The 1904 -- Merkur's Most Underrated DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 10, 2007.

1. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Yes, the Merkur 1904 occupies the #1 spot in my razor rotation! I pick it up more mornings than any other DE I have. Number 2 is the Merkur HD, and the Merkur Classic comes in third. I have several vintage DE's that I will pick up on rare occasion, but the Merkur 1904 just seems to "fit like a glove." It just works for me.

[​IMG]

I love its classic looks and styling. I like the feel of its 6-sided Faceted handle...it has a feel unlike any other razor I have in my arsenal. Kind of an 'indexed' feel that places it in the 'right' position every time. And the texture is very friendly for wet, slick hands. For lack of a better description...'it just fits my hand'.

Now, I also like my HD, but the slightly lighter weight of the 1904 allows me to achieve a 'lighter stroke', thus less irritation. It it my favorite tool for 'beard reduction'. Yes, it is true that the 1904, Classic and HD all have the same head geometry, but out of the three, the 1904 has become my favorite. Matter of fact, the 1904 and the Classic will interchange heads and handles. I can get the same shave with the Classic, but the 1904 is 'easier to hold onto' because of its shape and textured handle.

According to several sources the Merkur is temporarily out of production due to the making of a new tool for casting the handle [old one had excessive wear]. There is apparently some existing stock out there, since several online vendors are still showing it available. Charles at QED advises to check with him before ordering to verify stock. Lee's Razors, Classic Shaving and Em's Place all show them on their websites. Prices range from $22 to $26.99. The 1904 is available in both Regular and Open comb.

I currently only own the Regular in the 1904. I have a Classic in an open comb and don't really care for the feel of the open comb against my face. The Regular just seems to give me a smoother shave.

If you don't own a 1904, you ought to give it a try. $22 for a brand new razor that will last a lifetime is a great value. It is definitely a razor I would recommend for newbies and oldies. If I could only have one DE, it would obviously be the Merkur 1904; along with a C&E Best Badger Brush, it is a great pair for both classic looks and top class performance.

What blade do I use in the 1904? Top choice is the Swedish Gillette with the Israeli Personna and the Derby Extra tying for second place. The Feather is a great blade, but just doesn't work for me...a little too much tremor in my hands.

No, I don't work for Merkur and I don't sell Merkur razors. I just wanted to share one of the best kept secrets of DE shaving: The Merkur 1904! ;)

2. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

I've been meaning to get a 1904. I love the look! Your review will no doubt accelerate my purchase of one.

That well-shaved bum on the street with the cart full of shaving gear? That's me before too long. :o

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

That one is the next piece in my Merkur collection :cool:

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. PottyDoctor

Brian,

That's a real beauty! I NEED one of those! Is that the only place to buy one? How much are they in USD?

And yes, the 1904 is not as aggressive as other Merkurs. The head is the same as the Classic and the HD, but I attribute it un-aggressiveness to it's lighter weight. Lighter weight than the HD, that is.

6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Barbershop Classics in the Netherlands also sell them. The Muhle site works in 2 currencies...US and Euro.

7. PottyDoctor

I just found that same razor at Knox Cigar for $50. I don't know if the shipping from Muhle would end up about the same or not. Thing is, I can call Knox Cigar and go by and pick it up at their store and not have to pay shipping, since they are in my hometown. And sometimes the guy I deal with will give me a few percent off.

http://www.knoxcigar.com/musarasetr99.html

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Not to get too far off topic, but hey Ron, is Knox Cigar good to deal with? I love their site and have thought about ordering some stuff from them, but I haven't yet...

Back to topic...I looked at the 1904, but I may have to wait a while. After having bought quite a few Gillettes over the last coupla months, SWMBO would not look kindly on ANOTHER razor purchase.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. PottyDoctor

They've been good for me to deal with as I walk into their retail store and buy there. The website shows much more than they stock at the retail store, so if I see something on the web I want, I just call them up and tell them what it is and they have it over at the retail store for me.

I've not heard any negative comments about their web store either. They also have their own forum if you want to check it out.

10. Stubble

Stubble Member

Good info on the 1904 Ron, seems, as you say, a neglected razor! I agree, it has classic good looks and a style all its own. The price isn't bad either. Maybe more folks will chime in here, if they have used the 1904. I haven't, so find this thread interesting...........

11. fritz

fritz New Member

Well, both of those razors claim to be an R41, but if you look at the pictures on the two web sites the handles are quite different. :confused:

(Knox also has the R41 without the box for $25.)

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Don't know how this compares with the others that have been discussed in this thread, but I just found a "MÜHLE Traditional Razor in Metal Case" at http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/mutrrainmeca.html Regularly $50, now $30 "while supplies last". Has the faceted handle and appears to have no comb.

Attached Files:

13. navy_shave

navy_shave New Member

The 1904 was the first DE I ever bought. Used it once and promptly put it away--fast. Major razor burn and way too aggressive. . .

but that was then, this is now. I chalk up my bad experience to lack of technique and/or prep. Shaved with my SS and Slim for a couple of months before giving the 1904 another go. All I can say is WOW!! The 1904 has it all over my other razors. I find it far from aggressive. Gets me BBS in 3 passes.
    It's my workhorse razor now. I absolutely love it !

(Note: Shaved with my SS this morning for a change. Razor burn city! The shoe's now on the other foot, I guess :D ).

Herm2502 likes this.
  14. fritz

fritz New Member

Well, you said it yourself before I got a chance. I'm almost positive that the 1904, the Classic, the HD Classic and the LH Classic all have the same tops, only the handles are different. However, lighter/heavier weight doesn't have to translate to lower/higher pressure (especially since the weight changes are in the handles, not the heads), although you may have to adjust your technique to get the same pressure from all the combinations.

What would be really neat: a set of 1 open- and 1 closed-comb head, with 4 handles! Mix 'em up to fit your mood!:D

15. PottyDoctor

Right here would be a good place for some craftsmen to make a few extra bucks producing aftermarket handles for the Merkur heads. All kinds of options out there: stainless steel, plated brass, faux ivory, faux horn and more!

16. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Stumbled on this really old thread but it's relevant to me as the Merkur 1904 was one of my first razors and really my only current razor. I've since switched over to mainly vintage razors but the 1904 is still a favorite that gives me great shaves.

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Agree a nice looker and in good company whne compared to a 34c.

18. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

I've always thought this about the 1904. Very under rated and not recommended enough; especially for newbies. Usually the DE89 or 34C get the rave reviews and recommendations. The head is the same as other Merkurs but the smaller handle makes it more nimble. Incredible when its paired with a sharp blade like a Feather or Gillette Silver Blue.

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

This just makes me want to get the 1904 instead of HD. Have always loved the look of the handle.

Thanks a lot. Lol.

20. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I have had one for months that has yet been used. I will have to give it a try

Thanks for the recommendation