THE GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Aug 15, 2018.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am going to have to revise the family grouping thing now that I've acquired those transitional Aristocrat razors. the 46 / 47 identifier on the Aristocrats looks to be a fluke or or a case of mistaken identity on my part. I could just clean up and scrub the post but as new information becomes available I revise my conclusions. One of them razors already throws the whole family thing for the loop. Once the other razor bought gets here I'll be able to better figure out what is going on at least with the razors made from 46 - 50.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are pictures of my 4 distinct variations of US Aristocrats from 46 through either 47 or 48.

This first picture shows the common 46/47 variant on the left and the first of 2 transition razors to the what I'll term the common 47/48 - 50 common no date code variant. The one on the left has the old style safety bar like earlier model Ranger Techs and such. The one on the right has the new creased safety bar which for sure was introduced in 47 or else we'd see it on earlier models like Ranger Techs or earlier model Aristocrats. They both share the same handle style and lack of notching.
    46-47crat.jpg

Next up shows how the 2 less common variants differ. They both share the same handle style and creased safety bar, only difference is the center bar, left having no notch and right have notches.
    47x2crat.jpg

Finally the second transition razor next to the common 47/48 - 50 variant notice the only difference is the change in handle style.
    47x2crat2.jpg

Here is a side view of all 4 so you can see them in order of how they would have been produced and sold. The fact the 46 / 47 is missing it's end caps makes it easy the distinguish visually here from the first of the 2 transition razors.
    4xcratside.jpg

Seeing what is common and what isn't we know for sure based upon other razors which notch version came first and which no notch version came first and in which order overall.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    brit and RyX like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Unless I can figure something out here is what I mean by the base plate orientation thing. The switch doesn't follow the introduction of the super speeds and here is the proof knowing at least one of those transition razors was made in 47 for sure.
    First is the side by side to show the order the razors were made between 46 and 47/48.
    4xcratside.jpg

Here are the base plates same order top side had Pat Nos. On Package all lined up the same.

underside.jpg

Notice the change happened not when according the revisions of the base plate but the handle itself. The 3 on the left are the same regardless of notching or creases in the safety bar.

At least for this era we can conclude that change in lettering on the base plate orientation was the result of a change in handle styles in the Aristocrat and the same orientation change happened when they changed the handles from the 46 Ranger Techs to the 47 Super Speeds since the 3 variants on the 40s style super speed (2 have lack of center notches, 1 without a creased safety bar, the other with and the common notched variant) all share the same orientation when they share the same handle style. This also explains the base plate orientation difference between the 47 Aristocrat Jr and 40s style Super Speeds. It had to do with the change in the handle and not to do with a family grouping thing based upon base plates.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The last 2 posts here are for clarity to show exactly what the base plate orientation and handle connection is for post war TTO Gillettes including Aristocrats at least until 50. Unfortunately I don't have the 46 Ranger Tech to show but here are 2 no notch Super Speed variants a gold plated 47 Aristocrat Jr and Milord since I don't have the nickel plated one to compare right now.

First here are first Super Speeds introduced in 47 without the notches one without a creased safety bar and one with.
    47ss1.jpg

Here is the second variant with the creased safety bar same as the notched Milord which is the same as common 47 and up NDC 40s style Super Speed.
    47ss2.jpg

Finally the second variant and Aristocrat Jr. The second variant proves the Aristocrat Jr had to have been made in 47 since they creases came first in 47 then the notches in the center bar.
    47ss3.jpg

Here is a side by side of all in the order they would have been produced and sold based on head revisions. Aristocrat Jr is the 3rd razor.
    47ss4.jpg

Finally the base plate orientations, Aristocrat Jr is the 3rd razor again. See how it is the only one that is different. If you flip them over they all will read Pat Nos on Package from left to right the same.
    47ss5.jpg

Like the Aristocrats the change has to do with the handle not the base plate being changed.

brit likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is the last post that seals the base plate orientation flip had to do with handles and not razor families for post war 46 to 50 NDC models.

On the left is the US Rocket style Milord and on the right is the 47 and up Milord aka 40s style Super Speed. They share the same notches and creases on the safety bar so both are 47 or later but before 1950.
    milord1.jpg

Here is a side view to see the handles better
    milord2.jpg

Finally the base plates same thing as the other examples with the Aristocrat Jr handle being different from the 40s style super speeds and the handle change in the Aristocrats in 47 or 48.
    milord3.jpg

That is pretty much everything you could care less about and file under useless information concerning post war 46 to 50 TTO US made Gillette razors. Except for one more possibly unknown variant but more on that in it's own seperate thread since it doesn't pertain to Aristocrats. Only way to know for sure is to put it to the shave test.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    brit likes this.
  6. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

What are the open comb TTO aristocrats called? And what is the ballpark figure for one?

Those Gillette are so confusing.

brit and RyX like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Few more pictures here is the difference between a 41 and 46/47 US crat. The 41 like the 46 used to have end caps at one point.
    The 41 is on the left and 46/47 on the right.

