    heat and not with fire under it as when grilling steaks.

There are three things that are important.

1) smoking time
    2) temperature
    3) rub or sauce

You can buy the cheapest brisket and it will come out very
    tender and tasty provided you keep a constant temperature
    of about 225 degrees for about 1.5 hours per pound of brisket.

There are different designs for smokers. It takes practice
    to keep a constant temperature burning for up to 18 - 20 hours.
    Smoking brisket less than that, and you will be eating
    brisket that is as tough as your TM strop.

I recommend the weber bullet:
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

It is very easy to use and you can use charcoal with a
    few chunks of hard wood like mesquite or oak to give it
    a smoked flavor. In that website you'll find recipes for
    rubs and sauces you can use. They are very similar to your
    recipe.

You can also do brisket in the oven. First, "Smoke" the brisket
    in a regular grill outside using wet wood chips and indirect
    heat for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Then you transfer the
    brisket to a deep pan. Cover it with foil and put in the
    oven for about 1 hour per pound at 250 degrees. There are
    sauces you can use for flavoring. Allegro Gold Buckle Brisket
    Sauce is a good one, but there are others too.
    Brisket comes out ok using the oven, but not
    as good as smoking it outside for about 18 hours depending on
    the weight of the brisket.

With the weber bullet above you can also smoke a whole turkey
    and it comes out delicious. A 12 pound turkey is fully cooked
    in about 3 or 4 hours.

I used to enjoy smoking my own brisket. It was fun and usually
    had to invite family to eat that much brisket. After a few
    times it gets old with all the work that goes into tending the
    fire at a constant temperature. Then you end up smelling like
    the brisket too.

Now, it is very convenient to go to my local BBQ joint and