The Complete Schick G Type Injector Series

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Billyfergie, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Schick Type G series was introduced in 1946 with the Eversharp take over from the Schick Repeating Razor Company until they ceased production in the year 1955...When the Type G 1 was introduced it took over from the Type E s that ceased production in the USA in 1946..Canadian Type E Injectors however were continued to be made for many years after the Eversharp introduction of the G 1 well into the mid 1950s..:)

Eversharp G Type series...:cool:
    G1: moulded Ivory plastic seamed handle
    G2:14kt gold handle (solid metal)
    G3: Gold plated ( Hollow handle )
    G4: Schick 66 - blue handle, chrome textured head
    G5: Turquoise handle (Often referred to as ladies Schick)
    G6: Clear amber plastic handle
    G8: Square, partially ribbed handle

Eversharp G Type series in numerical order ...:p
    [​IMG]
    Another Group shot...:p
    [​IMG]
    The Type G series unlike Type E series did not vary in terms of aggression...In other words there are no head variation's...They all shave pretty much the same...The build quality did vary...The early type G 1 had a better build quality than some of the later rounded neck models and the Christmas Edition Gold Type G 2 is a real heavy weight to compared to the rest of the series...;)

Eversharp Type G Identification ...:eek:
    [​IMG]
    The Type G can be easily identified by the numbers on the left side of the spring....The G Type has two patent numbers...1806087 and 1969945...The Type E has a single patent number..1806087...The Canadian Type E has got the same patent number as the USA Type E but has made in Canada 1937...:cool:

Some common misunderstands...:signs081:
    Some folks think that there was a mismatch of handles going on here...That couldn't be further from the truth....As a rule of thumb the Type G 1 can be identified by the Ivory Seamed handle....But here's the thing....The so called Type G 1 seamed handle was a "Clone" of the earlier "E Type" handle....Most Type E s can be identified as having a Bakelite Butterscotch handle but that's only partially correct as there was a USA made Type E 3 with an Ivory seamed handle and also some Canadian Type E s as well...:p

USA Type E 3 & Canadian Type E with seamed handle..:)
    [​IMG]
    The one above is a Canadian Type E with an Ivory seamed handle and the one below is a somewhat rarer USA made Type E 3 with a seamed handle...To muddy the waters further there was also a somewhat rare USA made Type E 4 with a Seamed Butterscotch handle and also a later Type G 1 with a Seamed Butterscotch handle...:p
    Confused ?...:angry019:

The bottom line is that you must identify the G & E Types not by their handle colour per se but by the patent numbers as mentioned above...:happy088:

Billy...:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    KenBB, RyX, PastorAndy914 and 16 others like this.
  2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Great collection!

wmbjr, Rufus T., Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great info and wonderful collection of injectors

Redfisher, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Too bad someone had to photobomb the group picture of the razors! :D

They really are lovely and the G6 looks especially nice - very translucent. Then again, the G2 and G3 are outstanding. Who am I kidding, there's just no getting around that, in addition to be great razors, Schicks are works of art. Thanks for sharing the photos of the full line up.:cool:

5. Billyfergie

Yeah the photos are Crap as I was struggling to get the complete line up in one take...;)

How to Photo Bomb a work of Art.....:happy097:

Billy....:chores016:

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Billy,
    Fantastic collection you have! Thank you for the write up. :happy088:
    Kerry

Redfisher, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 2 others like this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Great Post! Amazing set you have there!

Ive been wondering about the G2, I always read as stated "solid metal" . What is the metal? Is it solid gold? It makes one come to that conclusion with the G3 is always listed as "Gold Plated" . So...What is it?

Redfisher, wmbjr, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Great information on these razors. The G type I have is a great shaver! The E type is much more aggressive and they look the same except for the handles and a few other things . I need to take a closer look at the blade exposure, big difference in the shave between the two! Thanks for putting this together.

Karl G, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Great stuff as usual Billy!
    Well done sir!
    :happy096:

10. Billyfergie

The 1946 Christmas edition G 2 has a higher 14 karat gold plating....The handle is not solid gold, but is gold plated over a solid steel handle....The 1947 Christmas edition G 3 has a hollow handle and is a lot lighter....The G2 is far better built and is a lot heavier than the G3....:)
    Its a beautiful injector Sir...:chores016:

Billy

Redfisher, Karl G, wmbjr and 2 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Yeah that's correct Sir...There were many models of the Type E s....The most aggressive USA made Type E is the early Type E 1 & E 2 that opened...If you look closely at the Type G & Type E you will notice that the blade gap is much the same....The comb sits further back on the Type E s however to offer more blade exposure...Its very subtle but its there...I have a Canadian Type E with a Black Handle it has a full one millimetre of more blade exposure than any other Type E...Its a beast...Some of the Type E s have a different angle of attack as well and this also effects how aggressive they are...;)
    Billy...:chores016:

Hodge, Karl G, wmbjr and 2 others like this.
  12. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and your collection. Great information and beautiful razors!

13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Great stuff, Billie!

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Thank you Sir....:chores016:
    Billy

Karl G and Redfisher like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've got to get me a G next year.
    sabbatical.jpg

Karl G, Redfisher and Billyfergie like this.
  16. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Very nice. Thanks for the info. Now something else to look for.

Greg W.

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nice little field guide! Thank you!

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Question. I just picked up an advertised Type G without a case. I did some reading on the G1 so I could match the case. Initially it looked like the red/clear square case from the 1950-53 time frame was the match. However I noticed that although my G1 has the correct two patient number(s) marking, the made in USA marking on the head and the seamed Ivory plastic handle, it has a Type E "Schick Injector" marking around a high profile type rivot. Should I assume that it was made earlier in 46 or 47 using a left over E head and/or a "G" head was somehow mismarked?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

That's the case that I have in-route for my G? I received the razor several weeks ago and have 3 shaves under my belt. All great smooth shaves (used Schick blades) I was very suprised. My dad had and injector and it was the first razor I used before I bought my own - a Trac ll.