That Great Barbershop Scent?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by desmoface, Sep 4, 2007.

1. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Hey gang, you know that scent that you get when you leave the barbershop? It's that fresh clean scent. I searched for it and came up with Pinaud Clubman Aftershave. It's close, but not quite it. I also tried Pinaud Vegetal Lilac and it was horrible.

I know that not all barbershop's use the same products, but what would be some of the more popular aftershave's that you would typically find in a local barbershop? Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

1. Skin Bracer Original
    2. Lustray Menthol (discontinued)
    3. Bay Rum
    4. Aqua Velva
    5. Brut
    6. Old Spice
    In addition to clubman, these are all things I associate (listed in order of magnitude) with that fresh & clean barbershop-type scent

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ohhh, there have been so many changes over the years--I remember the barbershop in Israel I went to as a young kid used Old Spice, or Brut. When I first moved to Montreal, the barbershop I went to then was using Noxzema, or Old Spice, or some other nice stuff that I think is still around. It has a lemony-lime scent.

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Correct me if I am wrong....but to my nose ....I can't tell the difference between Clubman and Brut

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Oh - and to me......Italian Floid is what an Italian Barbershop smells like :D

As to the Brut/Clubman.......they are similar, but the Brut is "sportier", fresher smelling.

6. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Hmm...don't think it's any of these. I have some Pinaud Bay Rum, it smells good, but not what I was looking for. I'm familiar with the rest.

I did hear of a Pinaud Musk that someone said is a mainstay in most barbershops.

I'm on a mission, I'll see what my barber says, there are a couple of old time barbers in this shop. I'll report back my findings.

Steve

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Pinaud Musk smells like pinaud clubman, with added Musk

Take a look around here, and see if anything "looks" familiar:

Appleton Barber Supply

8. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Wow, I wish I had access to a place that sold all that. I would surely find it there. I'll see what my barber has to say and report back.

Steve

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Well, they most certainly deliver, I should know. This is what happened the last time I spent some time at their website:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Will

Will Nevermind

Welcome to Joe's Barbershop.

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

For me, in addition to Clubman, Master's has that same barbershop smell. JM Fraser shaving cream also has that clean Barbershop smell.

Raf

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Clubman IS the barbershop scent. :D

13. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Hoyt's 1868 is a cologne but it's my favorite ol'Timey BarberShop scent. Course this was along, long time ago. I still use it and the only place I know to get it is QED.

Other Barber Shop's I recall with fondness (and still use today) are: Florida Water, Lucky Tiger & Pinaud Clubman. These are available from numerous online sources.

Good luck on your quest as those old scents were Great & hunting them down is a worthy thing.

Let us know if you find any more.

14. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Masters Lord & Master is my personal fav.

I'm also partial to Clubman Musk, awesome followup to Frasier shaving cream when I want that barbershop shave. Clubman Musk has some awesome staying power so I usually skip cologne on those mornings.

Both rock! Get ya some :D

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

as far as a barbershop scent is concerned, I find that Pinaud Bay Rum is a super one.

16. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Hey gang, thanks for all the replies and advice. I'll let you know what I find out when I visit my barber this Friday...TraderJoe, looks like you bought one of everything..

Steve

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Not quite (yet) :cool:

I do like me some aftershave splash ::

18. Will

Will Nevermind

TJ walks in to a barber supply and just says "I'll take that, all of it". :rofl

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:sihns011

20. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Was at my local barber shop last week-end whenI got enough to look over and see what they had on the counter it was Clubman. Three other shops also had Clubman on the counter somewhere.