The Definition of Sharp

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Chuck Naill, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I agree.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

My edges are not uncomfortable and my face does not sting post shave. I started the thread just to say I judge the edge by a first pass, but I now know I should judge them based on the second or third. The reason is if I use a manufactured blade, a first pass on my beard type is going to yield a similar shave to the SR.

Leclec13 and Edison Carter like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

As long as the shave is comfortable, and the end result is smooth, it's a sharp razor. :D

4. Chuck Naill

Just a follow up as I have been using a more shallow angle the past couple of days and finding any cutting feel to have diminished. Very smooth shave with the edges that I've evaluated.

Steve56, Trigger, Leclec13 and 3 others like this.
  5. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

You got it. Cut, don't scrape.

6. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I enjoy the feeling of sharp - even shavette sharp. I finish with a progression of diamond pasted balsa,
    .5u, .25u and .1u. While the .5 and .25 are very sharp they aren’t quite comfortable. The .1 really smooths out the edge to a comfortable level.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I feel the same way, if it isn’t sharp it isn’t comfortable.

8. Chuck Naill

.1 has transformed every straight razor that I use. I can now get the same shave as I do from a Feather SS shavette using Feather Pro Guard blades.

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s kind of interesting that ‘sharpness’ is equated with fineness (of honing grit).

When testing/using jnats, I usually equate a finer grit stone with a couple of qualities, one is smoothness, and the other is how long it takes for my 5 o’clock shadow to reappear. If it’s a velvet squeegee and the 5 o’clock shadow shows up around 10:00 pm, I associate that with a finer grit stone. I understand that equating smoothness with a finer grit stone may not be technically correct, cotis are smooth and not that fine.

I can create a shavette-like edge on clear water with several of my jnat finishers, but I don’t enjoy those edges that much. Don’t misunderstand, these edges are every bit as smooth as the other edges that I enjoy better, but if you’re not minding your Ps and Qs, they like to give you a little ‘love bite’ just to get your attention. Other than just being able to do it, there’s really no reason to create the ‘fussy’ edge when I can just as easily create an edge that performs as well but with a lower ‘pucker factor’.

10. Steveclarkus

Pucker? What’s puckering dude?

Steve56 likes this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You don’t want to know...

12. Chuck Naill

You've just demonstrated why there is no such thing as a hone master in shaving ,and I mean that with all due respect.

Whatever occurs by using diamond paste results in a better shave. By better, I mean more efficient, and by efficient I mean fewer passes. I would never suggest my experience will or can translate into your experience.

Could I produce something similar with your stones? Perhaps, but for less than $20, why would I try?

Hone masters have taken over the SR forums. They get pissed anytime they are questioned. That said, they never shave my face, but they are content to tell me what should work. It's really quite laughable. Please don't take offense, brother Steve.

Perhaps when the works all done this Fall, me and you can meet and break bread. These discussions would be so much more meaningful then.

Edison Carter and Steveclarkus like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

I've thought about these discussions and applied them to other tools I use where sharpness is a factor. Whether it is a lawn mower blade or a firewood splitting axe, sharpness determines the amount of work that is required to perform a task. More sharp mean less work. How you choose to get to sharp is another matter of discussion.

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

No offense taken sir. You’ve mastered honing when you can make the edge that you want.

15. Chuck Naill

So, my shave from this morning is 11 hours old barely anything on the cheeks, corners, or chin. Moustache area of course is beginning to show. Was the edge sharp. Some might question, but not me.

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

For me, nothing outshaves:

This...

20190314_115427.jpg
    $13

And this......

20190507_003834-1.jpeg

Also about $13

4-5 shaves per 1/2 blade.

A guy who has sold and honed over 20 thousand straights told me the Feather Artist Club will beat it. I have never tried one.

A Feather DE will go 5-7 shaves per 1/2, but are a little 'toothy' on day 2.
    Edit... day one

Shaving with and honing true straights is a skill, hobby, and art form that brings a challenge snd satisfaction to me. Smoother, faster, more comfortable shaves? ...... hmm, I don't think so.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

The Feather is the only shavette in my collection. I started with the Pro Guard blades and have not used them all up to date. I've found the Feather system to be a good one, easy to use, and light as air. This is what I use to define sharp for the blades I prepare.

18. brit

brit in a box

gsb blades are great blades sir..

19. Steveclarkus

I agree about the Feather blade. I find it to be very sharp but somehow offensive. Personna Blue were my favorite blades when I used a DE but not so in a shavette. Derby is the most comfortable for me so far and plenty sharp enough and I believe I have enough for the remainder of my life. I generally use traditional straight razors but appreciate the convenience benefits of shavettes

Steve56, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have a bulk 100 of 'Comfort Coated' Personnas in a blue box. Not sure if they are the same or not. For me they are like Derby, 1 and done.

Now that you reminded me I prolly ought to use them up.

Steve56 likes this.