Thater

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Williams Warrior, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I just ordered a Thater 4125/2 from Bullgoose about an hour ago. I always said I wouldn't pay that much for anything shave related, but I've never had a silvertip or anything above a best badger. Getting butterflies already, wondering if it was the right thing to do. Anyhow, I'm stepping into the ring of luxury to see what it's like.

2. Hex

Hex Member

I predict that you're gonna love it. 28mm, at 55mm loft, what's not to love.
    I liked the "Stout" description and was dearly in love with the 4125/4, Extra Stout. That will likely be my next brush.

I just received a 49125/3 that I am putting through the cleaning lathers. What can I say, I love the big knots. I really liked the handle coupled with the 28mm knot.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Very nice, I'm sure once you have the brush all your worries will be laid to rest, quite a few brush geeks love these brushes.

I personally was thinking of picking up a Stout 2 or Plexi 3, but I'm also waiting on a new batch of CH2's, decisions, decisions...

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

I wasn't even interested in luxury brushes until I got the Plisson from Phil at Bullgoose. Now I get it. I won't be getting another one anytime soon, but I can see it being a once a year kinda splurge. The Thaters' do look nice, that's for sure but so do the Chubbies.

Tradtional Wet Shaving: were a man can tell another man he likes his Chubby and still feel macho.

5. Williams Warrior

I went back and forth on the Thater, Chubby 2, or Saville Row 3824. I like the looks of the black octagonal handle Thater uses.

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Out of what you listed, the Stout 2 would have gotten my vote as well, however being a brush geek I want a CH2.

For the money though you did just fine, like I said, don't regret it at all.

7. Williams Warrior

Well, it arrived in todays mail. Outstanding considering Bullgoose is in southern Califronia, and I'm in Tampa. It sure is a fat little brush, definately won't be floppy, from the feel of it dry. Now I have to go give it a cleaning lather to prepare for tomorrow.

8. NoahG

NoahG Member

Can't wait to hear how it works!

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Looking forward to your thoughts on the brush.

10. Williams Warrior

I cleaned it with Tabac and hand lathering. Tabac and I don't see eye to eye on anything it seems, and the lather turned out more like a heavy cream out of a pump bottle. That being done, there was no badger funk in the air, so I did a face lather using good old wool fat. It will take a few uses to get the brush broken in and learn what it likes best as far as water and initial loading go, but it lathered the fat on the face just fine and didn't seem to have any issues with it giving up the lather either. I think it will do just fine.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very Nice.

Any issues with it dropping hairs?

12. Williams Warrior

No hair lost yet.