The best advice to wet-shavers...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HUF, Jan 8, 2018.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

I have been wet-shaving for more than 40 years and the results were still varying. Razors, blades (and their combinations), pressure, creams, soaps, brushes... all this is important but I cannot overestimate the importance of proper hydration. I used to have a few splashes of hot/warm water before lathering my face. What I do now is AT LEAST 10 such splashes. It does make difference, folks. So, hydrate for at least three minutes before lathering.

2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

This is why I shave right after showering.

MikeyIdaho, PLANofMAN, MaxG and 4 others like this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Washcloth, hot and wet, scrub it good!

Tallships likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

In all the movies showing folks getting shaved by a barber with a straight razor - a hot towel soak happens first. Are you telling me they didn't just make that stuff up? ;)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yessir. There's a reason it's called wet shaving! :)

Terry, RyX, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Wash that face before shaving.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I alway rinse my face with warm water for about a minute prior to lathering up. It definitely helps with my shaves.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

9. HUF

HUF Active Member

That's what I used to do as well...for a minute or so. Try three minutes, see if it makes a difference!

Jim99 likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hence WETshaving

Not single blading, not old fashion lathering, not brush n' mug, all may be part. But wet being premise.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jim99 like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

For the past 35 years, I have followed the same routine. Wash my face with plain soap, splash it with clean water, start making my lather, and shave away. Works for me.

I am sure that hot towels and other treatments feel pleasant, and even may make a difference, but it's too much hassle for me. I want my shaves basic and simple, and not some sort of elaborate routine.

YMMV, as always.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

MikeyIdaho and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

May make your face feel better. Does not really matter to the wiskers.
    I would venture that most guys did not really keep their face that clean. The hot towel was more to clean the face and feel good as to actually help the shave.
    I use to preach prep too. Now I have figured out it is more for the routine then the shave. Most all my prep these days is a simple face wipe with a damp rag. If there is more it is from a pre shave shower. All the face soaking and pre shave stuff is more for the brain then the beard.
    I am not saying don't do it if you like it. Routines are a big plus. What's right is what works for you. But it does nothing for the cutting of hair by a blade.

PastorAndy914, brit, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  13. swarden43

I would take a guess that the majority of those who are face soaking and/or using a pre-shave product do not shower prior to their shave.

I find a hot shower before my shave goes a long way toward a close, comfortable shave.

BigMark83, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Hot shower prep for Me. I tried other ways but end up looking like a medium rare Salisbury steak

Minaton, Keithmax and LevelupShaves like this.
  15. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I usually shave after a shower but the only real prep I do is wetting the face. I do believe having enough hydration is the best start to a good shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Over three years I've experienced the opposite. It's all blade control and lather for me, prep has no effect on my outcome. I don't do any beyond a quick wash in cold water.

But, I will stress that judging outcome is more important than divining prep techniques. So, I am actually neutral on prep being necessary for others, and don't do it personally.

MaxG, brit, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I find a quick rinse with water, although I'm in the cold water camp, does seem to help.
    At least with my lather at least.
    Seems that last bit of water on my face right before I start building my lather helps the soap to lather perfectly.
    If I happen to bowl lather that day, I still will rinse right before applying.
    If it is too thin, then I can add more soap, but it is my base.
    As always YMMV.

18. swarden43

I try a cold water shave at least once a year, for no other reason that one of those shaves might produce a comfortable shave.
    So far, nope.
    Been shaving for nigh 40 years. I've had numerous shaves prior to a hot shower. Always the same--uncomfortable.
    I will say if final outcome is all you're worried about, if you don't care how you get there or how it feels doing so, close shaves can be achieved. And if you happen to be one who can get a comfortable shave prior to showering and/or using cold water to shave, more power to you.
    For me, the journey is as important as the final destination.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

For me, thirty years shaving total. Two enjoying the minimalist way. My true goal is automatic two pass comfy dfs with anything. Luckily, my skin is apparently tolerant of a lot of things that don't work in every situation.

Related:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/index.php?posts/1374552

brit and Spyder like this.
  20. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

I take my time when I shave and I think applying a hot moist rag to my face keeps the lather from drying out quite as quickly as opposed to not doing it.