The GoodShave - ShavingItForward

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You may well already have heard about GoodShave but I think what they are doing is so admirable that I want to bring it up in case you were not aware of their existence and/or concept.

GoodShave has designed and selling a cartridge razor w/ an optional subscription plan.
    The razor is about $12 and there is maybe not so much different about that (apart from that I rather like the design quite a bit) - the difference is this:
    [​IMG]

From their site:
    "Our founder Mark Hurson was visiting his wife who donates her time at their local food bank.
    Mark was stunned when he discovered there were only 2 razors available for a town of 50,000 people.

Volunteers at the foodbank explained that razors are a luxury item that most people could not afford to donate.
    We feel there there is a direct connection between grooming and a persons sense of dignity and self esteem.

So for every razor we sell, we donate a razor to a someone in need."

I'm a strong believer in that something as "simple" as a nice haircut and well groomed face have a huge impact on how the world views you and to be able to extend that luxury to people in need - is a wonderful thing.

I discovered GoodShaves through one of my 'barber hereos' Joshua Coombes who GoodShave now have a relationship with:
    [​IMG]

Some samples;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyhow, I know cartridge razors is not every wetshavers ideal razor but, if you're looking for one maybe consider this - or something along these lines and know that out there is someone who can shave because of you :)

[​IMG]

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It's good what they are doing, but cheap disposables are exactly that - cheap. Zorrik, Laser, Private Label Personna etc.

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The blades resemble Feintechnik with influences of a Mach 3, but they don't produce a four blade cart. The handle looks quite good in a Bolin Webb style.

I think they are Feintechnik:
    "We first encountered a lot of resistance with even finding good razor product to purchase and had to fly across the Atlantic to secure inventory from a solid factory."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

"Those less fortunate could not afford to spend $20-30 a month on overpriced razors"

Do Canadian's not have access to dollar stores?

"In September 2015, when we decided to differentiate ourselves from every other online razor company"

Good intent or marketing spin? However, from a shaving point of view I am interested...

5. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

I believe that to the hungry, grace/love looks like bread. Maybe to those who have no access to grooming, this is what grace looks like. This company is doing "something" instead of nothing. I have read articles on the disingenuousness of this sort of marketing; yet I think action for good even when profit oriented is better than righteous inaction. I would like see this company fund/work with organizations which work to stop the systems that lead to people becoming homeless, but if not, at least they have done something.

Darkbulb and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

How many food bank visitor's and homeless people are in Toronto, what are Good Shaves sales? "Over the holiday season we donated over 2500 razors" seems low for a one for one donation...

http://alltopstartups.com/2016/02/10/goodshave/

7. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the disposable razors in dollar stores (Supermax and Personna at $3/-) but, I agree with you. One can definitely find good brands at cheap price and fulfill his grooming needs. Recently, at costco, I saw the edge razor (Schick/WS Quattro) on sale for only $20. The pack had 17 cartridges and a handle.

[​IMG]

Edit: One more thing I would like to mention, water here in Vancouver area is very nice and has definitely helped in extending my blade mileage (20 shaves on proglide and 15 on quattro).