The Barbasol Shaving Cream Travel Can Experiment - Sensitive Skin

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by sdguero, Oct 16, 2017.

1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I was asked by @AGHisBBS last week if I was willing for the sake of "wet shaving science" to try to find out how many shaves could be done with a travel-sized can of Barbasol Shaving Cream. I had just gotten a travel size can of the Barbasol Sensitive Skin scent a couple of weeks ago and used it the first time this past Thursday. I agreed to do so, and beginning today keep track of its uses. However I'll consider the first shave last Thursday as Shave #1 with this travel can.

Now, I am no scientist. I'm not doing a lab-controlled experiment. I'm just an ordinary shave enthusiast who now is curious how many shaves a person can get form a 2 oz can of Barbasol. But this is my plan. I'll shave every day (except maybe weekends) until this travel can is done. I intend to do only face shaves with it for the remainder of October. Starting in November, I'm not face shaving. I promised my wife that I would grow a beard and I promised I'll start it in November. Nevertheless, and assuming this travel can is still pumping out shave cream, I'll use it for head shaves. Fortunately, my bride loves facial hair and bald heads so I can still shave. I'm planning to ensure this can of shave cream isn't having to do "double-duty" with both face and head shaves on a single day.

Some days I'll apply the shave cream by hand, and on other days I'll try a brush. My intention is to use no more than two dollops (about the size of a golf ball) of the cream to do my shaves to cover 2 or 3 passes.

I looked over my Barbasol collection, which is limited. I have a big can of Pacific Rush, a big can of the Soothing Aloe, and a travel size can of Original. I noticed the Original travel size is 2.25 oz (64 g) while the Sensitive Skin (the focus of this experiment) is 2 oz. (57 g). I won't pretend to know why that is.
    View attachment 149037

So, Shave 1 occurred on Thursday, October 12.

SOTD 10.12.2017

Pre-shave: hot shower
    No brush
    Barbasol Sensitive Skin shaving cream
    Razor: Gem Micromatic OC
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Pinaud Musk Cologne

I had been out fishing most of the day so didn't get showered and shaved until this evening. Just wanted a quick shave since it's soon off to bed. I picked up this Sensitive Skin Barbasol last week at Walmart in their travel section bins. I don't believe I've ever used it before. It was very nice. I especially like the scent which reminds me of a Sandalwood scent. Overall, a very good, satisfying shave. I hope everyone is enjoying his / her week!

View attachment 149040

Without further ado.... we'll get started.

Dan

2. sdguero

Shave #2 10.16.2017

Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin
    Blade: Personna Blue (2)
    Razor: Gillette Black Beauty (P-3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Skin Bracer AS

I still love the scent of this flavor of Barbasol and believe it's a Sandalwood scent. I used 2 dollops of the cream for two primary passes, and a 3rd clean-up pass.

This was my first use of the 1970 Gillette Adjustable 109. I had four days worth of stubble and unsure where I start, I simply started at setting 1. It was a smooth, comfortable 1st pass, and I still had stubble on my chin and neck area, which isn't unusual for me. I decided to change the setting to a 3 and did my second pass, and afterwards double-checking what had been missed or needed some clean-up, I thought, "WOW! This is great!" I think I love this razor. I did a clean up pass on my neck but I don't think I needed it. I declared a BBS!

IMG_1352.JPG

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

As founder of the Barbasol Brotherhood and champion of all things mass market, I think this is really cool and will follow this thread to track your progress.

4. sdguero

Shave #3 10.17.2017

Pre-shave: Hot Shower & Shave Secret (not pictured)
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable (P-1)
    Blade: Personna Blue (3)
    Post-shave: Thayer's Lavender WH, Nivea "Maximum Hydration" Post Shave Balm, Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum AS

This is Shave #3 to find out how many shaves a person can get from a travel size can of Barbasol Sensitive Skin shave cream. I used one golf ball sized dollop for the initial pass, and then a half sized dollop for the 2nd pass.... that was all I needed today. Great shave!

