The F&W Clockwork Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jun 20, 2020.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

An adjustable slant would be the obvious guess.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and timabababaluka like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We have a winner!!! I'll start a new thread in a minute to discuss that project and your possible reward.
    Buzzzzzz. Nope.

timabababaluka and Droo78 like this.
  3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Woohoo!!! With that kind of luck, I need to go play the lottery today to continue my good fortune. :happy093:

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm guess the B5 stays on the want list. Too bad

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1592928284427.JPEG
    One of these days I'll have to give you guys something better than a ten minute sketch.

I've spent the last day or two going over both of the shake sharp patents, really looking at the design of the 'shake' mechanism. If you are using mostly stamped parts, the shake sharp arm makes perfect sense. For a machined or 3d printed part, a cam makes more sense.

I've also ditched the open comb, for the same reasons. I've decided to switch to a roller guard style guard. The rollers will be much bigger than those found on a roller guard baseplate, I think. It all depends on how and where they attach to the razor.

I've also switched to a Berkeley Custom Shaver inspired handle design. Two reasons. The first is ergonomics. The second is to have room to house the guts of the various mechanisms.

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am liking this design. It can be done in printing for the large components and machines the guts in Brass. The handle can also be machined. Lots of ways to go on this design.

timabababaluka, Droo78 and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've gotten the design to a point where Tom can start prototyping. The design has changed significantly from the initial concept, but I still think it's going to be a "hold my beer and watch this" kind of razor.

I'm not sure the "F&W Clockwork Razor" is a good name for it anymore, but it rolls off the tongue a bit easier than the "F&W self lubricating, self sharpening, floating head, adjustable tension razor with roller guard."

I'll explain the concept behind the floating head and adjustable tension later, when I'm not falling asleep. Also which group of shavers I think would benefit the most from this particular design.

A few highlights you guys might find interesting. At this time, the design calls for at least 6 springs and could go as high as 10 springs. The baseplate has 4 layers. The cap is a seperate piece, but is quick detachable.

I'm still holding out for a clear lexan demo version, just so you can see all the different moving parts, but the actual razor will probably be made from whatever Tom decides works best.

timabababaluka likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

We can make it out of Lexan and maybe some brass where needed.

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I should also point out that if everything works as it should, lexan is also available in clear tint and solid colors.

PLANofMAN, timabababaluka and twhite like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    One of the things that make the Shake Sharps truly unique is the spring loaded baseplates. This is part of what gives a shake sharp razor the stiffness and shaving characteristics of a single edge razor.

What I've done is to allow the springs to be adjustable. A good analogy is adjustable shock absorbers on a vehicle. You can set it for a stiffer ride or a softer ride. In effect, the baseplate can be set for maximum compression, which should, in theory, make the blade edge very rigid. Alternatively, lowering the compression will let the blade 'float' more, which will increase blade chatter and cause the razor to behave more aggressively.

Technically, the whole upper baseplate floats on springs. It is my hope that this design will be uniquely suited for head shavers.

timabababaluka, Droo78 and jmudrick like this.