The Great British Meat Pie.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Geordie Sam, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Maybe everyone here has seen Sweeney Todd and is turned off of meat pies?

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This shop,

http://www.wisechoiceuk.com/Scripts/default.asp

is located about 20 minutes away from me. It's a nice place if somewhat pricey. Good selection of stuff. Owner (pictured at the top) is a great guy; he says "Hullo, lad," every time I come in. They have a frozen meat pie in the freezer section but it's not something I think I'd try when I can just buy a Marie Callendar beef pot pie, which is pretty darn good.

3. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we call those lucky folks Yoopers here.

Pretend? So that violence over in Northern Ireland never ever happened then? [​IMG]

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In Geordie's defense (not that he needs me for it), he was speaking of them being essentially one people, which they are. The Troubles were (are?) largely a sectarian/religious issue.

Can someone explain to me the etymology of moggie?

5. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Totally understand that, but let's not sugar coat the past. I think doing that is a great disservice to those who lived through it. Every country, every people, have done something horrible. Heck, my country, the United States, has one heck of a laundry list. The various American Indian Wars, Japanese and German American internment, the Tuskegee syphilis experiments... the list goes on and on, and we're only 236 years young.

Anyway, I really don't want to get us off topic. And I do apologize if that did happen. Anyway, Sam why don't you enlighten us poor Yanks? You have any recipes for meat pies, Yoprkshire pudding, bangers and mash or the like? :)

6. Geordie Sam

Geordie Sam Active Member

If I can can just say Barrylu, I think you will find it is a "cornish pastie" that has the thick edge running along one side to act as a handle, used by the Tin Miners of Cornwall, hence the name "cornish pastie." No "pie" has such an "edge".
    Please also dont think I'm nit-picking but it's Welsh, not Welch.
    Geordie Sam.

7. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Just found out it's not only Welsh but Cornwall is not in Wales

8. Geordie Sam

Regarding "pretend" I was not referring to the &^%$s in Northern Ireland (on both sides, by the way) but the Sporting/cultural pretend hatred we have for each others countries.
    We have a LOT more in common on the + side compared to the - side.

9. Geordie Sam

Cornwall is in the bottom left hand corner of the British Isles. It is an outstandingly beautiful county.
    But they have a very strange accent.

10. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

At any rate Pasties are alive and well in Southern Missouri lead mining country as well as Michigan and Wisconsin again near lead minesm

11. Geordie Sam

Yorkshire pudding is just plain flour, a couple of eggs, milk, salt and pepper, make into a batter as if your making pancakes (the same consistency) place a roasting tin in the oven with a little bit of oil to act as a coating to stop it sticking, set oven to "hot" heat tin so that oil is smoking, add batter mix, it should "sizzle" DONT open oven door for at least 15 minutes (otherwise it wont rise) check after about 20-25 mins depending on how big tin is and how deep the batter is in the pan, can sometimes take 40+ mins.
    Bangers and mash, as I said you need British style sos, fry the sos, remove from pan, using same pan, fry onions in the sos residue until golden, make up some gravy mix with water, add to the onions, thicken as desired, replace the sos back into the pan, simmer for maybe 10 minutes. make your mashed potatoes to your own desired taste. Enjoy.
    Regarding the Pie, find a good British baker, enter shop, buy a pie.
    Now, is there anything else?.

12. Geordie Sam

Pleased to hear it, Barrylu.
    I see you taught at Hawaii, that takes some beating in the beauty stakes.

13. Geordie Sam

Hi Norseman, yes we used to get a lot of Norwegians coming over to Newcastle on the Ferry for their Christmas shopping, lovely people that they are. Always spoke excellent English.
    The bit about John receiving "eternal life" just might be the funniest thing I have ever read, brilliant.

Norseman likes this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Most meat pies I have seen in the US are frozen. Fortunately I live within walking distance of pretty good English-style pub. They do have fish and chips, shepherd's pie and bangers and mash. Some good food with a pint hits the spot, and then several more pints to wash it down. :)

15. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

You know, just the term "meat pie" doesn't sit well with most of the folks I work with (I did an independent study with everyone that came to my desk) so I would imagine that the market for "meat pies" in the US would be small. It just doesn't sound appetizing although it may indeed be. Just IMO. :)

16. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

The Poms (Brits) may have developed the meat pie concept, but we Aussies perfected it.

[​IMG]

Portable, lightweight, tasty, satisfying.

In fact, I had a meat pie for lunch today. Mine however was a beef, cheese and bacon one - with smokey BBQ sauce.

@Turk, do you think the term didn't sit well because your colleagues were imagining some sort of oily pork concoction stuffed into a sweet pie pastry? That's disgusting lol.

Meat pie pastry is savoury. If you ever get the chance to try a beef Aussie meat pie, jump at it - as long as you're not herbivorous, you're just about guaranteed to love them... like vegemite.

17. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I miss ol' Geordie Sam! Poor guy seems to get booted off of every shave forum he joins.

18. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Was he booted of this one, and why was he kicked to the curb?

From what I remember, he was quite active and not necessarily on topic :)
    But he was an entertaining fellow

19. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I have no idea why he's gone but I do know that discussion of the "why" is frowned on anyway, so just as well. If you click on his avatar you'll get an error message, leading me to believe he got the boot.

20. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Fair enough.
    If it was a booting, then it is an "HR matter" and none of my business.

I wish him good luck in all his endeavours. Shaving or otherwise :)