The ADJUSTABLE SYNDROME! And other Mysteries of the Universe!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marc Bagwell, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Okay, mysteries of the Universe maybe overstating my dilemma a bit much. That being said, here is the thing... I've been using a Merkur 34c, I like the razor, though I wish I could dial it up half a notch in aggressiveness. I know some people use an adjustable razor. The most sought after vintage razors are adjustables, so there must be something too them. This brings me to question my approach, and thought I'd ask a few of you old timers - some not so old - a few questions, sort of bouncing the question off the wall so to speak.

1- Is an adjustable razor the way to go?
    2- Vintage or new? (I'm really partial to Merkur)
    3- if Merkur, should I invest in the Progressive? Or the Future?
    4- Or should I travel to Tibet, climb a mountain and ask some smelly old guy with a long beard? I figure if he knew anything about shaving then he wouldn't have such a long beard, but hey, who am I to judge! :)

twhite, Keithmax, BigMike and 4 others like this.
  2. Marc Bagwell

And people, please don't pick option 4, I'm deathly afraid of smelly old guys with long beards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twhite, Carbide Mike and mrchick like this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

In my opinion, adjustable razors are over-rated. I haven't used any modern examples, but I did have a Gillette Slim years ago, and a Fatboy that I traded away a few months back. I find, personally, that I can get enough "adjustment" out of a razor simply by changing blades... I definitely think I'm in the minority based on sales trends, but it works for me.

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of adjustables. You can find the setting you like without having to try several different razors. The vintage ones are certainly more affordable, although I think either gives you a great range of shave settings. If you do get a vintage and find you don't care for it, you should be able to sell it and recoup your investment.

Sent via mobile - Chris

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm a big fan of adjustable razors. In my case, I've gone with vintage Gillette adjustables.

I've heard great things about both the Futur and the Progress. Personally, I think that if you're looking at the Progress, then I'd also take a look at the Parker Variant.

6. Marc Bagwell

Thank you, dust mite, I've always sorta believed the same way. I was wondering because you see so many people buying adjustables. I love my 34c, but it takes me 4 passes to get a BBS instead of the usual 3. Oh well, point is I'm still getting a BBS and that the important thing. Thanks for the feedback

7. Marc Bagwell

Thanks Chris, but I appreciate the input

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Like I said, I'm definitely in the minority on this...

9. Marc Bagwell

Thanks John, I had not thought of that one. I'll take a look

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

That's the great thing about having so many options. I had a Merkur 34C that I passed down to one of my sons. It was a great razor. All that really matters is that you are getting a good shave without it being a chore.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Carbide Mike and Marc Bagwell like this.
  11. Marc Bagwell

Yes Sir, you're right. I've not been wet shaving for very long but I am enjoying it immensely.

Carbide Mike and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In my opinion, the only advantage of an adjustable for me is that once I get it locked in to my number, it is neither too mild nor too aggressive.
    Buy a Blue Tip, for example, and discover you don't like it because it's too mild, get rid of it and hunt for another. Who knows how many razors you'll go through trying to find "THE ONE" with the perfect aggression?

Others find advantages of the adjustable to make the first pass "wild" (dialed wide open to 9), then mellow it out with pass two set at 7, for example, then finish up with pass three at "mild" set on 3.

I have all versions of the Gillette adjustables and they are all locked on 6.
    I have a Merkur Futur set at just a tad under 3.

So is vintage or modern better? For me, since I have achieved BBS with all my razors (not every time, mind you), "better" is a moot point.

13. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

I'm a fan of adjustables as well, I have a fat boy and slim. Both are about the same other than the handle. Fat boy is my favorite. But the slim is more affordable from what I have seen. If you watch ebay you can get them for about 20 dollars, and you can easily get your money back if you don't like it. I have read the futur has a big head and it can be difficult to shave your top lip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am another in the minority. Even when I used an adjustable it sat on one setting forever. The Futur was an exception to this, because it is so aggressive. I would find myself running it on a middle of the road setting regularly, but turning it up once in a while.

If you like the shave from it, and want one razor that will do it all, it is a definite plus for the platform.

If you like experimenting with different razors, and have a collection of them, you might find yourself doing what I did and just parking it at one setting.

Either way they are great shavers, and I think every razor fan should try one to see what they are all about. As mentioned above, you can always sell it, likely for what you paid for it if you are a careful shopper.

The Rockwell platform with interchangeable plates would be another consideration if you are looking for just one more razor.

15. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Buy an open comb replacement. I got one for my Merkur 33C and immediately noticed the difference. Still mild but definitely more aggressive than the closed comb.

Fas est et ab hoste docari

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

well there goes my advice. :(

Fwiw I never thought of adj. As anything special and they didn't give me any better or worse shave than any other razor.

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

If you want to give the Merkur 34c a little more bite you could always try to put a shim under the blade. I, like the others have found that with adjustables, once i fine the sweet spot for me, I set it and forget it.

Carbide Mike and Screwtape like this.
  18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Adjustable razors are a nice option. For Gillette I prefer the Slim, and for Merkur the Progress. The Futur is cool but a little bulky IMO.

19. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I have two Gillette adjustable razors and ten other DE razors. Then I stumbled on the Merkur Progress and it's perfection for me. I do change the setting to match my mood, but not often. It's easy to find the angle, more aggressive than the vintage Gillette and it sounds great as you shave. The Progress is the big seller in adjustable Merkurs, the Merkur Futur is great if you want to live on the edge and be aggressive .

20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

1- Is an adjustable razor the way to go?
    YES
    2- Vintage or new? (I'm really partial to Merkur)
    YES
    3- if Merkur, should I invest in the Progressive? Or the Future?
    YES
    4- Or should I travel to Tibet, climb a mountain and ask some smelly old guy with a long beard? I figure if he knew anything about shaving then he wouldn't have such a long beard, but hey, who am I to judge!
    MAYBE

Lancre, Carbide Mike, IDuck and 5 others like this.