The Haul: January 23rd - January 29th, 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Dridecker, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Just looked at my confirmation email too, and it didn't list my state either.

My debit card had a problem with letting me do an overseas order, so I chose the "credit card details sent separately" option, and received the following email:

In the end I had them send me a PayPal invoice and payed that way.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    guess I'd better call them tomorrow. :(

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just got my first classic- a Lady Gillette Blue Star. It was in pretty good shape- just needed a little polishing with my Dremel. I'll post a pic later.

It's later; here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Sarah, don't use a Dremel! Go get a good polish like Flitz because sometimes the nickel plating is not as thick as you think. I know because I lost a razor (nothing fabulous) when I first started by using the Dremel tool on a thinly plated razor. A Dremel can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending upon the situation.

Clean the dirt with Scrubbing Bubbles and then use a clean cloth and Flitz and elbow grease. This is the best first method of cleaning.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Good fortune.

alpla444 and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Got these from my sis-in-law. A belated Christmas present...she lives out of town. Anyway these are going up at work! I'll have the best cubicle there!

[​IMG]

wyatt46, alpla444 and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I once used a cream even older than those. If the tube is sealed and the cream not hardened, it's just fine.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'll keep that in mind for next time. But in the photo I posted, it has already been cleaned, and is in great shape. I just used a buffing disc & some polishing compound.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. vanm66

vanm66 Well-Known Member

The following goodies arrived during this month:

Ach Brito Lavanda - Lavender Cologne Aftershave 215ml
    Lavanda Shaving Cream - Ach Brito - 100g
    Top Secret Shaving Cream - Confiança - 125g
    Top Secret After Shave Limited Edition - Confiança - 100ml
    Top Secret Eau de Cologne - Confiança - 100ml
    Nally Men's Estoril Sports Line Shaving Cream - 125ml
    Veleiro Shaving Cream - Confiança - 125ml
    Lavanda - Classic Mild Bath Soap - 125g
    Confiança Veleiro Bath Soap - 125g

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Soap Refill
    The Art of Shaving Lemon Shaving Soap with Bowl

Floris Elite Shaving Soap Bowl
    Floris No.89 Shaving Soap Bowl
    Floris JF Shaving Soap Bowl

Nanny's French Lavender Hard Shaving Soap - 145g
    Nanny's Ice and a Slice Hard Shaving Soap - 145g
    Nanny's Stainless Steel Tin for Nanny's Hard shaving Soap
    Nanny's French Lavender Post Shave Hydration - 30ml

plus:
    Gillette single ring in its stainless steel (?) case
    Vintage travel shaving kit including a lightly used Bristish fat handle Tech in its bakelite case and an aluminium open comb (maybe military) DE razor
    :bounce015::bounce017:
    Do you think I'm addicted?:rolleyes005:

Hanzo, rodd, Asd and 3 others like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, I certainly do. Enjoy!

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Fortunately you were able to get away that and I am glad to see it worked out. Polishing compound and a disc is really too hard for many plated items. The plating needs to be thick enough and in good enough shape to withstand it. I quickly lost the plating on an inexpensive GEM razor when I first started trying that approach. I learned from that on other razors in the future to use other methods that are maybe more time consuming but in the long run yield better results.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks for the insight. I will consider myself warned, for the future.

13. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

422159_373325602680770_100000100017191_1669112_370319793_n.jpg
    This was todays haul.....from the TSD store I got my Mango Coconut sample (smells just like the tan lotion I imagined it would).....TSD Sub Zero Sample (IMO smells like a freshly opened pack of Ice Breakers Gum).....TSD Christmas sample (Christmas being my favorite holiday this smells just like it should at first I was skeptical because im so picky with christmas stuff but I was pleasantly surprised with this scent...JoAnna does a DAMN FINE job on the scent of this soap if it shaves just as good...I will have to buy a case of this lol).....Voskhod blades....another Arko Stick......and then from Etsy I purchased this 4oz. Bay Rum Glycerin Shave Soap from a awesome seller who had %50 off her entire store due to shutting down her buisness (she tells you a coupon code on her homepage of Etsy)...I got it for $5.90 in all I believe....this was the last Bay Rum Soap so I jumped on it! Look up Paper Crane Bath Co on Etsy...she has a few shave soaps left I think Evergreen,Earl Grey,Mint and Licorice....the Bay Rum isnt too strong and I think its going to be a very good soap...I will keep you updated as for todays shave I wont be using this...I will begin with one of the TSD soaps....just cant decide which one lol...oh and THANK YOU SHAWNA ! For helping me choose the right soap with the "Sun tan oil smell in the brown bottle" lol...stuff smells terrific! I know the description already said sun tan oil but Shawna was helping me choose between Monkey Farts and the Mango Coconut for a tropical smell...and she talked me into the Mango Coconut as you can see lol glad she did!

14. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

nice stuff everyone...I'm waiting for some stuff to come in and will post my pics soon :)

15. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Brush with a story

Some 4 years ago I reintroduced my brother to DE shaving. He's 11 years older than I am, and started shaving in the sixties with ... a DE razor. Like many more wet shavers he eventually changed to cartridge razors. Until we came to talk about my new 'hobby'. As stated, that was about 4 years ago. I gave him one of my razors (a Merkur HD), a blade sample and shaving cream. (Last week I gave the replacement HD to my brother-in-law, so what's next? another HD? Perhaps I'll try a EF89 this time). My brother already had a (boar) brush, that he used with DVH soap and his cartridge razor.
    Last year he bought a badger brush while visiting London. But after using it for a couple of weeks he returned to his boar brush, for him the badger brush feels to soft. So this badger brush ended up unused and very lonely until today when my brother gave it to me.
    It's a DR Harris best badger brush, looking very good, I think. It's also way bigger than my day to day Vulfix travel brush. Of course I'm going to use it tomorrow morning...

Does anybody know where these Harris brushes are manufactured? I guess the Harris company doesn't produce brushes, but I might be wrong.
    This is the one:
    harrisbrush2.jpg

Dridecker, Asd and alpla444 like this.
  16. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Anytime Brett!

The Mango Coconut is one of my favorites. :happy088:

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

According to everything I have reviewed on DR Harris the statement comes back that the brushes are made by a "London" manufacturer. Now who really manufactures the brush...

ajdhn likes this.
  18. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I just seem to move from from one AD to another. Currently it seems to be SRAD and all things associated.
    Just bought :
    [​IMG]

Vintage ,,Tückmar Solingen,, 5/8 straight razor ,with celluloid black handle with silver inlay.No.68.
    Made from Silversteel.5/8 hollow grounded.

And:
    [​IMG]

C.V Heljestrand 4/8 razor Swedish Steel razor with ivory color scale .No.2429.
    Hollow ground.

wyatt46, Dridecker, Asd and 2 others like this.
  19. m_conley

m_conley Member

I just won an ebay auction for a RazoBrite and some unknown brush for $6.83 (plush shipping). Technically not a haul for this week. Hopefully within two weeks I'll be able to post that I have it in hand. [​IMG]

Maybe some smart person here can identify the brush from just this photo?

wyatt46, Dridecker, Asd and 2 others like this.
  20. jbraman

jbraman Member

Can you confirm the coupon code, or tell me where I can find a new one? Doesn't seem to be working.