The Haul: July 2015

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

USA Made Penn Adjustable SE safety Razor.....:)
    [​IMG]
    Another shot...:p
    [​IMG]
    And Lastly.....:cool:
    [​IMG]
    I got my Penn Adjustable SE in the post this morning from the Good Auld US of A .....This must be the fastest postal service in the West cause I only purchased this a few days ago from a USA Flea-Bay Seller....I gave it the once over and its in excellent condition .....This is a very petite razor as you can see it sticking its face out of my small boar brush.....Its a lot smaller than a Schick E Type, but its got a nice weighty feel to it in the hand.....I think this razor was made in the 1920s ....It has USA PENN INC & a Patent Number stamped on the back......The Penn Adjustable came with x 2 a propriety blades that are no longer available, but as you can see in the bottom photo a current standard injector blade is the very same length...:)

I will cut the front portion from the propriety blade and use it to seat the injector blade.....Easy Peasy .....The Penn Adjustable adjusts by screwing the Knob on the rear of the handle and this opens & closes the comb to adjust the razor from its mildest setting to the most aggressive setting....I must say that on the most aggressive setting you could drive a Panzer Tank through the Blade Gap.....;)
    I reckon that the Penn Adjustable SE will be a lovely manoeuvrable shaver with an NOS Schick Platinum Injector Blade loaded as Ammunition....:chores016:

Billy

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I read the review and I was almost interested. I'm unfortunately not into non-sweet, dry tobacco flavors. I like a hint of sweetness and an almost flavorless vape. When I do roam away from that, I vape Five Pawns Castle Long Reserve. Barrel aging and snobbery aside, it's a great tasting juice.

txskimo, Billyfergie and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not trying to sell you on JC (to some they seem to be the Microsoft of the vaping world) but Silverthorn has just enough sweetness to be palatable but not overbearing - not nearly like their fruity flavors, which I dislike, and not like heavily cased pipe tobacco. Silverthorn is on the less-sweet end of their tobacco spectrum, but it so closely mimics a decent pipe that I think I now prefer it over JC Original or Tenessee Cured, both of which are still very good.

I gently heated the open bottle for a few hours last night, then let it "steep" overnight. JC probably doesn't need it but there's already a slight mellowing to it; not as sharp as right out of the bottle so I may steep it some more. The 18 mg nic isn't blowing the top of my head off now, either.

If you'd like a small bottle to sample it, I'll be glad to (30 mL will last me about 6 months).

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

Yep it was all sitting at my parents house waiting for me to come and pick it up today. Next time I'll double check my shipping address and I won't have to wait so long...

Attached Files:

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That thing looks near new!
    You sir, owe us a lot of shave reports with all the razors you've accumulated lately :D

6. Billyfergie

Aye Aye Sir......I was quite surprized at this one as its a very modern design for its day......:chores016:

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm real curious to hear if you can get a modern injector blade to work in it as its proprietary blades have kept me away from acquiring one of these in the past.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Nice looking haul. I received the Bay rum puck from my good friend Kerry a while back. I LOVE the scent. Great, sweet bay rum. I need to experiment a little with the lather but now that my Turkish no6 has started to break in nicely I will have a good boar to load up some soap with. I tried with badger, but Didnt have any luck and my other boar is not co-operating

Could you please do a simpel comparison between the bay rum soap and the virgin Island AS?

9. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

I haven't used the Bay Rum soap yet, but it smells very nice and mild when compared to the Virgin Island AS. The soap doesn't seem to have the strong allspice notes as the AS. I will do a test lather and maybe a shave with the soap later in the week and get back with you.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Hmm.. That makes the AS seem very nice actually. I like spicy notes =)

I'm more interested in the scent than the performance. I have the Col. Bay rum soap and love the scent. I have a bay rum AS but it doesn't smell nearly as nice as the soap and I hear very good things about the Virgin island.

I can it it in Sweden =D so that's cool

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've read that virgin island smells of more clove than some of the others.
    I've only had vi and superior 70(which I had thought was an astringent, not an after shave). after seeing others use it,I tried it, and it functioned very well. light bay rum scent, nice.

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Omelmad

When I Decide its okey to buy another aftershave Im gonna get the VI bay rum =) its one of the things I have wanted to try since i got started. It wasnt cost effective =P

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice haul.

John Beeman and bnccna2 like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Personna Injector II Floating Head Razor.....;)
    [​IMG]
    Another shot...:cool:
    [​IMG]
    Floating head In Action......:)
    [​IMG]
    And lastly....;)
    [​IMG]
    I got my Personna 11 Floating Head Injector through the post yesterday....It came with two packs of Personna Twin Injector Blades...These are rare as they were not made long due to Gillette's mass production of twin head cartridge systems shortly after.....This Personna injector is in mint condition....As you can see the head moves up and down by a spring loaded mechanism ....This is not like any modern cartridge system....The head in this razor moves and glides over the contours of the face very much like the suspension system in a motor car....I have had a shave with this thing and its like shaving with a Rolls Royce....I ended up with what I would call the most perfect BBS Result with it....The Personna 11 Injector is just Ultra Smooth, Aggressive, Very Forgiving and ever so efficient .....I have got to say that its got to be the most efficient injector that I have ever come across....I utilized a Gillette Twin Trac Two Twin Injector blade....Amazing....;)

This Razor is made of Solid Plastic, but the Head & Floating Mechanism are made of chrome plated steel....We don't need a modern stainless steel injector to get the ultimate shaving experience...:cool:
    After all the M16 Assault Rife that's made of plastics has mown down more people than the Hiroshima & Nagasaki Bombs put together.... :chores016:

Billy

gorgo2, Omelmad, hippiebrian and 2 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Schick Type F Injector....;)
    [​IMG]
    Another Shot....:)
    [​IMG]
    And lastly....:)
    [​IMG]
    I received my Schick Type F in the post yesterday from the USA....I gave it a polish and it came up Shiny, Shiny....The Schick Type F was made in 1941 and was only made for a few months because precious alloy metals were commandeered for the war effort....The Schick Type F is made of high quality polished Aluminium, Copper & Brass Comb.....These are very rare and hard to find at the right price...I just sit and look at this thing as its absolutely beautiful ....I have been informed that these were one of the smoothest shavers ever made....;)
    I love the look of it.....:chores016:

Billy

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Alumonics Shaving Brush

IMG_2393.jpg
    Waiting on a Whipped Dog Boar Knot

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's a gorgeous handle.

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Razor-twins again :)
    Let me know if you get to shaving with yours before I do.

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Geee..thanks...now I kinda want one...

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

It's a hefty one.