The Goodwill(s)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jan 29, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know little about them other than there's a few types and they're interesting looking, but am I correct that they're fairly uncommon, or less seldom seen, when compared to the usual NEWs? I've never watched for the Goodwill before but something has me curious.

This is not a crass "what's it worth" question because I don't have one and know better than to ask if I did.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Frijolero likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Last time I was in the market, they were not as common as a bar handle new, but I wouldn't really call them rare either.

I also haven't looked at razors in a couple years so I could easily be way off too.

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

There are a 5 common Goodwill razors from the US market
    No. 160, built on the chasis that most resembles the NEW, though it is not milled for a locator bar and has diamond shaped studs
    No. 162, built on the 102A chasis and reverse studs. The cap is cut-away for the studs.
    No. 164, built on the 102A chasis with corner tabs on the cap and reverse studs. The cap is cut-away for the studs.
    No. 170 built on the chasis that most resembles the NEW, though it has "L" studs and not diamond shaped studs
    No. 175 built on the chasis that most resembles the NEW, though it is milled(unnecessarily) for a locator bar and has diamond shaped studs

BlaydRunner, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can you tell me which is the one with the visibly normal NEW cap (no cutouts or engraving) and two openings on the baseplate?

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a US Goodwill. I still want a US Goodwill with the cap is cut-away for the studs .
    [​IMG]

And I have a British Goodwill made for the French market.
    [​IMG]

6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

(L to R)
    175, 160, 162, 164

4 Goodwill Razors.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool. I want one like 162 or 614.

cliffb599, Frijolero and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends the Goodwill. Some are fairly common, some are not. Some are more desirable than others and that drives the price up for certain models vs others. They all in the main shave differently.

As far as the US models goes you have the following

160 - These slip through as New razors on the bay quite a bit. Collectors also don't seem to be much into them because they aren't the ornate ones with the cut outs in the cap. Shave is similar to a Gillette New short comb

162 / 164 - These are the ones everyone seems to want first and as such demand drives price with them. The only thing they share with in common with an Old Type is the base plate shape. They aren't mild but are nowhere near as aggressive as Old Type and less aggressive than a 160 or 175. I can't think of any razor that compares shave wise.

170 - I've never owned one of these so I can't comment except to say either these do not come up for sale very often if at all.

175. These sometimes slip through as New razors also. Shave is similar to a New Long Comb.

In the main none of these are as common as the New Long or Short Comb razors but the 160 is the most common. You won't be waiting weeks or months to find one unless you want a bargain priced one. The 162 , 164 , 175 are far less common but obtainable without waiting months on end if you want to overpay for one. The 170 is probably the rarest of all the American versions.

The Canadian equivalents are different shavers than their American counterparts also.

The British ones at least the one based on a British New is well like a British New shave wise.

This probably about the best resource for all the variations.
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Category:Gillette_Goodwill_Razors

The Brazilian and Argentinian versions are not that hard to find either if you know where to look.
    http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/
    This one is also good place to find monotechs.

http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with the Goodwills is finding ones without broken handles, you almost never find them without cracks in them because they are made of hollow brass tubing. They are easy enough to repair though so that shouldn't be an impediment to buying one.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Those would be perfect for refinishing in different ceramic coating colors.

Frijolero likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This one maybe my favorite of all the Goodwills.

Canadian 175
    g175a.jpg g175b.jpg

This also is the only Canadian one that looks different from it's American counterpart. If you improved a New Long Comb and made it better is what a Canadian 175 is vs an American 175. This one is like a New Long Comb that is also as smooth as shaving your face with a baby's you know what.

BlaydRunner and Frijolero like this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I had a typo in my pictured post, but fixed it. 164, not "614". I like the Canadian 175. There is another Canadian Goodwill, but it is an Old Type that is really cool. My 162 & 164 shaves just like my 102A. It has the same thick cap(minus the cut-out), but I'd call it a smooth shaver!
    Folks find one that really works for them. For me, it was the 162. For another guy I know, it was the 160. Try'em all.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I got my #160, it was listed by the seller as a Long Comb, got it cheap. Also gonna borrow your link to B&B for one of my threads, thanks for putting it up.

BlaydRunner, gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Same here and also for a 175. It pays to peruse the New short and long comb listings since the misidentified Goodwills are easy to spot by the under side of the base plates.

gorgo2, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I actually bought my first 160 because I wanted to try a New LC and, at the time, I was able to get one for less than an LC.

I've owned three of them at various times and PIF'ed all of them, not because I had any issues with them, but because I had some nice LC's and wanted to share the love.

BlaydRunner, gorgo2 and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hence the OP. ;) But I decided I'm not interested, the shaves I'm getting for my Deluxe or just too good to add to the collection.

17. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

The 162 & 164 will be different experiences from the LC & Deluxe.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

There are a beautiful little razor and they give a great shave too. This I believe is a #162.
    IMG_5027-COLLAGE.jpg

CrustyCat, Enrico, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to have found a #162 last year on Etsy that had been cleaned up nicely. I cannot explain why, this is one of my favorite razors and I have the LC and SC as well. Mine has a small, almost invisible handle crack as appropriate.

20. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. It has the same specs as the 102a from what I can see, yet it seems to be smoother than the 102a. As for the handle cracks, I solved that issue.
    8D6AAD3A-2B2F-4DF0-A6AB-CEC12F6783BF.jpeg