The Haul: February 27th - March 4th, 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Other than the scent, the Suave is suppose to have more alcohol and less menthol. Other than that, I'm not sure.

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

March 3rd

First the mail brought me a puck of vintage Williams !:mail:
    Many thanks Jeff! I will enjoy it, starting tomorrow! :thanks:

Then SWMBO asked me to stop by the supermarket some 3 miles from here (on the way back from bringing our eldest daughter to a friend) for some added vegetables for tonight and for some nice bites after. I humbly obliged, as I should! :) Once there I passed by the stand with men's items. See what they have (we don't go much to that particular supermarket). No razors, no brushes, no blades, some canned goo and... Palmolive shaving cream, DVH soap and DVH Extra Fris! :happy108:My puck of DVH is almost done and I haven't tried Palmolive yet, so there was no excuse not to take it. :D The DVH came even with a free (plastic) bowl. :)

I almost can't wait for tomorrow. Williams, here I come! :happy093:

The Haul 2012-03-03.jpg

3. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

That Palmolive is one of my favorite creams. I think you will enjoy it.

macaronus likes this.
  4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yeah, thanks, I think so too, I read it is a great cream.

5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, lets see.. Proraso shaving cream, 3 Mama Bear soaps, Gem Micromatic, Gem Lather Catcher, Gem Bullet tip, 2x Gem 1912, Gem G-bar, Evershap-Schick Type E, Schick Type L, Gillette Slim 1961, 1914 Ever Ready, 200 Israeli Personna, 30 Gem single edge (gotta go back - local grocery store closing these out for 3.59 per 10 pack) various other blade samples, and a cheap but incredible smelling Herban Cowboy shaving soap. I think thats about it...

GDCarrington and macaronus like this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You've done some shopping! Good work!

Now comes the difficult part: choosing which to use first! :D Have fun!

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Let me know what you think of that stuff, I liked the scent but I don't know if they should even be allowed to market that as shave soap. I'd say that it lathered poorly but I don't want to give soaps that lather poorly a bad rap. I get better lather from water. It does smell nice though. I ended up using mine for shower soap.

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Today's flea market haul...
    uploadfromtaptalk1330811879940.jpg

tuco99, alpla444, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I really like my L1 that I PIF'd off to Luke last year. I kinda like it better than my Schick 66 that I kept.....

Use 'em in good health Jody, they are good. I also like the L1 because it is a great transitionary piece too, a good mix of traditional on the edge of becoming carts.

10. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Mike,

Enjoy that vintage Williams. It's an excellent performer as is the fellow who sent it to you.:D

macaronus likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looks like a nice batch of "Fleas" there Jody! Good job!

macaronus and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This came in this week!

Easy Rider  TSD.JPG

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I did! And they are! :D

15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Wow! You are right! Absolutely worthless stuff... I loaded my brush with everything it could possibly hold, after presoaking the top of the soap in hot water. Worked it and worked it, and ended up with a worthless thin foamy non-lather. Being stubborn, I tried to use it anyway - and am now sorry! Used it for one pass, then dumped it out and started over with something else. It now resides in the shower to use on my pits, as is appropriate for this stuff...

macaronus and battle.munky like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Won 4 of these today. NOS Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream from the 1950s.

$25.49 but I had $11.58 FatWallet.com cash-back in my PayPal account so my final cost was $13.91 or $3.47 a tube.

The vintage Palmolive LATHER is a rare breed. Usually you only see the Palmolive BRUSHLESS. Hoping the contents aren't dried up. Shouldn't be as these are new old stock.

Looking forward to trying some 1950s Palmolive Lather shaving cream! Ah but if they are dried up, I'll have a new piece for my vintage Palmolive collection.

[​IMG]

macaronus, tuco99, Hanzo and 3 others like this.
  17. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Envious. Nice haul! :cool:

18. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Couldn't help but catch the Zappa quote! Nice...

19. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have read the packaging of some of these bottles, which I obviously didn't. Having now finished off the previous stock and started to use the after shaves of this particular delivery, I've noticed last night that what was received was in fact Musgo Real pre-shave oil and not the Classic after shave I thought I had ordered. Oh well, have taken it in the stride and incorporated that pre-shave oil in my daily shave ritual. Have not compared yet against the original order, however chances are quite good that it was I who placed the wrong items in the basket instead of the dealer packing the wrong bottles… And after today’s first shave with this oil, I have to say I quite like it (first impression only, but they do count, don’t they…;) )