The Contest

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by hoglahoo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

The Contest has concluded! Thanks everyone :) I'm marking what prizes have been chosen in red as they are picked.

To enhance TSD's rightful place in the online shaving community, to gather some attention to myself and my rightful place in TSD arcade, and to have a little fun, I hereby propose a game!

First thing's first:

The Prizes
    The Shave Den Store

• TWO reknotted brushes by Knotty Badger (below)
    • brush1.jpg brush2.jpg
    • ONE beautiful silver lidded bowl with soap
    • TWO soaps
    • TWO creams
    • ONE aftershave
    • A bunch of samples!
    Bob's Razor Works (cooncatbob)

• ONE Replated Gillette NEW head and 3 7/8 barber pole with an Amboyna Burl tip
    [​IMG]

BullGoose Shaving Supplies (BullGoose)

• One tub of Proraso Shaving Soap Original Formula
    Dark's Blade Supply (iamdarkangel2005)

• One Weishi Razor Chrome Silver Polished - Model F.
    Ginger's Garden (soapbuddy)

• One Ginger's Garden shaving cream
    Jimbo
    • ONE kangaroo leather straight razor strop. Click photo for Jimbo's thread detailing how he made the strop
    [​IMG]

Straight Razor Designs (Lynn and Don)

• FOUR soaps
    • ONE straight razor strop
    Superlather.com (paydepst)

• One enormous bottle of Aqua Velva Original Sport
    The Gentleman's Quarter (soapmistress)

• ONE soap
    • ONE cream & aftershave sample pack
    • ONE shaving bowl
    The Contestants
    Anyone and everyone who is a member of The Shave Den anytime before the conclusion of the contest is eligible to play except for Hoglahoo who will be (more than) content to watch the madness from the sidelines. Click here to register an account here at TSD

The Rules or How To Play

• You must be a member of our forum in order to win.

• You are only eligible to win once! But take courage, there are two ways to be a winner :)

• The first way to win: You must demonstrate quick fingers and a propensity to overcome digital adversity in the arcade by taking and holding more high scores than anyone else has by the end of the contest. Any high scores you've lost will count against you. At contest's official end the damage will be surveyed and the top three participants will each choose 4 different items from the prize list above. No scores will be counted until the contest's start time on Sunday!

• The second way to win: I know not everyone is an arcade nut. So the last three prizes will be decided by random drawing which will include everyone who posts into the sign up thread (click here to sign up) with the phrase "sign me up" somewhere in their post. The three persons who are drawn will choose 4 prizes from among the remaining loot. All are welcome to sign up for this one with no precondition other than you must have signed up in the sign up thread by the time of the random drawing.

• Honor system: Please don't cheat. No outside software flash manipulators, no duplicate accounts, etc. Some games require thinking outside the box though in order to succeed. Feel free to try different things. If you have any questions or concerns please ask them here or if you would prefer to ask them in private then contact me here. Don't bother sending me a forum pm, I'm sure my inbox will be full. If a moderator or admin would like to volunteer to field questions, go ahead and edit in your name here
    Duration
    The Contest will last from 12:01 am Sunday June 21 my time (CST) to 12:01 am Thursday July 02 my time. That gives you two weeks to play in the arcade unfettered by my harrassing. You may sign up for the random giveaway now but your starting high score count will not be recorded for the contest until June 21.

Make sure you're around sometime near after the 4th of July so you can claim your prizes. If you don't show up within a few days of the announcement of the winners, you may either lose your spot in line to pick your prize or you may miss out completely.
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who donated! Don't forget to support the vendors' links above and check out what they have to offer. Thanks Bobby, JoAnna, Will, and everyone who helped put this together and finally to everyone who is about to participate. Thanks TSD!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have fun and good luck!

2. hoglahoo

addendum

Clarifications

Where is the Sign Up thread for the random giveaway?Can I play the arcade for prizes and enter the drawing too?
    Yes you can play in the arcade for prizes and also sign up for the random giveaway. If you end up being one of the three winners of the arcade portion of The Contest, you will automatically be disqualified from winning in the random drawing which will take place after the arcade portion has finished.
    I just joined TSD today. Can I still play?
    Yes. You can enter either or both contests anytime between contest's start and contest's end. In fact bring your friends. All are welcome. But don't register duplicate accounts or one for your kids, pets, dead uncles, etc.
    Hoglahoo has all the high scores. Why try?
    I won't be playing for obvious conflict of interest reasons. Besides, the winner of the arcade portion of the contest will be determined by net high scores gained for each player between the time they entered the contest and the time the contest ends. The player's individual rankings page will be used to determine how many high scores he or she has at both contest's start and contest's end. We plan on asking Bobby to suspend play for an hour or two before contest's start so the starting numbers can be recorded all at once.
    I see two or three soaps donated by one vendor. Does that count as one prize I can pick if I win?
    No. If you win, you can choose 4 different items. So you can't take both of Rodd's brushes and two SRD soaps. But you can take one sampler basket and three soaps from different vendors. We want to spread the wealth!
    More info on how prizes will be doled out
    Whoever takes first place in the arcade portion will have dibs. Then the second place winner, then the third. Then the random drawing winners will do the same. I will cross out what items have been picked as the winners let me know what they want. The last member to be drawn from the random drawing will take the final four items.
    Who should I contact to get my prizes when the winners are announced?
    Anyone but me. Hahahahahaha
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have fun and good luck!

3. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

sign me up

sign me up

4. Hawkman

Hawkman New Member

Sign me up please.

5. Griz

Griz Member

Sign me up please.

Will N.

6. hoglahoo

7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I'm in if you please. Sign me up.

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Good luck to all!Seems like a OUTSTANDING PRIZE for the winner.

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Very cool! Border patrol is a good one;) And the Stella beer one is nice as well!

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

A contest? You mean like on Seinfeld ... you win.

Sign me up. I'm going for the extra large Aqua Velva! :D

11. hoglahoo

goober

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

OK Lee give me a few minutes to do some cleaning.

That's why I prefer emails as hotmail storage is much larger and I always have to delete things I may need from my PM box here.

Edit: There's room for a few more now. It's strange to find out I'm a "their" and a "they" not a him. Is there more of me around?

13. xChris

xChris Member

Lee--

A very interesting contest that you've got posted up here. "Game on!" huh? :D

I'd also like to post my thanks to all of the vendors that donated prizes for this contest.

14. CaptainDave

CaptainDave New Member

Well seeing as I have very little for my new shave den...bring it!

15. hoglahoo

I've already gone into arcade withdrawal :(

:happy102

Yes a hearty thanks to the vendors who donated and everyone who helped - they know who they are :D

16. Captain

Captain New Member

Prize is absolutely spectacular!

17. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

sign me up.

18. RayG

RayG New Member

This looks like fun, Lee. Sign me up please!

19. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

sign me up

sign me up

20. hoglahoo

Well I took the tally of high scores to get a starting point for the final count two weeks from now. A few of you started early but that's ok, no harm in getting in some practice :D (the game officially started 22.5 hours ago as per contest rules)

I am debating whether or not to publish the list of starting scores so you can track your own progress against whoever is in the lead through the contest - what do y'all think?

good luck!

PS sign up for the random drawing in the other thread! click here: http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13834