The Best Bourbon Balls Ever

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by 1OldGI, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Description:
    Bourbon balls are a great confection for Christmas (or anytime really.) A guy at work brings these in this time every year and they are absolutely amazing. Finally captured the recipe and decided to share. My Mom used to make a similar recipe using 151 proof Bicardi Rum. After a hand full of those you weren't fit to be out in public.

Time: 20-30 minutes plus a couple days aging (if you can wait that long)
    Difficulty: Easy
    Serving Size: A whole bunch

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup Bourbon (you can use brandy or rum if you prefer but Maker's Mark bourbon is the best)

3 tbsp light corn syrup

2 tbsp instant tea

2 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers ( 1 box = recipe)

1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

1 cup confectioners sugar

Preparation:
    1. Crush up vanilla wafers to make really fine crumbs

2. Finely chop the walnuts or pecans

3. Gather up the rest of the ingredients. I recommend sampling the Maker's Mark first to make sure it's still good. My trials are typically 2 fingers of Maker's Mark on ice with ginger ale and a slice of lime. It may take a couple of these to ensure the quality of the bourbon being used in the recipe but...hey, sacrifices must be made for greatness.

Instructions:
    1. Mix together crumbs, confectioners sugar and nuts

2. Blend bourbon and instant tea with corn syrup - add to crumb's mixture stirring until well blended.

3. Shape into balls and roll in confectioners sugar.

4. Put finished bourbon balls into a sealed container (a tupperware bowl or similar bowl with a lid will work well)

5. Age for a couple days ( a week is better)

6. Enjoy!

2. aubug

aubug Member

Thanks been thinking of trying to make these, if this receipe is as good as your shaving tips it should be a real winner. let you know in a few weeks how they turned out.

3. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Thanks 1OLDGI,

I used to have these at my Mom's every Holiday season (Rum version). Haven't had any for years. I'm going to try out your recipe tomorrow.

Alan

4. DonR

DonR Active Member

These are a tradition...Just spent the day making a similar version. The recipe s still fresh in my mind.
    1 cup crushed vanilla wafflers.
    1 cup confectioners sugar.
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa.
    1 cup crushed pecans.
    3 tablespoons corn syrup
    1/4 cup rum or bourbon

Mix the above together

Roll into balls.
    Roll in 3:1 mixture of unsweetened coca/ confectioners sugar and age for a few days.

I made 4 batches ..don't expect them to make it to Christmas.