The amazing Spoiler

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChemErik, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

When I received my first razors that belonged to my great grandfather, my grandpa included a partially used pack of Gillette Spoiler blades. I was nervous about using an old blade, especially to learn. Now, I just finished my fifth shave with my first spoiler. This is big, since I've never gone past 4 shave with any other blade and this one is showing no signs of giving out. The shave is comparable to an Astra Superior to me (my favorite or previously favorite blade), maybe slightly less sharp. I'll continue to get equally great shaves with my Astras when the Spoilers are gone, but if they were still made I know blades I'd be buying. I will let you know how many shaves I get when the blade gives out.

Anyone else use Spoilers? Any similar old blades with a personal connection stories to share?

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I use old stock blades almost exclusively. The Spoiler is in my rotation. It is a good, dependable, and as you say, long-lasting blade. I can easily get seven shaves out of one blade. It's not as smooth as the Gillette Platinum Plus but still it's a great blade.

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Straight Arrow obviously has a different opinion then most of the people that I have spoken to around these parts. Most people tell me that the technology has come a long way since these blades rolled off the assembly line as they have advised me not to use these blades. That said I am willing to try the old stock blades. What search term would I use to look for internet merchants of these sorts of items?

4. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I would posit that they were misleading you in hopes of snagging all the blades for themselves. The Spoilers and Platinum-Plus blades were made during the height of the "blade wars" between Gillette, Schick, and Wilkinson. These were the height of DE blade development. There's a lengthy thread at SMF examining these blades, and a head-to-head comparison thread right here. These are still some of the best blades you can get.

Correction. They're the best blades *I* can get. You guys keep your filthy paws off! They're mine! All mine! MINEMINEMINE! :D

richgem likes this.
  5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I do know where to get some vintage blades, sort of kept the URLs under my hat just in case I want them. I will need to go looking for more sources.

6. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

Hit the 'bay... I snagged a 5 pack of Platinum Plus for $3 a few months ago, but most vintage Gillettes I see go for more than I'm willing to pay for blades. As long as you are buying stainless steel, age shouldn't be a concern with vintage blades.

I've got a few vintage schicks that give 8 smooth shaves no problem... I wish I cuold buy those new.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks for the responses. The only NOS blades I can find readily available are Gillette Thins. How do these compare to the spoiler?

8. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

It depends on the vintage of the Thins. The 70s-era Thins, in the red and white wrapper have had great reviews across the street. The older, 50s-era Thins, in the red and black wrapper, are crap.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks, If I find a good deal and the red & white version I'll have to pick some up.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Tonight the spoiler hit the end of its life after shave #7. One more and it would have double any other blade for me.

11. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

"The Spoiler" was just an advertising tagline for the Gillette Super Stainless blades, successful enough that they began printing it on the blade packs.

It seems kinda pitiful, doesn't it? The very best blades we can get in 2009 are no better than what was available in the mid to late 1970s, most are nowhere near as good- and my past few months indicate that quality control these days is p*ss-poor compared to 30 yrs ago.

I understand it- back then, DE blades were where the money was, so they got all the manufacturer's attention. But the mfgs were so successful at promoting the cartridge replacements that for many years now, in the USA & many other prosperous countries, the DE blade is no more than a drop in the bucket. It still gripes me though!:mad:

Gillette Super Stainless and Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, those old Wilkinsons and Personnas- If you can find 'em, give 'em a try.;)

12. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I just used "The Spoiler" blade in my most finicky razor, the venerable ABC "Empire" razor. The shave came out PERFECT. No other blade shaves satisfactory in this razor except the Russian made Gillette "Green", but even that one doesn't give an irritation-free result. I will be shaving with this again just to be 100% sure that this is 'the' blade for this razor, but there is no doubt that my shave this morning was a mind-blower. I didn't believe this blade would make this big of a difference. It was a staggering improvement. I went from every blade imaginable tearing up my skin and leaving bad irritation over to this blade that gave a really, really nice shave. It still felt like a shave from an aggressive razor but the blade's smoothness is unmatched by anything else I've tried.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

great news Tim..spoilers are fantastic blades imo..i have also been enjoying these.great longevity and feel very similar.. download (2).jpg and a huge difference in price..these blades are also marked like the spoilers with arrows for blade dispensers..one could refill a vintage dispenser..