Thanksgiving Plans

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Queen of Blades, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US. For our American members, what's your plans for tomorrow? Who's doing the cooking? Whatcha eating? And whatcha thankful for?

2. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

I'll be with my family. My mom is doing most of the cooking...traditional thanksgiving menu.

3. Queen of Blades

Over the years I've found that means different things to different families.

What's it mean to your family?

4. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberries, pumpkin pie...and sometimes an additional vegetable side dish.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Got some family coming in. I'm frying two turkey breasts, and my wife is cooking dressing, couple of sides, and pumpkin pie. Nov. 22nd is our 32nd anniversary, so I'm thankful for that, and the chance to be with family. Also thankful to have a job these days.

6. Queen of Blades

Happy Anniversary!

7. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Sister is hosting, but we're making the second turkey, my wife's homemade challah stuffing and as I type am waiting for my pumpkin & pecan pies to come out of the oven.

Aside from being thankful for my family and children, I am also thankful for my TSD family! You are all the best and I love being a member here!

KLF, Suisse and Queen of Blades like this.
  8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

went to my sisters, had the usual turky, dressing, sweetpatatos, etc.

:eatdrink023:

OH and pumpkin pie

9. Queen of Blades

Going to family's house in a bit. Not sure what all we'll be having, but I'm bringing rolls, a caramel pie, and mushroom & broccoli risotto.

10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks!

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I went to my grandma's house. I gorged on Turkey, mashed potatoes, salad, bread, and many other things. I visited with my extended family, drank a few beers, and just relaxed. Afterwards, my uncle and I went out and shot my Colt .45, his .22 pistol, and my grandpa's .30-.06. It was a fun time and I have to buy more ammo now.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yesterday, my husband had to work. So I relaxed & made a bunch of candles. Saturday, when he is off, we will make a roast chicken, cranberry sauce and my favorite stuffing (with sausage & chopped apples).

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Had a great time yesterday! Used my own creole rub on the turkey breasts, injected with creole butter, and my son helped me fry the birds. My daughter was home from school, and my wife's brother and his family came over. Homemade cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, yeast rolls, pumpkin and pecan pie. Good food, lots of laughs!

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What is creole butter?

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Creole Butter is an injectable marinade made by Cajun Injector. I get it at Academy Sports, but you can order online, just google Cajun Injector. I'm actually probably going to make my own next time, really shouldn't be too hard. Melt some butter (I like to use Smart Balance in place of butter in most things), add a little water, salt, red pepper, black pepper, and garlic powder, and shake well before injecting into the bird. The Creole rub I use on everything, including as a seasoning on hamburgers, is 4 parts salt, 1 part black pepper, 1 part garlic powder, and 1 part red pepper. Sometimes I throw in a little paprika, especially when I'm smoking a Boston but pork roast. Then I will add as much as 2 or 3 parts paprika to the mix above.

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks. I just ordered some.

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I think you will like it. It's not hot, but gives a definite creole flavor to the Turkey. I've never used injectable marinade for baking a turkey, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I suspect frying it seals in the juices and marinade.

Let me know how it turns out!

18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Beach
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353785966.311338.jpg

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got my order yesterday & used the creole butter to marinate some chicken thighs (which we broiled.) Very tasty! Thanks again.

20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it! Did you inject it, or marinate as you normally would?