The 1920 Old type

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

First of all I want to give to shout outs to Martin and Rodd. Thanks large, they know what they did.

Second I would like to say that I put a feather in my 1920 this weekend and shaved with it. First I did not think I have a blade in the thing until I took out an invisible ingrown bump. Second I learned that going against the grain, on my neck (YMMV), was like slaughtering a pig. So this morning I decided to give it another go. Gripping the razor by the ball and letting it gracefully dance about my "mug". I remembered the mistakes of the first time an did not repeat them. A couple of errant, ingrown bumps were mowed over, nothing real bad.

Then after the alum and A/S. My face felt tighter than..., well you get the idea, and dry as the dickens, and raw. Never had this happen with the other blades I have tried or with the A/S & alum combo.

Any thoughts from the gallery?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Have you tried another blade in that razor? I only use feathers in a select few razors. They tend to bump the aggression up a notch or two.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Not yet. I am going to a Dorco next. Actually, despite the blood and guts of the first shave, it shaved like as soft as a tech. The second shave was the weird one.

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I just used the last of my Iridium Supers in my 1920 Bulldog last night and had yet another great shave. I'm thinking about loading it with a Derby for the next one. But, I agree with Rodd, I haven't even considered dropping a Feather in it. It's not needed.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

So, I realize that I may not be the brightest bulb in lamp, but can someone explain this apparent inverse relationship between the sharpness of the blade and its aggressiveness.

I realize that the 1920 is aggressive, but I like it and am not willing to give it up, but how is it that a super sharp blade can amp up the aggressive qualities. Would it not be the opposite?

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I guess I would really classify the Old Type as "unforgiving" as opposed to "aggressive". Therefore, you are more likely to do minor damage with a sharper blade than with a less sharp blade. I guess that makes sense, does it?

7. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

That makes more sense. But is have the angle correct and there really is no other damage except for the errant ingrown bump. So is the pain a factor of a blade being too sharp?

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It very well could be.

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

How very queer!?

Wonder what happens when I put the feather in a mild forgiving razor, blue tip or tech?

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I highly recommend it.

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. The Feather is perfect for a Tech. :happy088

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

This morning continuing the quest. I put a Dorco orange in the 1920. The shave was ok, some rough spots here and there and those damn bumps again. Felt better than the Personna Reds. I may have a new blade along with the Feather if it works.

No pain or drying, used Old Spice A/S instead of Skin Bracer. I put the feather in the blue tip that will be tomorrow. I have some Wilkinson's India left to try. And hopefully today I get all my presents that I have been waiting on.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

try a swede :D

14. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Working my way there.

15. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I put a Dorco orange in the 1920, not a good Idea. Pulled and pulled on the across strokes. The N S strokes were ok.

I put the feather in the blue tip. Great shave.

Still looking.

If Martins help doesn't bear out, then I will order the large pack from Gio.

16. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

FOUND IT!!

I received a Lord Golden razor and I put the Lord blade in the 1920. Shaved like a feather and with no pain.

Going to order more.

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Lord Golden razor?

and

Which Lord blade?