The Derby Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by chrisf8657, Mar 22, 2016.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

When I started wetshaving, I started with a Derby. Never touched one again, and I've heard the same accounts many times - bad shave from them. What started me with them was every, and I mean almost every, picture of a razor on the web had them in it. So I though that was what everyone though was top of the line.

I got a sampler pack that had them too.
    Did anyone else notice this, or think this, when they started?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Yes, they seem to be the blades with almost every razor purchase. I don't mind Derby blades. I used them because they came with my first razor purchase too. They tug a little bit, but they still give me a nice shave with zero irritation. Are they as good as Astra SS or Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow? Not even close. I probably won't buy Derby blades again but if I get a 5 pack with a new purchase, I'll certainly use them.

opsimath and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I think their price has a lot to do with them being a popular giveaway.

White731 likes this.
  4. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

This was the reason I purchased them years ago. I only have one tuck left, but I'd have to be totally out of everything else to ever use them.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Derby's sucked for me when I started and they recently sucked more for me when I gave them another shot. I don't know why anyone would settle for Derby's when at best they are subpar with so many better choices out there. That's just me though...YMMV :)

AGHisBBS, ob1page, PaPa K and 2 others like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

;)

AGHisBBS, Slipperyjoe and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Derby gets a bad rap because brand newbies use it early on, apply cart shaving pressure and technique, and tear their faces up. Then they change razors, further confusing their efforts to identify the problem. Learning how to shave is far more critical than any blade selection. After 300-400 DE shaves, blades really won't matter that much. Blades get blamed for irritation that is more likely caused by poor technique, except for @Robyflexx , he's definitely a good sport, but he just doesn't like Derby. That's just how it is for some people. I no longer worry much about blades, technique is where it's at!

opsimath, AGHisBBS, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

They work great for me. PM if you want to PIF them my way.:)

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Robyflexx

And Chris I'm not saying I can't achieve a good shave with them, they just feel tuggy and uncomfortable on my skin. Maybe something about the steel or coating, don't know. The great thing with this hobby is there is so many different options for every aspect that everyone will inevitably find something that works for them. :)

AGHisBBS, ob1page and PaPa K like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

I'll speculate that you have a beard that's so coarse that Derby may not cut it so well without excessive and irritation causing pressure, especially in a mild razor head.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  11. Robyflexx

You are correct! It is very coarse Chris, after I began experimenting with more efficient razors I came to realize this. It takes an efficient razor or adjustable at a high setting for me to have an efficient shave without the need for too many strokes to mow it down. :)

AGHisBBS, ob1page and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

You'll fare better with things like GSB, Polsilver, any Rapira...the sharper stuff.

AGHisBBS, ob1page, White731 and 2 others like this.
  13. Robyflexx

Those are all my tops! You know your stuff! :happy088:

14. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Active Member

Same for me.....Derby's are just so so & I also have a coarse beard.

15. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

+1 For me they are a good beginner blade capable of achieving a great shave -- and not as likely to bite as some others. Also, they are cheap and easily obtainable.
    I like to keep a few tucks on hand on the off chance I may encounter someone who is bladeless. Really, they do a workmanlike job of cutting whiskers, but they're not comfortable.

There is much discussion online of how many shaves one can get from a blade. Some of the claims sound incredible, but eye opening anyway -- this holds very little interest for me. I want a blade that will shave smooth and comfortable from first to last -- I don't want to set any records or impress anyone. If I could find a blade that shaved like a dream come true, I wouldn't care if I needed a new one every shave.

With that in mind, I have to say that Derbys are losers in the comfort competition for my beard.

16. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I don't dislike Derby's but I don't really like them either. I can get a somewhat descent shave with no irritation. I have to limit myself to a two pass shave with a little touch up. I've done a three pass shave with a good amount of touch up though. I didn't get any irritation. What I did get was a terrible case of razor burn though. If I limit myself to an "ok" shave I can tolerate them. There are blades that I will not use again, Derby's aren't them.

AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  17. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Derby's tend to work well in my more aggressive razors but for some reason they work great in my Krona.
    There are many worse blades out there.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I am fortunate in the sense that I have pretty average beard density, and the hair is not too curly or coarse. My skin and hair are quite typical for someone of northern European descent. I can use any blade, in reality.

What I can't figure out about Derby... It comes from Turkey, and I bet the average beard in Turkey is way tougher than say Scotland. Doesn't make sense, you'd think a blade from the Middle East would be sharper to suit what I perceive as the average user.

AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  19. I have to second this and I believe the reasoning is sound. I use Derby as well as Shark ( another blade that gets bad reviews) blades without issue.

20. English expat

English expat Active Member

I also have a coarse beard and like the esteemed gents above Derby just isn't comfortable for me. My top two choices thus far have been Gillette 7 o clock blue and feather. Will keep on experimenting though. After Bama Samaurai's comments I will open the Polsilver this morning.