TGN Knot Selection

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by OckhamsRazor, May 20, 2011.

1. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Gents,

I'd like to try out one one of the knots from TGN. For those of you who have experience with them, which hair grade would you say most resembles Simpson's best badger? I know that TGN doesn't carry anything quite like Simpson's best, but I'm just looking for something in that general ballpark (i.e. good backbone and soft tips, but not extreme in either of these attributes).

Thanks,
    Mike

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I really like the Finest grade. It has pretty firm backbone and nice soft tips.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The only Simpson brush with I best that I have is the Wee Scot and it is hard for me to compare a 14mm knot to my knots from TGN which are all 22mm to 24mm. Out of the ones I have tried, the 24mm Extra Stuffed Finest is my favorite. It has a decent density, nice backbone and moderately soft tips.

Besides the Finests knots, the only other grade of hair that I have tried is the 22mm Super Silvertip. It has less backbone and is softer then the finest. I had to set it low (44mm) so it wouldn't be overly floppy. It is a nice knot, but I think I prefer the finest.

I know I didn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps anyway.

Dale

4. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Based on your input and everything else I've read about TGN, it seems that the finest knots are the most beloved of TGN's offerings.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the TGN finest hair compares to the Simpson 2-band. I have a PJ2 in 2-band, which I love, but I'm looking for something with a little less backbone.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I also like the 24mm Extra Stuffed Finest. I am quite fond of the Synthetic too.

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

The Grade A Silvertip is you best bet in coming close to Simpsons best ;)

7. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Hmmm...I may just have to get one of each :D

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That is the correct answer!

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

Enabler

10. Sodapopjones

[​IMG]

My personal favorite is the huge 26mm Super, I've gone through 3 Grade A's, 1 Finest, 3 Super Fans and now this guy, plus I have tested just about every kind of knot Tony carries.

With the exception of the Pure, you can't really go wrong. ;)

11. Moe

Moe Active Member

If you're not sure about larger knots, then my vote is for the 20mm or 22mm finest in fan or bulb (I prefer the fan). If you know you prefer larger knots, I say the 24mm or 26 mm finest.

The TGN FInest (IMO) seems the perfect balance between soft tips and backbone. Works for both bowl and face lathering.

12. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

That's a sweet looking brush! 26mm is actually the size I was thinking of. I don't have anything that big and I want to try something new.

How's the backbone on that thing?

Thanks for your input.

13. Sodapopjones

For the size and type of hair its got decent backbone, its set at 50mm and is actually a well balanced brush.

Its not a Simpson Duke or Chubby, but its also not floppy like EJ, Vulfix, or Plisson.

The amazing thing about this brush is it has no flow through issues at all, granted it does need more product due to size, but once you figure out the ratio its an exceptional performer.

The only downside is shave sticks, the size of the brush isn't exactly the most efficient when it comes to lathering with sticks.

14. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Sounds good. I have just one more question. I noticed that the 26mm is not listed as having extra hair. If you've tried the 24mm super, would you say that it's denser than the 26mm?

Thanks!

15. Sodapopjones

Looking at the plugs, they're probably packed the same in density, you can always call and ask Vanessa or Tony if you want.

16. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

I sent them an email and Vanessa got back to me assuring me that the 26mm super does have extra hair and is more dense than the 24mm.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input :happy088

17. Sodapopjones

I shaved with mine today, well technically yesterday for all you day shifters, its like a pillow, in a good way. Product efficiency is improving greatly, I was brave today and used the same amount of TOBS as I would have used with the my other brushes.

Earlier I didn't note the splay, the center of the brush when pressed on your face will splay down to match the height of the outer layers of hair. Having used my 21mm EJ Silvertip most of the week I forgot how big the thing really was. :happy102

[​IMG]

18. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Man, that is huge!

I'm pretty much settled on a 26mm knot, but I'm still trying to decide on a hair grade. Besides super and finest, I'm also considering a standard silvertip. I've heard that they're scritchy, but I actually wouldn't mind a bit of scritch and I definitely wouldn't mind saving a bit a of money. Decisions, decisions...

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have a brush made with a standard silvertip and I'll say the scritch is VERY minimal. Having it set a little deeper than standard gives it just enough backbone that it works perfectly for me. Don't know what that means it will be like for you, but it's definitely not a bad knot.

20. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Thanks for the info.

I ordered a 26mm standard silvertip this afternoon. I'm really looking forward to checking it out!