The end of Atra/Trac II?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by gorgo2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

All Trac II and Atra carts - the real thing, not storebrand equivalents - are 50% off at Meijer (which is still way overpriced even 1/2 off).

The only time I see this happen at Meijer is when something has been permanently phased out of their stock, which has usually coincided with something being discontinued by the manufacturer. Same thing happened with injector mags and other stuff I'd bought. Dunno for sure, I think I'll ask someone next time I'm in the store.

178-bplatoon and Bird Lives like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Aww Maang...Check it out....I don't even have one of those razors anymore...but if they're being phased out....hmmm, maybe I should get a nice metal atra handle and stock up....

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well at least the shaving world isn't losing anything important....:happy096: Might even be good for DE razor and blade makers, this could help bring more shavers into the fold! Why stock up? I never found the "Genuine" blades that much better than the store branded myself and I used a Trac2 for 34 miserable years....:)

Bird Lives likes this.
  4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

While Gillette branded Trac & Atra carts are no big loss. I'd be heartbroken if Personna quit making them. Two bladed carts give me a great shave and are great for travel. And at 30 cents pet cart, they are a steal.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

To each his own but otherwise, ayup. The two times I was able to sample NOS TracII/Atra carts, I felt and saw no appreciable difference from using Dollar General's version for (at typical prices) around 1/9th the price.

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I could be wrong but Gillette seems never to really discontinue anything..probably just the store. Anyways there seems to always be someone out there making those things. Never really got on with them myself..glad for the EE...

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I really hope not because I like them both.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm in the "No big loss" camp.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    OH, NO, not the TracII...:shocked003:

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, I haven't had any Trac II experience, but a bud of mine uses it. He'd be heartbroken if they stopped producing the carts!

11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

They both offer a cheaper alternative to the Fusion, so it would be bad for those who use cartridge razors to lose that option.

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I was being nice...I mean as far as carts go...I mean...there is kind of a touch of sentimentality.....ahhh....who am I kidding....As long as I have a Schick in operating order and plenty of Injector Blades....and..and Perma-Sharp Supers are still in production....I can handle whatever the shaveapoclypes dishes out...:happy069:

178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have used them for years and travel with the Atra without any problems. The silver plate Atra handle is excellent

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

There seems to be Gillette brand Track II being offered on quite a few on line vendors, though kind of pricey..they want 18 samolies for a 10 pack..same price as the WM. Also available are the inexpensive generics..Personna, Supermax and good ol' Colonel Clink..lol Dovo. Lot's of TII handles around too...

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My experience was a little different. I found the Gillette branded Trac II cartridges to be noticeably better than their store brand counterparts. The Gillette cartridges cost more, so I usually got the store brand instead. Trac II cartridges became mighty scarce about 20 years ago. It seemed like they all but vanished overnight. They were so hard to find that I switched back to an electric, and did not switch back to the Trac II until the early 2000s.

Which is precisely why Trac II carts being discontinued is a big deal, even if most folks here don't thinks so. For the great majority of people, the alternative to the Trac II and Atra is one of the 3-5 blade cartridges. They do not even consider safety razors as an alternative, mainly due to lack of awareness. Some others are also turned off by the "scary" safety razors that they think will cut up their face. Why not do your bud a favor and give him a link to Mantic's videos and an introduction to The Shave Den?

macaronus likes this.
  16. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great idea! I might just do that (and give him Stuarts link as well!) :happy088:

Weishi Warrior likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I almost forgot to add Leisureguy's book, which makes a good addition to this forum and Mantic's videos.

It looks like at least some of the confusion originated from a forum, which will go unnamed, in which a post contained inaccurate information. An online vendor was quoted as saying Trac II cartridges are no longer made. A look at the vendor's website revealed no such claims. The post in question is well over three years old, so any worries were misplaced.

What the website did say was:

eBARBERSHOP TRAC II - Type Razor With Gold-Tone Metal Handle (225)
    $29.95
    eBc2
    Super Attractive eBARBERSHOP Gold-Tone All-Metal Razor...Accepts Trac II, Trac II Plus & All Similar Blades...This Type Razor Is No Longer Made By Gillette...Boxed

and

GILLETTE TRAC II Plus Blades (Set of 10 Blades)
    $24.95
    NW
    BECOMING HARD-TO-FIND! Pack Of 10 Original GILLETTE Replacement Blades For The TRAC II & TRAC II Plus Razor...These Blades DO HAVE The Lubricating Strip For Superior Smoothness and Comfort!

The Gillette made Trac II cartridges are anything but scarce where I live. And Gillette no longer makes the Trac II handles? After 40 years is that any great surprise? They also discontinued the Slim, Super Adjustable or Super Speed. There are plenty of Trac II handles available online, so the Gillette originals will hardly be missed. There is a great deal of useful information on the wetshaving forums, but the chaff to wheat ratio can get rather high at times.

19. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Digging up an old post but, noticed the Gillette brand TracII blades are being marked down at my local Kroger.

20. jonmich

jonmich Member