This is my second shave with the '70 Gillette black beauty. I was mistaken yesterday, this razor is a P-1, not a P-3 as I noted yesterday. Fairly minor error, but during my career I had a reputation of being a stickler on getting the details right in documentation so I feel I have to set the record straight.

Today I set the razor at #5 and I didn't look back. 1st pass... grand. 2nd pass... magnificent. After the 2nd pass I felt around on my face to determine where I needed clean-up and thought, "No! This can't be. Don't tell me this joyous experience is over already! I always have some clean-up to do." I pretended I had an exposed hair or two on my neck, even though I didn't feel any, so I could enjoy a clean-up pass. I love this razor!

I hope everyone else enjoys an equally joyful shave!
    IMG_1372.JPG

RyX, ilts, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  5. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I want to thank you for taking on this project for the team. It's about time the amazing lasting power of the Barbasol travel size is at least estimated, the only figure I have is "many more shaves than you'd think". Somehow I'm reminded of this:

RyX, ilts, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  6. sdguero

Fortunately, the travel size Barbasol does not have a chewy, delicious center so cheating is not an option. :cool:

7. sdguero

Shave #4 10.18.2017

Pre-shave: hot shower & Shave Secret (not pictured)
    Shave Cream: Travel Size Barbasol Sensitive Skin scent http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable 109 (P-1)
    Blade: Personna Blue (4)
    Post-shave: Thayer's Lavender WH, Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm, Aqua Velva AS

Late evening shave today since I spent the day at the lake. Continuing with the "How many shaves can a shaver get from a travel size can of Barbasol" experiment. Tonight I only used a single golf ball sized dollop from the travel can, which I applied by hand. I had enough left over on my hand to cover a 2nd pass comfortably. This has been such a great razor for me, I find I don't need a copious amount of lather to do clean-up work.

Did a single pass with the '70 Gillette (this time, set at #1). Then a 2nd pass and I was done. Very CCS tonight. I used an extra amount of the Nivea balm this evening because I got a lot of sun today. Although it was only in the mid-60s that sun was beating down hot! And the highs here for the next two days are supposed to be about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Have a great day / night everyone!
    10.18.2017.jpg

8. sdguero

Shave #5 10.19.2017

Face Shave:
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel-size can (5th shave so far)
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable 109
    Blade: Personna Blue (5)
    Post-shave: Thayer's WH, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Skin Bracer

Head Shave:
    Shave Cream: Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated Shaving Cream
    Lathering bowl: My wife's home-made, Rosemaled bowl
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, synthetic
    Razor: EverSharp Schick G1
    Blade: Schick (1)
    Post-shave: same as above

It was time to do a head shave but as I mentioned when I started this thread, I wasn't going to make this travel size can do double-duty. I continued to use it only for the face shave today, and used a different product for the head shave. I only had to use a single golf ball sized dollop of cream, applied by hand, and it was enough for a 1st pass and a 2nd pass. Today's face shave was not as wonderful as the last three days. It was good, just not magnificent. Somehow, some way, I gave myself a blood-letting with three nicks or weepers about the chin area. I'm sure that was my fault. I think I lost concentration and applied too much pressure as I went over the chin and the Gillette 109 was set at #5. Live and learn. The post-shave made me feel better.

The head shave was great! I used my newly acquired Schick G1. It had to do battle with a week's worth of stubble and it performed admirably.

Overall, great 2-part shaves using different creams and razors. Hope everyone is having a great day / evening.
    10.19.2017 2.jpg

9. sdguero

Shave #6 10.20.2017

Pre-shave: Black coffee & a hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can (shave #6)
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, synthetic (not pictured)
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable black beauty
    Blade: Derby Extra (1)
    Post-Shave: Thayer's WH, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Jovan AS / Cologne

