The Gillette Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by BABYFACE, Mar 7, 2009.

1. BABYFACE

BABYFACE New Member

Now I understand why this is a CLASSIC. Excellent balance and grip. Absolutely awesome shave. Shaved with adjustment on 4 WTG. XTG & ATG and on 3 under neck area and for oil buff touch up.

Second shave was 5 and 4. But in hindsight 4 and 3 are sufficient even though never felt the blade once and zero irritation both times.

It is quite heavy so no pressure needed - and gripped at the lower third of the handle. I went slow to really enjoy the feel. The lyrics from Earth wind and fire come to mind '..and glide like a 747...' - thats just how it felt for me.

One of the greatest gillettes ever. I paid $10 off ebay for c.1959, yes it was very shabby - the black numbers mostly dissappeared so i removed them completely, along with the black circumference under adjustment screw. But cleaned up lovely. Barkeepers and detol to scrub, then boiled in boric/salt water, then barbicide and then aluminium oxide paste and high speed multi tool. Maybe I sometimes suffer from OCD...but thats another rant altogether.

Definately recommended for any rotation. BUT only buy one if you're gonna use it and dont stash it in the cupboard, ur just forcing up prices unneccesarily. SO everyone else do not pay over the odds.
    All FATBOYS are exceptionally well made better than the Slim IMHO.But both in a different league due to the exceptional design and all metal construction, I can only hope to look this good at that age!
    Get one try it you'll love it - if not I guarantee ur money back (no offence victor kiam). MOST EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!!!

Attached Files:

2. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Fat Boy Rules

I have 5 vintage Gillette razors from the 1930's to the 70's, and of them all the Fat Boy has become my favorite. It's heft, feel and quality is amazing. It does it's job, if I do mine.

3. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Great shave

It has the weight and blance, and nearly all things are perfect on the first adjustable of Gillette. The blade aligns well in the Twist To Open compartment, making it easy to load and unload blades. Only did I give the price a lower number since these are so sought after, the prices can be a bit ridiculous. In all fairness, even if you pay more than $50.00 for an exceptional well cared for piece, this is not out of line compared to modern day adjustables from elsewhere.

4. Tvern13

Tvern13 Member

In the short time I've had mine it has become a favorite along with my Toggle.