The blade that requires your best technique

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jsw41, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jsw41

jsw41 Member

In my pursuit of perfect technique, I often fall short. I catch myself sometimes moving the razor using my wrist so that there is a slight swing to my shave stroke. This will occur where my face is contoured, like under the bottom lip and jaw. I get away with it, but I end up with a longer time spent on touch-up strokes. My question is, is there a blade that you use that requires more attention/focus and is less forgiving, and requires you to master your technique?

2. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Yeah. A Feather. I don't remember shaving with this brand where I did not get at least one nick. A wickedly unforgiving blade for me. But, a very close shave.

BigMark83 and jsw41 like this.
  3. jsw41

jsw41 Member

I have not used a Feather blade, just like I don't use a staight razor, I don't think my technique is good enough.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Feathers. I can use them, but I get a better shave in my Fatboy with other blades. I do, however, find that I have to pay attention to my technique regardless of the blade if I want a great shave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I think that it really depends on a particular blade in a particular razor (others might disagree). I would agree that Feather can be a bit demonic in an aggressive razor, but I really like them in a milder razor. Feathers work wonderfully for me in my Rockwell 6S or 6C with the #3 base; or in a Slim on #4 or #5; or in a Gillette Tech. But, I don't like to use them in my Merkur Futur (unless dialed way down) or in my Maggard V3 and, for some reason, I don't like them that much in any of my Flair Tips. I would say "don't use them in open comb razors," but I actually have Gillette New Type that is just about as mild as any of my other milder razors. So, I think that any sharp blade requires attention while in use. But, I can think of several blades that won't nick you, but they require many passes to get a smooth/close shave. I, myself, will opt for less time with a razor blade on my face. I think it mostly boils down to technique with a particular razor.

JazzDoc, Kaladin, Lancre and 3 others like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The only time my R41 has bit me was with a Feather. It was my fault though; I slapped the razor on my skin at almost a 90 degree angle.

JazzDoc, jsw41 and Terry Williams like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Voskhod in my '71 SA-109 when it's set on "9" during my Sunday two day growth shave. The "NO pressure"lamp is always lit.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. jsw41

jsw41 Member

Thanks for your opinions, and experience. I had been thinking that there might be a blade/razor combo that could be a measuring stick to tell if your technique has improved.

JazzDoc likes this.
  9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

+1
    Some blade/razor combinations work for me and others don't. A Feather in a mild razor (pretty much any vintage Gillette) works great. The same blade in a Fendrihan Adventurer is touchy.

JazzDoc, Terry Williams and jsw41 like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Everyone has a different skill set and face, the only way to tell if a razor/blade is/can be a measuring stick is for you to determine. YMMV

JazzDoc, BigMark83 and jsw41 like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Time it's the greatest teacher. It'll happen with patients and stick-to-it-ness.
    My greatest leaps in technique came from trying things, leaving them alone, then returning later.

JazzDoc and jsw41 like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Mild razor heads, in general, are the measuring stick. Many people consider the Tech and r41 to be the tests. They lie at the extremes of aggressiveness.

Blades don't matter nearly as much as people think, though the sharper a blade is, the more rough it can feel during the shave. The difference between Derby and Feather is obvious, but they can both produce irritation free bbs.

13. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

This is probably true, but your combination is probably different than mine. It's strange. Very normal people can have extremely different experiences with the same gear (hate to think what the very abnormal people go through :)). The 30 Day Rule/Focus is the best way, IMHO, to get your technique down. I struggled at first and the kind members here guided me to the doing the Rule (1 razor, 1 brush, 1 brand of blade, 1 soap, 1 month). That completely gelled my technique. After that, I started experimenting; different soaps, 1 razor, 1 blade, 1 brush, 1 month, then a different razor, 1 soap, 1 brush, etc. In the end, I found out that the razor/blade combination that I used during the Rule were not my favorite, but I wasn't slashing and burning my face any longer. So, I feel that I can try new stuff now without a lot of pain and get a good understanding of how it works for me. At this point, I have found some favorites and keep them in my quiver. Anything new suffers or favors the comparison. If it passes, then I keep it in my den for awhile. Otherwise, it gets PIF'd in a library that I keep at work for my wet shaving friends there. So, check out the 30 Day Rule/Focus and get your technique straightened out. Then, you should be able to try different stuff to see what really works for you.

14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I have had a Feather, AStra SP and Voskhod in a Merkur 34C and a Fendrihan Scientist (V1). In all cases, the following holds true:

Anyone can shave with any blade. Of course, bad technique will bite you, literally.

If you have a mild razor, I would try what you deem as the sharper range. Grab a sample pack with at least 2 of each blade in case you get a bad one.

15. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

It looks like I get the best shaves from sharp blades like Feather. I never nick myself with them. For me the most challenging blades are the duller brands.

The dull brands tug so terrible, that the shave itself is a pain. In order to minimize the pain, I do extra fast movements, hoping to "chop" through by the speed. I also have to concentrate on having the blade at a "guillotine angle", to minimize the tugging. Many times the dull blades wants to flex because of the resistance, making the razor to jump and nick myself. My face would always feel raw after a shave with Derby, Dorco & Co.

16. whispers76

whispers76 Member

A newbie myself, but this makes a huge amount of sense. The easiest knife to cut yourself with is a dull knife because you have to put more force behind it, where a sharp knife does all the work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JazzDoc likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1 :signs011:

18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Do you have an Alum Block? I feel like more than any blade it's a great teaching tool with instant feedback on your technique. Simply put if it burns either your angle or pressure was wrong in that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzDoc and Terry Williams like this.
  19. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I like feathers quite a bit but in general I prefer sharper more efficient blades. That being said I can make it work with any blade it just might take more work that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzDoc likes this.
  20. RichMack

RichMack Well-Known Member

Feather blades all day every day are much less forgiving than any I've come across. I use them in my Big Al Shavette and let me tell you if angle is off its gonna feel like I fell asleep in the sun for a whole day.

JazzDoc, jsw41 and Terry Williams like this.