At the last minute, I opted to put a golf ball size dollop of the shave cream directly on a shave brush and paint it on my face. It worked well, and kept my hands clean for the duration of the shave. After the first pass, I used what was left on the brush to cover my face for a 2nd pass. Not satisfied that I had enough of a cushion, I had to add two small dollops to the brush to ensure I had enough lather to protect my skin. With the razor setting on #3 the new Derby blade performed exceptionally well and I ended with a close, comfortable shave. Have a great day everyone as you prepare for the weekend!
    IMG_1455.JPG

ilts, RyX, EnglishChannel and 2 others like this.
  10. sdguero

Shave #7 10.21.2017

Pre-shave: Black coffee and a hot shower
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, Synthetic
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel side can + Cremo Sandalwood Shave Cream
    Razor: Gillette Milady Decollete Open Comb, 3 piece razor(SN D767833 made in 1917)
    Blade: Derby (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stetson Cooling Moisture AS, Stetson Original Cologne

I decided I wanted to add something to the Barbasol today and chose the Cremo Sandalwood. I continued to use only a golf ball size dollop of the Barbasol in keeping with the experiment. I dispensed the dollop in a bowl and whipped it with the shaving brush. Then I added a little water and a quarter size amount of Cremo and the resulting lather was very slick. It painted on my face like meringue and was very nice. Good combination! After 2 passes I had more than enough left over for a clean up pass on my neck.

I acquired this Gillette razor in a travel case back in July during an out-of-town trip. I didn't know a lot about it initially, except that it cleaned up very nice and the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1917. I chose to pull it out and do a first shave with it. I was a little reluctant because it has a crack down the side of the handle, which makes it a bit loose so I had to go slowly. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant shave and the razor performed well.

It wasn't until later when I did a little research on this razor, and an old type with a ball handle that I realized this "Milady Decollette" razor was marketed for women. And here I thought it was a little travel razor.... Oops! No wonder that handle is so petite! Well, if my wife can rifle through my side of the closet and wear my shirts whenever she wants, I think I should be able to use a razor marketed for women once in a while.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    IMG_1459.JPG

Barbasol lather in a bowl.....
    IMG_1464.JPG
    Barbasol + Cremo
    IMG_1466.JPG

ilts, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

That is a very nice looking Gillette Open Comb.
    1917?!? It looks like a brand new razor! Excellent job cleaning it up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. sdguero

Thank you. It cleaned up nicely with a soak in a soapy bath and a short time in Scrubbing Bubbles.

EnglishChannel and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. sdguero

Shave #8 10.22.2017

Pre-shave: shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, Synthetic
    Razor: Gillette Gold Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: Derby (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Walgreen's Cooling AS

Took a quick shower and applied the shave cream by brush. I used a golf-ball sized dollop as usual and tried to bowl lather it. Initially it worked well, but I needed to add a small dollop to complete the 2nd pass, and a clean-up for the neck. So far, after 8 shaves this travel size can has not shown any signs that it is about to stop. Had a pleasant, close, comfortable shave with the Gillette Tech and Derby blade. Hope all had a good weekend!
    IMG_1475.JPG

ilts, RyX, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  14. sdguero

Shave #9 10.23.2017

Pre-shave: hot water & Shave Secret
    Shave cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can
    Razor: Schick G1
    Blade: Schick (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm, Skin Bracer

Just a face shave today. Only used a single golf ball size dollop for 2 passes. Still going strong with this can so far. Easy, comfortable and smooth. Have a great day, everyone! IMG_1480.JPG

ilts, EnglishChannel, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. sdguero

Shave #10 10.24.2017

Face Shave:
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can
    Blade: Schick (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Pinaud Musk cologne

Head Shave:
    Pre-shave: same
    Shave Cream: CO Bigelow
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (2nd or 3rd use)
    Post-shave: same

In keeping with the experiment I only used the Barbasol for the face shave this morning. Again I used a golf ball sized dollop and that got me through 2 full passes for a very smooth shave. It was and is very satisfying.
    IMG_1497.JPG

ilts, EnglishChannel, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. sdguero

Shave #11 10.25.2017

Face Shave:
    Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can (#11) http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Probak OC
    Blade: Derby Extra (4)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 AS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

