The Chronicle of my new Zenith Boar

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PickledNorthern, May 27, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

As much as I love (and prefer) badger knots, there is a solid corner on my shelf reserved for boars too. I had pretty much wheedled them down to one each of my favorite of Semogue and Omega, but I keep/kept reading about Zenith. Because I love backbone and scrub so much, I ordered their "Big Scrubby" which measures out to a serious dwarf like 28x50.

[​IMG]

First impressions: Because the loft is so short, as you can imagine, the backbone is almost excessive; seems like maybe even more than I will care for in the long run. Tips feel as soft as one would expect out of a NIB dry boar, and the funk was very minimal when first soaked. I whipped up a knot full of Tabac, and it is sitting on the counter now; am sure it will be fine for tonight's shave.

One thing that is non-negotiable to me is how awesome the aluminum handle is. It is "Pro" sized, hefty and definitely says "Real Deal". While polished, it is not excessively bright, and I can see it weathering out nicely. For 7.00 more, they do offer it in polished chrome.

I have read other reviews of this brush, and they are mostly positive for those who want a BRUSH. I obviously am positive, but check this out compared to similar sized badger knots. This one might take a bit of work:

[​IMG]

Will keep this updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking forward to your thoughts on the brush. I briefly had a Zenith Pro Aluminum B2 and PIFed to a newbie. Regretting that I ordered another. The B2 is even better than I remembered. The tips after 8 uses are softer than my Omega 49 with 10 times the use. The knot one the B2 measures 26x57. Like you I really love the shape of the handle.

[​IMG]

In fact I liked the B2 enough to order a chrome handled version B18 with a loft of 26x61

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

After seeing this thread, I purchased this one, 24 mm knot 57mm loft, Aluminum handle. It was only $20.
    Thanks for starting this thread.[​IMG]

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you for the review. I enjoy the shape and knot of an Omega 48. The Zenith handle looks like the original that Omega tried to copy. Being made of aluminum I'm guessing it's heftier that the hollow plastic look alike.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The chrome over solid brass B18 came in the mail today. I am impressed. The added heft over the aluminum is apparent and the different loft will be nice. Since I am unwilling to go through an extend break in period, I have been reluctant to add boar brushes to my rotation. With the Zenith boars I can enjoy them right out of the box without drama.

[​IMG]

6. DaltonGang

clint64 likes this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm probably going to need one of those....

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

I just had my first shave with mine; review in a few minutes. I do have to say that after one test lather from yesterday, the look of the knot is atrocious. (This is coming from the guy who loves his Semogue because it looks like a different kind of road kill after each use...) If a five year old would have clipped this in a mirror with safety scissors and her off hand, it would have looked better. I am aware these pics don't show it well, but at this point My OCD has me teetering towards disappointed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For sure these pics don't show it, but it looks "clumpy".

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am glad the first of mine does not look like that . Mine has held it's shape like an Omega but it does have the ring around the knot.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I am telling you, it it an ugly knot. I will for sure work with it, but if it doesn't split and bloom out, it will be an Omega re-knot.

12. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I've got an empty vintage handle in need of an ugly boar knot...;);)

macaronus, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I spent some time on Shave Nook before I found TSD. Those guys spend more for one brush than I've invested in my den total. If I bought a $500 super duper deluxe ultimate made from eyebrows only badger brush, I don't think it would smear lather much better that a fifteen dollar boar. Knowing it's beauty in the eye of the beholder, I don't see the "clumpy"-ness of your brush @PickledNorthern . Just looks like a great fat knot of bleached porcine bristle. The great thing about these Zeniths is those handles ought to last like long enough to deserve a reknot some day.

14. PickledNorthern

I hear you. And I will admit that I am kind of OCD about my brushes, and they are also "shiny baubles" I collect like some sort of Imelda Marcos. I do not have collections like some of the guys on TSN, but I am for sure a shave brush nerd.

Having said that, I think I am being fair from a simply observant point of view, when I say that this is the ugliest put together knot I have ever had in my den. I have never seen a brush with such uneven lengths. If after some use, it blooms somewhat like a Semogue, it will be okay. But if it stays like it is, and I expect it will because of the short loft I chose, it will be a Gone Johnson. The handle will stay, I love it. It will only take fifteen minutes and about as many dollars to re-knot it and make a brush I really like, so I am not upset at all.

I used it last night, and after 12 hours of drying, it looks better. Not great, but better. We'll see.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

macaronus likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

You might get it yet!

JR Reyes likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

@PickledNorthern , It might not be pretty, but how does it feel, and lather?
    Put away your OCD thing about it looks, and be honest about its performance.
    For me, I have a hard time enjoying a shave with an ugly razor, with major plate loss.

macaronus likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Now I'm seeing the less than symmetrical knot. Swirling in the center, too. For a fair size diameter, (24 or 26mm?) it's a short loft. Still a nice looking handle that's worth investing in a better know so you can enjoy it. Life's too short to be irritated by messy bristles ;)

macaronus likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

So I am starting to forgive the dissymmetry of this knot, and really appreciate it for what it is. It is starting to round out a bit, and not be so hard on the eye. Actually, decent, and I am sure it will improve.

[​IMG]

I was probably hard on it, but I have honestly never had such a clipped looking knot before.

The tips are out of the box, pretty much as soft as my Omega 10066, which is very encouraging because none of the Zenith's have split yet.

The incredibly short loft makes this a super dense brush. It actually has a pretty okay splay, but if you don't like TONS of backbone, you should go with a taller loft. I am glad I went with this height, because it is different than any others I own, but it is SUPER short.

The sheer performance of this brush is bringing it up in my estimation, and I will admit that perhaps I was quick to judge.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    RyX, macaronus, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

I received my Zenith yesterday. It looked very well made. The handle was aluminum, and felt light. Not heavy, like I thought it would be. That's a good thing. It ha a little of the boar brush funk. I soaked it then did a couple of leathers with some Stirling Deep Woods. The brush lost only 5 hairs. I left it with the soap on it for an hour, then rinsed and did a shave. Most of the funk had disappeared. I face lathered with the Stirling.
    The Zenith was very soft, and had very good backbone. It only lost one hair during the face lathering.
    I did not notice any problems with the contour of the brush, it was cut evenly. Overall, a very nice brush, especially for only $20. I love this handle. This is one brush that will stick around, for a long time.

RyX, clint64, macaronus and 1 other person like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Photos Sir! How are we to be induced to get one without eye candy?
    Ed and Edd.gif

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.