thanks for the add!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by schwarzy65, Oct 19, 2018.

1. schwarzy65

schwarzy65 New Member

53 years old. shaving with gilletes since eighties. after the last 10 years with gillette fusion (now using the proglide and proshield flexball with great results) i am becoming interested in traditional shaving (i am already a wet shaver since i have never used canned foams or gel but instead brushes and artisan soap with my fusions -and previously mach3 and sensors). my wife has given a gift (a qshave 700 - futur clone) and in the meantime - it takes a month from china - i'm getting an EJ 89de or another "not adjustable from amazon. I would like to know, since i have an incredibly thick and coarse beard (with whatever razor i use i have a sand paper at 6 pm even with a perfect BBS after shave) , if you think EJ89 is a waste of money or not. thanks in advance!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @schwarzy65! I have a Ming Shi 2000s (Merkur Futur clone) and find it treats me well on around 4-1/2 or 5. From those that have the original these dirt cheap copies are a faithful reproduction. That EJ 89 may be like my Muhle R89 Grande - same cap & base, different handle. Fairly mild DE meaning when you get the angle of attack right it shaves well. I'd suspect you'd find it less than desirable once that Chinese DE arrives. So much of this is YOMV (your opinion may vary) that you may like the model 89. There are enough of them around in the used razor market you might save a few bucks checking The Marketplace.

john zeiger and schwarzy65 like this.
  3. schwarzy65

schwarzy65 New Member

where is the marketplace? i'm interested

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Click on the words in my previous post - it's a link.

It's buried inside other forum titles ;
    Home > Forums > The Mall > The Marketplace ; Classifieds, Freebies, & Want to buy.

Be sure you read The Rules if you decide to place an ad. As a new member you're good to go right now in the WTB section.

5. schwarzy65

schwarzy65 New Member

i was interested in an used ej or merkur 34c but perhaps it's not convenient since buying from italy the shipping cost would me more than the advantage of buying an used item. maybe i will have to get them from amazon

RyX likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, young man. Welcome to The Den. Glad to have you.

zwelcome1a.jpg

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

12. Orville

Orville Active Member

Hi and welcome ! :)

13. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

greetings

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Canada. Give the vintage razors a try, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how well they had it figured out back then.

dmshaver likes this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome aboard.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

17. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD schwarzy65. I hope you enjoy as much as I do. There are a lot of very experienced and friendly wet shavers here who are very happy to help if you ask for it. I know because they have helped me with several issues.

EJ 89 was my first DE razor and I thought it was great but I have just a medium beard (I've since moved on to more premium razors). You also my want to consider the Rockwell 6C. It is a great shaver and has 6 baseplate settings so that you can select what is right for you. Its not nearly my most expensive razor but always gives me a great shave.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    dmshaver likes this.
  18. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, enjoy!

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The bright side is daily shaving.
    I'd learn the mild razor, once there, you'll have arrived at good technique.

dmshaver and john zeiger like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!