The Haul: February 15th - February 21st, 2010

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Sodapopjones, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I raided CVS as well, nothing crazy though.
    Just a heads up for those that might be interested, besides VDH brushes being 50% CVS injector blades are also 50% off.

My valentine goods...

Attached Files:

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Winter still has us in its grip. What new hauls did the post manage to get through the snow for you? Pics always appreciated. :cool:

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Actually this came last week, just now getting around to putting up the picture. An Omega 31064 banded boar from West Coast Shaving, and this thing has really impressed me so far!
    [​IMG]

4. Nickos

Nickos New Member

Just got a large blade sample pack from connaught, can't wait to test :)

5. freebird

freebird Active Member

A pic of this weeks haul and last weeks haul. The Smith & Wesson SW9M (top)was last weeks (Saturday's) haul, which was already posted in last weeks thread. It came with three 7 round mags.

The Skyy CPX-1 is this weeks haul. I traded a .22 auto Browning for it today. Both are 9mm. The Skyy came with a trigger lock and two 10 round mags. It carries a lifetime warranty. Now I'm ready for concealed carry classes. :happy088

[​IMG]

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

My wife went Antique shopping and look what she got me!

My wife got these for $3/razor!!!! I need an ID on some of these so any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the Gems, the Slim, The New, and the Schick Injector. I'm not sure
    about the Gold one with the fat handle or the silver Gillette that looks like my Red tip without a Red Tip.
    Pretty wimpy looking brush but it's also a talc dispenser and was only $3.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The gold one with the fat handle is a Fat Handle Tech, and the other is a Flair Tip Super Speed. :)

8. Dslazar9

Thanks Dridecker-you've always got the answers. Any thoughts on the wimpy looking brush-don't mean to sound like a snob but do/did folk actually use that as a shaving brush?
    BTW-your new Omega brush looks amazing.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

My best guess on the brush is a travel brush, probably from a pretty fancy travel kit from the looks of it, so yes they do get used.

Does it say talc on it?

Thanks on the Omega, it really has surpassed all my expectations! For a brush that was under $25.00 shipped, I rate it as one of the best purchases I ever made. :D

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Always wanted to try some of the classic European creams that my friend Jeff recommends so highly, and having had a chance to pick some up cheap, I just had to do it.

[​IMG]

11. Dslazar9

It does not say talc on it-that was how the antique shop designated it ("shaving brush and talc dispenser") whatever that's worth. The bottom screws off, the entire handle is hollow. The bottom says, "NY-USA
    Sterilized." That's it. The brush is sandpaper rough. I'm all for exfoliating but this would be closer to sandblasting.

12. CatMan

CatMan Member

Latest piece of hardware

This beauty finally allows me to create mounds of thick protective lather that lasts way longer than my shaving.

We get our water from a community well. The hardness is 21 grain/gallon! While I never had a problem creating useful lather (thanks to my excellent brushes), it just wouldn't last as long as I wanted it to. The solution was this water softener. Now I have to find a way to make less lather. The amount I get using this soft water is enough to shave the entire neighborhood!

OK, besides the obvious advantage for shaving, soft water also protects pipes, water heater, washer and dishwasher, makes dishes spotless clean, makes the laundry significantly cleaner while using less detergent, is better for skin and hair, and feels great when taking a shower. But then again, what is more important, all that or this fantastic lather for a wonderful shave? :D

[​IMG]

13. Empty Words

Empty Words New Member

From Carbolic soap:
    [​IMG]

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bill, now you will shave like a King! ;)

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm guessing about 20 minutes before this is someone's avatar.

16. Dslazar9

My wife is enabling me

My addiction is completely out of control. It does not help that my wife is enjoying it and enabling me. Seriously it's nice that after 2 decades of marriage and not being terribly interested in her antique AD, now I get it.
    This mall had a huge selection of straight razors. I'm not there yet, but one day... If anybody is interested in some nice vintage razors it's in Gurnee, Illinois. Here's a link: http://www.gurneeantiquecenter.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Those razors look pristine! Nice find!

18. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

WOW............ :Drool

Great haul's there :happy088

Those razors look beautiful :D

19. Dslazar9

Thanks, the Travel Tech still has the paper that says "remove before putting blade in." I still have not traveled since converting to wet shaving. I typically like to travel very light and carry-on what I'm taking. That's not going to work with the blades-not sure how I'm going to work that one out. The idea of going back to a disposable (typically what I do when traveling) hurts my face to think about it. Any ideas?

20. soopercat

soopercat New Member

Very nice, did you install a cold water line and faucet to bypass the water softener, for drinking and cooking? We are thinking of one but the additional salt content is a concern.

Kind regards,