The Haul: April 9th - 15th

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

We WILL be expecting pictures of this.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

good lord :eek: :drool

3. TomH

TomH Welcome Wagon

I received a little package from www.georgs-barbershop.de :

-1 tube Proraso green
    -1 refill Talor's Sandalwood shave soap
    -1 little tube Moustache wax

4. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Still waiting for my chrome Slant from Vintage Blades to get past two postal systems and a customs office in between. :angry019

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Trust me - Its worth the wait :happy088

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice Haul today,

Mama Bears Violet Soap
    Mama Bears Fleur De Soul Soap
    Mama Bears Rosemary Mint Soap

Shavex Alum Block

Issys Almond Soap
    Issys Olive Oil Soap
    Issys Patchouli Soap
    Issys Blueberry Soap
    Issys Peppermint Soap x2
    Issys Spellbound Woods Soap
    Issys Chypre Rose and Black Pepper Soap

Sample Soap

Thanks Mama Bear :D

AeroPress coffee maker :D

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

ohhhh, yeah, the mutha of the grandmutha of the mutha of all hauls, Neale! All I know is, this is stuff that I know already, but also stuff I never heard of. But, you too, you got a hell of a nice haul!

8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Nothing Shaving ....I'm afraid....but looking forward to them ...non-the-less:D

2 x Contoured Memory Foam Pillows

1 X Memory Foam Mattress.

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I'm in DEEP sh...trouble...now!

About an hour away from me, there's a small town called Putnam CT. Basically, the entire center of town is one big antique shop. I go there from time to time and something usually follows me home. That's where I found my shaving cabinet some of you may recall seeing. Today, I actually went there looking for an ivory or sterling brush to have rebristled. No luck.

I didn't come home empty handed though. Oh no, not ME! I am now the proud owner of not one, not two, but FIVE antique str8 razors!!!!! I've never even held one, much less shaved with one! Hell, I've never even SEEN someone shaving with one! What was I thinking?!!!!! What AM I thinking?! :eek:

The pics below are "as purchased". I haven't cleaned them up. I'll try the buffing wheel on the worst one and see how that goes. A couple were really chewed up (the scales anyway), but they were $5 ea and I'd like to try my hand at making new scales. The steel looked pretty good and one of them is engraved. Two others looked virtually new, one $10, the other $20.

My favorite though, is the circa 1865 manufactured by M. Rose & Co, Chelsea MA which has whale bone scales. It was the most expensive of the lot at $45, but it needs only a bit of cleaning and a lick or two with the hone and strop. Speaking of which, I also picked up a very lightly used hone for $10...of course, the price penciled on the box was $0.75, but who knows when that was written?!

NOW what?! This is making me VERY nervous!!!!!!!!!! I'm afraid I'm gonna need a bigger styptic - MUCH bigger!!!! Does Popiel make a home device for giving yourself stitches?! :eek: SBAD is bad enough, but THAT'S only money...THIS could be life threatening!!

Attached Files:

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Jeff ;)

I have been wanting to try the Issys Soap, and there were some Mama Bears soaps I've been wanting to try for a while now too...Finally got an order together.

I only used the Aeropress once so far, but it made a great cuppa brew, I need to go buy some coffee now though :D

Can anyone tell me about Mama Bears Tuscan Memories? Is it similar to the Rosemary Mint?

Thanks,
    Neale

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow Michael,

Those razors look Great, a little Maas or Simichrome polish should clean them up nicely...or you could send a couple to Joe, Bill, Gary or some of the other restoration masters to get them back to a new appearance and some Beautiful scales :drool

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

Looks like I'll be seeing you over at SRP ;)

Please be Very Careful using the buffer...Blades can easily catch on the wheel and get launched at you...:eek:

13. Will

Will Nevermind

From The Wife.

Clinique Shaving Cream. Never tried it, appears brush-less.

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yes, its similar to the Rosemary & Mint, but with spearmint instead of Peppermint. A hint of licorice too (possibly from anise) Nice smell though.

Nice haul btw buddy - those Issy are some incredible bath soaps. That guy does it right :happy088

Michael - have fun with your new toys :D Nice pics too

15. crackstar

Doc, Clinique is indeed brushless. It's also scentless, but enjoy it buddy! :D

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Joe!!

I used the Issys Peppermint today, Excellent soap, lathers great and loved the peppermint too. I can't wait to try the others now ;)

17. crackstar

Guys, I was told that the Mama Bear Rosemary & Mint soap has a hell of a cooling sensation when you lather up with it. Is that true?

18. xChris

xChris Member

Fergie,

Those straights look like they have a lot of potential!

The big one, Challenge, looks like a near or true wedge. Good news is that Joe Chandler could re-grind that, attach some awesome scales, and give it a lethal edge. :happy088

19. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

That's what I'm afraid of!!! :eek: I've just now gotten to the point where I can (usually) shave with a DE without ANY irritation. Not even the occasional weeper. I'm really not quite sure why I would want to do this to myself!!

20. Will

Will Nevermind

Used it today, It gets a 10 for protection. Every thing else is average IMHO. No scent.

But the price is right. Pick a tub up and see for yourself. If unsatisfied im sure someone (me) will take it off of your hands at a fair shake :rofl .