The Briary Meetup 2016 - BamaT and Bama Samurai

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings Denizens!

Today I had the pleasure to have lunch and head out for some pipe shopping with TSD's own @BamaT (Tony) while visiting Birmingham area, Alabama, USA. After a lunch of BBQ at the Original Jim 'N Nick's BBQ in Homewood, Alabama. And, it's no accident that we ended up in this neighborhood, The Briary, happens to be close by!

image.jpeg

The Briary is located in a converted farmhouse structure in the old part of Homewood. The shop has been in existence for 40+ years, and is the second oldest shop in the state of Alabama. It features rustic floors, lots of wood, an amazing selection of pipes, tobaccos, as well as one of the finest walk-in Humidors in the USA. But today, we were all about the pipes. This is Tony's main tobacco shop haunt, and I feel blessed to get the fine intro I received today.

image.jpeg
    From left: Skip Elliott (tobacconist, pipe maker, proprietor of the Briary), Chris (Bama Samurai), Tony (BamaT)

Upon arrival, Tony introduced me to Skip, and we got down to the business of talking pipes. His shop features five cases of pipes for sale, and full complement of bulk and blending options, and a wall of tins!

image.jpeg

Chris watching Skip wrap up some new goodies, bought two NOS Chacom per the reccomendation of Tony and Skip.

image.jpeg

Pipes Galore!

image.jpeg

Tobacco Heaven!

Tony and I had a blast! We talked pipes with Skip for almost two hours, and even got a few goodies. One of the real treats of the day was being offered a sample of a prototype blend that Skip is working on. It was pretty cool to get to try something that's not for sale yet! I spent some time looking over NOS Chacom, and couldn't resist the urge to pick up a couple of goodies. Today was a great experience, and it was a true pleasure to get to actually meet Tony. Thanks to Tony for lunch and all the hospitality today! Tony is a true gentleman and someone I enjoy being around very much. And big thanks to Skip, for sharing his knowledge and giving us the VIP treatment at his shop. He made a customer for life in me today, I will revisit this shop as often as possible. If you're ever in Birmingham, and have never been to a world class tobacconist, check out The Briary. It's a top ten shop in the whole USA, and Skip can definitely find a match for any palate. Once again thanks to both of these great guys who showed me a good time today, I had a ball!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Jim99, Bobcat, dustmite and 13 others like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Wow, that is nice. It's much better than anything to be found in the fourth largest city in the USA.

BamaT, trey06dmd and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!!

BamaT, trey06dmd and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What a place! :)

Bama Samurai, BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  5. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Sounds like a great visit!

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I bet it smells marvelous in there?

trey06dmd and BamaT like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Chris, it was a true pleasure having you in town today, finally meeting you in person, sharing a fine meal, and spending some time in The Briary. I've known Skip since 1978, and he is a first class guy and runs a first class establishment. The Briary is truly a unique shop, and I feel fortunate to have such a quality pipe and tobacco shop close to me.

I also feel fortunate to count Chris and many other fine folks at TSD as my friends! Chris, I'm glad you had a good time; you picked up a couple of really nice Chacom pipes. Enjoy the rest of your visit with your family, and safe travels home my friend. I look forward to your next visit!

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yes indeed!

JR Reyes and trey06dmd like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

It really was!

trey06dmd likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Cool, wish I was there. BBQ and pipes in the town I was born.

11. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

That sounds like a wonderful visit

12. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Don't know if I'm more jealous of your visit to the Briary, or Jim & Nick's! I spent two weeks in Birmingham, and practically lived on "Pig in the Potato Patch."

BamaT, Bama Samurai and trey06dmd like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good times! As someone mentioned, the smell of that place must have been 'intoxicating'!
    My dad smoked a pipe for years and every time I smell pipe tobacco, it brings me to another time, another place.

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

What a great outing!!!