4146crat1.jpg 4146crat2.jpg 4146crat3.jpg

And here is what I believe based on everything I know about these razors to be a legit Regent Tech without a case.

regent1.jpg regent2.jpg regent3.jpg

The only difference I can discern between this and the 41 is this one never had end caps to begin with. If they sold this same razor with and without end caps then it goes to reason the ones without end caps had to have been sold as Regent Techs for sure since they only produced without end caps will date earlier than those with. Since both variants exist and they only sold the Regent Tech set in 1940 and it also being the first year they went to safety bar TTO razors then one above had to have been in a Regent Tech set for sure. The one without end caps maybe in Regent Tech sets depending but definitely as Aristocrats starting in 41. I've never seen one that didn't legitimately not have end caps sold as an Aristocrat and have seen almost 10 examples now of unfinished 41 variants in Aristocrat cases or by themselves. Also same razor or not the second you re-plate one of these and put it in a Regent Tech case there is no way to authenticate that the razor actually belongs to the Regent Tech set anymore. It is also too easy to take a 41 remove the end caps then re-plate it before putting it in a Regent Tech set and charging a premium on a razor that would otherwise sell for less. If the razor was re-plated or missing end caps caveat emptor when packaged in Regent Tech case.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    RyX and brit like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is a what should be an Aristocrat I don't think any Gillette collector myself included even knew existed prior. If they did there should be some documentation on this razor which I've so far found none.

ras1.jpg ras2.jpg

It looks like a British Aristocrat but notice the first oddity is the TTO knob. It is solid with no cross grooves through the spiralling. None of the British Aristocrats far as I know had a solid style knob like this. Second picture shows it is not a British but US razor with no date code. Even though not pictured I do know that it says Pat Nos on Pkg on the base plate so that would put it at 1950 if it doesn't have a date code. The handle also looks to be rhodium plated with a nickel plated head but I am unsure of that at the moment until I receive the razor.

Unless this is some sort of custom made razor by a hobbyist type we have a previously unknown US Aristocrat based upon the British versions.

I'll post better pictures once it arrives.

brit and RyX like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Isn't that an Executive?
    [​IMG]

brit and BBS like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

looks like a crossover prototype like they did with the u.s. crat jr in 1947 ish

11. brit

brit in a box

ahhh yes that rare elusive executive.., 1 year only ...

BBS likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit and RyX like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd like to add once I receive this razor I am going to do something some collectors would hate. I am going to *gasp* use it to shave with.

RyX, Screwtape and brit like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Just so you know I didn't forget about your question you asked me awhile back. Next week it is looking like I'll finally get to shaving with all those US Aristocrat razors. Will post up once done what appreciable differences there are between the variants.

I can say with a good deal of certainty the 2 notched versions should be identical and know for sure already having shaved the common 46/47 one that it does differ from the common notched 47 and up versions. They both get the job done with the same end result but the 46/47 one is a bit smoother while the 47 and up ones are more aggressive and less smooth.

RyX and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

thats cool, thank you, looking forward to your findings. may experiment myself also, though i only have the 46-7,and a 50 aristocrat to compare with for u.s.models..

RyX likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

all my mint razors i shave with.. except my 46-7 crat ,still a virgin as is my #27 flat bottom set.there time is coming...

RyX and Screwtape like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here it is, though technically sold as an Executive in the US it is styled like a British Aristocrat. This one is a 1950 model. Unless I am mistaken they only produced these for Christmas of 49 and 50 with no production models produced any other quarters between. Time to use it tomorrow.
    ex1.jpg ex2.jpg ex3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    brit and RyX like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool, i m following...

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The verdict is in these 2 as far as the shave.
    4146crat1.jpg

Left is the 40/41 Regent Tech/Aristocrat, right is the 46 - 47 standard curved safety bar variant Aristocrat.

These are not the same razor at all. Both are pretty mild as it turns out the 46/47 is the better of the 2. It is a lot more smooth and efficient along with an overall closer shave. That 41 I would compare it to a Ranger Tech except for one thing, this razor cuts hair evenly on me regardless of where on the face. The overall closeness was the same anywhere I ran my hands on the face.

The 46/47 is like a super smooth New Long Comb. The New Long Comb you have to take your time shaving with it, this razor you can almost shave it without a care of nicking yourself like a Super Speed. This and the 34/35 open comb Aristocrat maybe the best 2 TTO versions of this razor Gillette produced. Not that the others aren't good razors but these seem to blend the best aspects of all the different variations.

It seems like the Aristocrats follow a mild to aggressive trend depending the production model with the earliest safety bar TTO's being the most mild and latest the most aggressive.

The 3 major aggressiveness delineations I know from shaving these is the 46 and earlier models, the 47 - 53 versions that have the notched center bar and creased safety bar and finally though not technically an Aristocrat is the 53 and up Diplomats being the most aggressive.

Next couple of days I'll know where the other 2 variants fall on this scale.

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i recently tried my unnotched 46, was a very nice shave,will use my 50 crat next, i should try a side by side one shave comparison.. i like reading your reports...