Head Shave:
    Shave Soap: VDH Deluxe soap puck
    Brush: VDH boar
    Razor: Pal Injector
    Blade: Schick (2nd or 3rd I think)

In keeping with my experiment on the Barbasol travel size can I again only used it on the face shave so it's not doing double duty on one day, i.e. a face and head shave. Besides, I want to keep some of my other shave products in rotation. Once again I was able to use only a single golf ball sized dollop to shave my face, including the 2nd pass and clean-up on the neck area. Still, this travel size can of Barbasol isn't showing any evidence that it's running low on shave cream.

Did yard work this morning. I think this may be the last day I will have to mow the lawn. Although it's supposed to get to a high of 80 degrees Fahrenheit today (26 C), tomorrow the high will be about 40 degrees cooler and there's a slight chance of snow late in the day. Time to get the snow shovels ready!

For the face shave I did my usual 2 passes, and a clean-up pass on the neck area. I am very impressed with this Probak razor.

I took out the Pal injector to handle the head shave and it performed admirably. The only hiccup to an otherwise fine shave today was a cut to the back of my neck. I knew I hit something with the razor, twice. I didn't think too much at first about it but when I re-lathered my scalp for a 2nd pass I saw some blood on the brush. I finished up the shave and had to get some help from the wife because I could not tell what I had done. She said I cut open a blemish and also had a minor cut near it. She gave me some first aid, and made it all better.

Have a great day, everyone!
    IMG_1501.JPG

17. sdguero

Shave #12 10.26.2017

Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Gillette Gold Tech
    Blade: Derby (5)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Skin Bracer AS

Face shave only this morning. It was a quick 2 pass shave, close and comfortable. This is shave #12 on this little travel can... it's still going strong. A single golf-ball sized dollop applied by hand was all I needed for the shave. No clean-up pass needed. The Derby blade is still working fine. I hope everyone is have a great day!
    IMG_1514.JPG

18. sdguero

Shave #13 10.27.2017

Face Shave:
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can (13)
    Razor: Merkur 1904 OC
    Blade: Personna Red (1)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, P&G Old Spice AS

Head Shave:
    Shave soap: VDH Luxury
    Brush: RazoRock Synthetic
    Razor: same
    Blade: same

This was Shave #13 with this travel size can of Barbasol. This can has not started "wheezing" or "spitting" yet thus showing evidence it's about to give up. So, it's still going strong. I'm still only using it for face shaves, which by the way was an excellent shave with the Merkur and new Personna blade. Maybe not perfect BBS, but very close.

The head shave was equally good. I enjoy the VDH Luxury. It was my first shave puck after all and it continues to provide me with excellent results. Have a great weekend, everyone!
    IMG_1526.JPG

19. sdguero

Shave #14 10.28.2017

Pre-shave: Hot water
    Shave cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can
    Blade: Schick (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Skin Bracer AS

Very late shave today. My wife hosted a baby shower for a niece today. Being the dutiful husband I am, I helped her get the house ready then I disappeared for the day. That is... I left. I did go on a hunt and found some things but I'll post that in the next day or two.

As far as this shave went it was great! I can declare I achieved BBS this time around. Usually, I have trouble with the neck stubble but I got it this time!

As I have been doing for this experiment I used a golf ball sized dollop which provided me with enough to do two complete passes and some touch-up on the neck.
    IMG_1531.JPG

ilts, EnglishChannel, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. sdguero

Shave #15 10.29.2017

Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin Travel Size Can
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (3rd or 4th use)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Family Dollar Spice AS

I have no idea how much longer this travel size can of Barbasol is going to last. This is shave #15 and it still hasn't showed signs it is about to give up. I still only used a single golf ball sized dollop to complete a successful shave. I watched the Minnesota / Cleveland game this morning then took a quick shower and then shaved. It was a DFS too. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
    sotd 10.29.2017 3.jpg

ilts, RyX, Bama Samurai and 1 other person like this.